Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has Tesla ever allowed/sold a battery upgrade to anyone who's battery was not actually "malfunctioning"?
Like say a S60 or S75 owner upgrading to a 90kWh or 100kWh battery, just because they wanted to?
Just wondering if this is even a possibility, and what the cost would potentially be.

Has Tesla ever allowed/sold a battery upgrade to anyone who's battery was not actually "malfunctioning"?
Only one documented case in the early days. Perhaps because Service Centers didn't get the memo at that time.

Reactions: seenhear
Only one documented case in the early days. Perhaps because Service Centers didn't get the memo at that time.

I figured as much.

I figured as much.
The 60 -70 has happened some, because it was (is) a software limitation on the 60. This is the best documented case of the actual upgrade to the 85. There have been some discussion of others. Similarly they *have* done model 3 SR updates to SR+ (a similar software limitation), but it takes both a SC that is willing to find out the hoops they need to jump through, and that has the time. Hard to find in the current time.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
We do upgrades quite regularly now, to the point where we're booked out several months.

Can check your VIN and signup here: Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology
I checked my VIN - sept.2017 build S75 uncorked with a BTX5 battery, and your configurator only offered an upgrade to a 90kwh battery, not a 100. Upgraded rated range of 260miles.
Just curious as the one-off that sold linked above had in its description a RWD estimated rated range of 315miles.
This leads me to wonder:
a) is the 90 the highest option for my VIN right now due to current stock you have on hand, or because you don't recommend upgrading to a 100 for my car (which has air suspension).
b) why the big difference in range estimate for an S75 between the 90 and 100kwh batteries?

I checked my VIN - sept.2017 build S75 uncorked with a BTX5 battery, and your configurator only offered an upgrade to a 90kwh battery, not a 100. Upgraded rated range of 260miles.
Just curious as the one-off that sold linked above had in its description a RWD estimated rated range of 315miles.
This leads me to wonder:
a) is the 90 the highest option for my VIN right now due to current stock you have on hand, or because you don't recommend upgrading to a 100 for my car (which has air suspension).
b) why the big difference in range estimate for an S75 between the 90 and 100kwh batteries?

There's no standard configuration for a RWD 100, so we don't usually offer it unless the customer a) insists and doesn't care about the obvious financial considerations, and b) is good with the drawbacks that come with that territory (such as no more OTA updates)

As for the difference, keep in mind Tesla's 90 isn't really a 90, but the 75 is kind of really a 75. Also the 100 is close to 100. So for 75 to 90 you're gaining ~8-10 kWh, and for 75 to 100 you're gaining ~25 kWh.

MUCH cheaper to sell the current car, and go out and buy a 100 kwh car. MUCH.

People make too much of the unlimited supercharging. But the breakeven of FUSC to pay for a new battery will be like 30 years.

This ^

Reactions: Takumi and KJD
And remember with FSD, that’s an appreciating asset! You’ve actually gained resale value on your old car because FSD is $15k now. Just ask Elon Musk.
🤦‍♂️

Sadly, there's people who believe this.

Kind of OT here, but worth a quick rant:

Definitely not worth buying FSD at $15k... maybe if it somehow managed level 4 or 5 hands-off eyes-off self driving, but anyone with any real knowledge of how this stuff works knows this hardware suite can not ever do this no matter how much software is thrown at the problem (perhaps a thread for another day... not saying LIDAR or anything like that is the solution, either, I'm just saying my car can't drive into the sun or into a Florida sunshower without trying to kill me... so unless they can make the cameras grow wipers and shades with software......). If you somehow think it's worthwhile to have (it still seems pretty useless from a practical standpoint, IMO, especially with the safety score hoops and lottery nonsense), at a $200/mo subscription, that's > 6 years break-even at 0% APR, and you're not risking a massive hit in value on resale or insurance payouts, as no one is going to pay $15k extra for a used car just because it has FSD activated.

Tesla has to know this, which means they must be intentionally pushing people towards the subscriptions for some reason. Why pay an extra ~$250/mo+ on a car loan to add the $15k on it that's going to take a massive depreciation hit immediately (or otherwise give up $15k in potential investment capital) when you can subscribe for $200/mo for the same service with no commitments or risks aside from Tesla potentially raising the subscription cost (which they clearly can't push substantially higher as the take rate would drop off a cliff as it approaches a larger percentage of a vehicle payment)? Seems like a no-brainer to me to not buy FSD.

as no one is going to pay $15k extra for a used car just because it has FSD activated.
Even Tesla knows this. Scan the CPO listings on their site, or at one of the search sites like ev-cpo.com ... You can find two otherwise identical cars one with EAP one with FSD, and the price difference is a couple thousand. Sometimes the EAP one is more expensive than FSD because it's been up for fewer days.
1664302651913.png

That said, when looking at buying a CPO from Tesla, I'd say it's usually a better deal to choose one with FSD, as the price differential is negligible, and FSD does have some future value potential (what that is, remains to be seen). The above example is a good one. Both cars are nearly identical Raven LR, similar mileage, similar time on site (5 days vs. 4 days). I would say the one with FSD is a better deal, unless you really hate white / really love blue.

and b) is good with the drawbacks that come with that territory (such as no more OTA updates)
So if an S75 like mine is upgraded to a 90 battery, would that also kill future OTA updates?

As for cheaper to just buy a 100D... That depends? What is the ballpark for a 100kWh upgrade with a 75kWh trade in? Or are they so rare that you always do it as a one-off price? Thanks for all the info, BTW. :)

Even Tesla knows this. Scan the CPO listings on their site, or at one of the search sites like ev-cpo.com ... You can find two otherwise identical cars one with EAP one with FSD, and the price difference is a couple thousand. Sometimes the EAP one is more expensive than FSD because it's been up for fewer days.
View attachment 857470
That said, when looking at buying a CPO from Tesla, I'd say it's usually a better deal to choose one with FSD, as the price differential is negligible, and FSD does have some future value potential (what that is, remains to be seen). The above example is a good one. Both cars are nearly identical Raven LR, similar mileage, similar time on site (5 days vs. 4 days). I would say the one with FSD is a better deal, unless you really hate white / really love blue.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I'm still not 100% sure I'd spend the extra $ if FSD was the core thing making the price difference, though. To me it's still not worth $3500 over EAP. 🤷‍♂️

So if an S75 like mine is upgraded to a 90 battery, would that also kill future OTA updates?

Upgrades to a configuration Tesla has produced and sold will get OTA updates as normal. At one point Tesla was selling a RWD 90, so that configuration is standard.

As for cheaper to just buy a 100D... That depends? What is the ballpark for a 100kWh upgrade with a 75kWh trade in? Or are they so rare that you always do it as a one-off price? Thanks for all the info, BTW. :)

Many ask, but it's pretty rare to have anyone actually do it. We have done a handful, though. Cost is always north of $20k. Mid 20k area most likely for a 75->100.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I'm still not 100% sure I'd spend the extra $ if FSD was the core thing making the price difference, though. To me it's still not worth $3500 over EAP. 🤷‍♂️
Beyond the FSD software functionality itself, there's also the promise that if you buy FSD, you will get any future hardware updates necessary to run FSD. The AP computer for FSD (HW3) is just plain better and if given the choice I'd rather have it even for EAP. Currently that update is only $1000; but only having FSD for the car guarantees future updates, which there likely will be, since as you point out the current HW is probably not going to be sufficient either.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes