Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Long Range won't perform Battery Health test in service mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to get an idea of my Battery health using the Service Menu's HV menu, Battery Health Test. I did the Gateway unlock and clikced on start health test, and the car shows the test is being performed and in progress, but the car doesn't do anything. No fan running, nothing. After about 30 minutes I go to check on the car and its asleep, still in service mode, and the health test isn't in progress anymore and it doesn't show that ones has been completed.
I've also sat in the car for 45 minutes watching the health test progress and nothing happens, the battery level stays at its current level and the test still says "in progress". So I enabled sentry mode, turned on cabin overheat, and got out of the car, and checked it again in about an hour.

Nothing. Still in service mode, and no results, but the test seems like it cancelled out. With no results or anything showing.

Am I doing this wrong?

Reactions: Candleflame
Many people seem to be having trouble running this test. The few that complained to service about it were told that these tools were only for Tesla personnel so you won't get anything from them.
In any case, this test doesn't provide anything that you cannot perform another way. Your BMS already tells you how much energy can be stored in it. Charge to 100% once, let it finish, and you'll get a good idea. Otherwise there's a calculation you can perform using the energy graph but I don't remember the details. Some threads around here document it. Finally, you could also do like Bjorn Nyland and charge to 100% then drive gently until the car doesn't move anymore, to see how much energy can be spent.

I'm trying to get an idea of my Battery health using the Service Menu's HV menu, Battery Health Test. I did the Gateway unlock and clikced on start health test, and the car shows the test is being performed and in progress, but the car doesn't do anything. No fan running, nothing. After about 30 minutes I go to check on the car and its asleep, still in service mode, and the health test isn't in progress anymore and it doesn't show that ones has been completed.
I've also sat in the car for 45 minutes watching the health test progress and nothing happens, the battery level stays at its current level and the test still says "in progress". So I enabled sentry mode, turned on cabin overheat, and got out of the car, and checked it again in about an hour.

Nothing. Still in service mode, and no results, but the test seems like it cancelled out. With no results or anything showing.

Am I doing this wrong?
From what I've read, you should drain the battery to near empty then run the test. I'm guessing here, but maybe your ran the test with too much charge. The test takes the battery down to zero then charges it back up to 100% in order to determine the true energy capacity of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jjrandorin
I'm having the exact same behavior on my 2018 M3 too.
Last weekend I tried it and it actually drained the battery correctly and began charging as it should have but failed during the night and went to sleep.
Now trying to get the test done and it spools up the fans for 30s then idles down and even going to sleep (HV contactors open and all) while "test in progress".
Tried to reboot the car and launch the test but always the same. The only thing I see that could be is that it's cold soaked (snowflake icon) so now I'm running the HVAC on full defrost to warm it up and drain the HV pack down to a lower state (I had it at 34% to start the test) to retry.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I tried this test tonight, I had heard about it so i let the battery get down to 6% before I parked it in the garage, plugged it in and initiated the test.

…and it did nothing. The car just sat. No noises, none of the components running to discharge the battery, nothing. After leaving it for about 3 hours, i wondered if I started the test wrong or something. So I cancelled it (still stuck at 6% SOC) and restarted the health test. I gave it another half hour, still no change, nothing was happening, so I just cancelled it so I could have the car charged and ready to drive for the weekend.

Bummer, I was interested to see what result I got. Maybe it was TOO low of a battery state? I might try again next time, start the test at like 15%.

It’s a 2018 Model 3 Performance, no FSD or EAP.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I ran the battery health test last night. The test ran, the fans were making a racket and in the morning the battery was at 100%, but it didn't fill in the % result. The only information I have is the 100% range number which I could have gotten by simply charging to 100%. I have a 2019 Model 3 AWD, does the test not work on 2019's?

I am new here but I saw a youtube video by Out of Spec Reviews that had the same issue - seems like you need to make sure the car isn't cold (battery used for warmth) and that you start the test at a low percentage so it drains and then goes back up to 100.

Correct me if I'm thinking of the wrong test though (this was that service mode battery drain 0-100% test).

Am I doing this wrong?

