Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and Alberta get new CCS1 charging network via Chevron - Tip: it's currently free!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check Plugshare before assuming these work properly, the one on Imperial street in Burnaby BC has been plagued with slow charge rates (8.0 kW).
We wanted to try them on Vancouver Island with our new adapter, but using the Tesla Supercharger was just so much easier and more reliable.

I've used the one in Sidney, BC a few times. Most of the time it worked. I bricked it once (no idea why) and the lady couldn't reset it. Never got very high speeds out of it...maybe 60-70kw but I also never tried with anything lower than 50% SOC. (2022 MYLR with Tesla's CCS adapter).

On OutofSpec YT Kyle visited the FreeWire charger booth and did an interview with the CEO. These Chevron installations are FreeWire which means they are using a built in battery that trickle charges off a normal grid connection without any high powered stuff to put in. That is why they went in so fast across BC.
Kyle mentioned he will be coming to Canada to shoot some videos using this network.

I tried the Sidney BC one again yesterday. Plugged in at 20% and preconditioned beforehand by setting the NAV to the Victoria SC and driving around a bit. Used official Tesla CCS adapter. No one was plugged in to the other plug (for this unit that is a Chademo).

It would never deliver anymore than 65kW. Stayed constant the whole way to~65% and then dropped into the 50s up to 70% when I unplugged.

Not sure why this one won't give me the full 150kW (or close enough). Have people seen 150kW out of these things?

Next weekend I'll go try the other Victoria location to see if it can deliver the full beans.

Last night I tried the one just off highway one, east of Langley. I did not pre condition and the pack was a little cold. I got 34kw for a few minutes, then dropped to 8kw at 10 minutes. Gave up after that. I am a little concerned with the cable, it takes two hands in the cold to wrestle it, all that torque can't be good for the charge port.

I've been using these units on my current Calgary-Vancouver-Calgary road trip with Chademo. All but one unit tripped off after a few minutes. I have to return the plug and wait for the unit to detect that I'm not charging any more. I can then plug in and complete my charge without any problems.
Anyone else seeing this behaviour with the Chademo side?
I've noticed a lot of the units have not been placed in appropriate locations in the parking lot. I had to wait for someone that was blocking the units because they were using the installed vacuums. Also not enough room in front of the charging cars for ICE vehicles to wander into the fuel pump or restaurant drive through lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM
What are you smoking.

It's still $240 on Tesla website.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true

Ehhhh. You yankee.
My order is coming at $175 USD. Maybe it was just a 24-hr sales?
Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg