Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery swapping confirmed - no more "mystery" announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just now on Twitter:

‏@elonmusk Battery pack swap works with all Tesla Model S cars, past and present. It was always there.

Anyone else think he reads these and then decides how to best mess with us? I almost hope that is the case...

It's the theory I proposed on the June 20th thread, they connect directly to the battery pack and do a DC to DC transfer of power.
They don't actually "swap" anything, other than electrons. There "robot" is a simple device that unplug the inverter/motor (or uses spare ports on the pack). It's their new "Hyper Charger"

image.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think Model S had been crash-tested yet...officially anyway.
It's been crash-tested by Tesla and results reported to the DOT. It just hasn't been tested by the DOT itself.

I still stand by my theory that it's a hot swappable metal air battery range extender, considering they already have several patents covering this, for example "Thermal Energy Transfer System for a Power Source Utilizing Both Metal-Air and Non-Metal-Air Battery Packs" http://www.google.com/patents/US20120040210 and this one too http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20130015823/description.html :
Elon has stated that the swapping will work with all Model S's and no one has seen the wiring that would be required for such a setup. Owners have had the front and rear ends of the car torn apart for various repairs and upgrades. Not to mention all the cars that have been viewed on the assembly line at the factory. Someone would have seen it.

Also, see my crash-testing comment above. The pack would have to keep the car below it's DOT GVWR to not trigger new rounds of crash-testing. Someone did the math that a battery of such low weight would provide negligible range.

It's the theory I proposed on the June 20th thread, they connect directly to the battery pack and do a DC to DC transfer of power.
They don't actually "swap" anything, other than electrons. There "robot" is a simple device that unplug the inverter/motor (or uses spare ports on the pack). It's their new "Hyper Charger"

This would be pretty cool. It also fits his comment " Recharge faster than filling a tank with gas."

You want a conspiracy theory? - there's a high-density range-extending battery already in the car's architecture that maybe needs to be changed out after 1000 or 5000 miles or so after the recharging degrades- I know I'll get a thousand replies as to why this is not possible, and I don't know enough about batteries to know if it is, so I can dream. But it would truly be "under your nose" and a hell of a lot more compelling to me than swapping the main battery.

Wild-ass-idea: what about liquid electrolyte? Drain out discharged electrolyte, fill in the charged one.
A few problems:
- Current Li-Ion cells don't work this way
- I don't see how this would be faster than filling a gas tank. Maybe similar speed, but not faster.

@elonmusk Battery pack swap works with all Tesla Model S cars, past and present. It was always there.
This ain't news - removable battery was announced when they first announced Model S.

Non-obvious technology... what can we come up with? Self-swappable battery is a cute non-obvious proposition but still rather complicated/expensive.

Elon currently live on Reuters:

http://insider.thomsonreuters.com/l...lOWFiMC01MzMxLTRjMTYtYmRlZS05MjNlMWFhZjgwZmM=

- - - Updated - - -

Elon: "Depending upon what the level of demand is for battery pack swap, we'll have swap capability everywhere where we have SuperChargers"

How much would it cost:
Elon: Can't let the whole cat out of the. Talk about the economics about this Thursday night. I think it will be compelling?

Will this represent a substantial capital investment for Tesla?
Elon: It will cost a few hundred million dollars to roll this out across the whole country. So it's not substantial but not pocket change.

For sure $50m to $100m? I heard "few hundred" but I admit my speaker quality is poor.
Well -- that's what I heard. He immediately followed with, "that's not much." But what is a lot of $ to a multi-billionaire? Hopefully we'll be able to watch the interview in its entirety soon.

Actually this group of reporters are very well prepared. The questions are interesting and pertinent.

Last edited:
I think you actually have it backwards. The founder of Better Place actually got his idea to start his own battery swapping company AFTER visiting Tesla in 2006 and being shown by Tesla how battery swapping works. So it wasn't "Better Place's" idea in the first place - it was Tesla's. The only footsteps that Tesla is following is their own. Better Place didn't pioneer any new idea at all. The only thing Better Place accomplished was failing to actually bring it to market. Their solution proved to be too costly in the end and didn't win any widespread adoption. I'm sure whatever Tesla has planned is more practical than Better Place's.

FYI Tesla didn't pioneer the battery-swapping idea either. Go study the electric vehicle industry journals and conference proceedings from years before Tesla was founded.