I did the Service Mode: Battery Health Test a few times this week without success. I had an VCFRONT_a135_coolantLevelLow alert and this was causing the the health test would stall at 20% after several hours. If the fans do not come on with with more than 8% SOC check the alerts and thermo performance test.
VCFRONT_a135_coolantLevelLow alert also cause the thermo performance test to fail with a low coolant fault .
I added 6 ozs of Zerek G48 blue coolant on the radiator reservoir..
After adding the coolant Reran the battery test, the Fans came on and the test ran without an issue Started at 24%, with fans on high, fans ran until 8% battery drained to 1% before charging started and charged to 100%
Added 50kWh to the pack and report say 82%????? this is a M3 LR AWD with 95K miles on it My calc say 63% but Tesla must be using 59kWh as their Pack sizes.
I was also having Charger issues with it stopping charges before completing and this was over the last few months, this problem is not corrected as well.

That video was posted a few months ago when the test was first released, there have been many updates since then. I was wondering if anyone has run the test recently?
I ran the test last night. Took forever for the battery to drain with no fans turning on. I started the test with under 6% battery Then I stopped the test and drove the car to 2% battery to speed the test up. At this point the car did finally drain and charged to 100%. Now it just sits here for a few hours.... It's 90° outside. I will update my status if The test ever completes.

• Informative
I ran the test last night. Took forever for the battery to drain with no fans turning on. I started the test with under 6% battery Then I stopped the test and drove the car to 2% battery to speed the test up. At this point the car did finally drain and charged to 100%. Now it just sits here for a few hours.... It's 90° outside. I will update my status if The test ever completes.
My test did complete I have 43,000 miles and the test showed 90% battery capacity left ... It took a few hours of sitting at 100% to finish for anyone interested. It also took a few hours to go from 2% to a charging percentage. Lol so be patient if you're running this test.

• Informative
My test did complete I have 43,000 miles and the test showed 90% battery capacity left ... It took a few hours of sitting at 100% to finish for anyone interested. It also took a few hours to go from 2% to a charging percentage. Lol so be patient if you're running this test.
And what did you calculate to be your capacity or deg, before you did the test?

I initially had the same problem but was able to run this test successfully.
I have a 2018 LR RWD April build.

Started the test at 9% SOC. When I clicked the Begin Test, I did hear the car power on something. I closed the door and left the car. I checked the status of the car throughout the day using the app. It shows the car was in service mode. The SOC would jump back and forth between 7 and 8%. Later in the day I noticed that it would just stay 7%. I went to the car and checked. It was the same issue described here. The car wasn't doing anything. There was a button to cancel the test. That's when I started searching and found this thread. I kept checking the app and the car but it continue to stay at 7%. Then when I was ready to abort and cancel the test, I noticed the SOC went to 8%. Went to the car and saw it was charging back up.

So for 4.5 hours, the car just sat at 7% before charging back up again. It never went lower. The car eventually charged to 100%. My 5+ years old car with 65k miles had a Health Status of 88%. I charge mostly at home. I used to charge to 80%. When Covid happen, I mostly charged to 50-60%. I Supercharge about 15x / year for my road trips.

I guess you just need to be patient and let it do its thing. What @rreinha said appears to match what I experienced. I think the car fan turned on when the car SOC was at 9% but soon stopped at 8% and then just sat around for hours.

I don't know where's the best place to post this but I had trouble running this test too and having never done it before quickly lost confidence.

I have now successfully completed it and can make the following notes (much of which is written above but it didn't give me confidence I wasn't doing something wrong):

0. Watch the online video linked above first. That gives most of the useful details.

1. This test works on all Model 3 models including Performance that has a different battery chemistry.

2. The battery must be below 50%, but it won't actually start until the car has reached 6%. If above that it will use the heater to drain the battery, which is noisy and slow. I recommend driving until it gets as close to possible to 6%. The time it worked for me I stopped with 8%.

3. Once all conditions are OK you get this message:
20231102_174014.jpg

The car then appears to do nothing for a long time! It does not immediately start charging.

4. After ~12hrs my car was showing 100% but there was still only a -- under health and no last run date. Just leave it.

5. After 19hrs (for me) my car had finally filled in the data like this I would say if the car is at a higher charge it may take the full 24hrs quoted:
20231102_172932.jpg

Additional, I have no idea if it affected the test or not but may be useful. I also went into the app and deactivated any schedules for charging to ensure nothing would stop it and I set the charge limit to 100%.

It may override all that anyway but I wanted to maximise my chances.

85% is a happy enough result for me, the car has 62k miles 4yrs old and supercharged 35% of the time according to my long term stats on the app.