Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun fact - turning on different varieties of Loctite, when coupled with a Stover? You would literally have to use MAPP gas / heat to remove them, in many instances. That's just to say, a castle nut is by far, not the best way to go.

Another fun fact: traditional MAPP gas hasn't been made since 2008, and if you bought anything resembling MAPP gas after supply ran out, its probably MAP Pro, and doesn't come close to burning at the same temperature as MAPP gas did.

MAPP gas - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I worked for decades in an auto factory. What probably happened is, a worker hand started the nut but it was missed when it was supposed to be torqued down. It looked ok so didn't get flagged before leaving the factory. Road vibration slowly unscrewed the nut and it fell off. Has happened many many times in every factory.
That would account for the galling marks on the flat of the link arm too.

I worked for decades in an auto factory. What probably happened is, a worker hand started the nut but it was missed when it was supposed to be torqued down. It looked ok so didn't get flagged before leaving the factory. Road vibration slowly unscrewed the nut and it fell off. Has happened many many times in every factory.
Based on the videos I saw, Tesla uses servo screwdrivers with wireless data collection. Many things had to fail for the factory to release nuts with the wrong torque. Those drivers calculate how many turns were done with what torque, so any screw thread issue will be flagged as well. Theoretically, they can also distinguish lock nut vs regular.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
375ED86D-A70E-4324-97FD-B1FAB0054993.jpeg
82FCF8CC-6DBB-45C5-BA18-690768C86BD8.jpeg
Mine appear to be fine...XXX34 VIN...however you can see that they were probably put on by robots. Can you see a slight chip in one? I shouldn’t worry about that right?

• Helpful
Reactions: Pilot1226
I'm not a car guy or car expert, so my question is going to be in layman's terms, but:
- is this a part of the Model Y that is "75% the same as the Model 3" (IE - they use these same parts for these same purposes; not a new design), and does the Model 3 have this same problem?
- or is this a part of the Model Y that is "25% new for Tesla to build/assemble"?

the closest I have come to being inside an auto factory is watching Jeff Roberts' videos...

I have my own Quality-Control story.

Way back in the 90's I worked for a small computer company (starts with "D" and rhymes with "hell"). I was in software QC, but at end-of-quarter they would encourage everyone to double-shift in the factory to bolster deliveries. I needed the cash, so I ended up working 24 hours straight.

Since this was not my day job, I was relegated to the tear-down of the systems that failed the burn-in tests. After a few hours, I discovered that many of the hard drives were mounted upside-down, such that the external circuitry faced the mounting plate with paper-thin clearance. The drive would fail if the circuit got grounded by touching the plate.

When I took this to the line manager, we corrected the workers, and I pointed out that even the systems that passed burn-in could have the faulty mounting and be pushed to failure just by vibration in shipping. The manager looked at the mountain of completed systems 10 boxes deep, up to the ceiling and halfway to the horizon, and said:

"If they fail, they'll send them back."

Yup.

(Oh no, the sticky has been removed! This issue was pretty weak for FUD, so what are all the concern trolls going to do now? I'm sure it must be an extremely stressful time for those hoping that Tesla will go bankrupt and die.)

So the original post is dated Aug 30th and only two cars (that we know of) have been affected after the internet has had this story for almost two weeks. Is that correct?

By the way, in my experience a broken or disconnected tie rod usually does not lead to an accident, because of the caster (I hope this is the right word). My wife had a tie rod broken in an Audi. She drove normally, and only when she tried to turn at a crossroads and stopped, the car would no longer move because the front wheels were both pointing outward.

A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago in a Mercedes 190E. I noticed that the car would not quite track properly, but would slightly swing left and right. It went away at lower speeds, so I drove more slowly.

I later took the car to a workshop, and there we saw the broken tie rod. The car was 30 years old. That pushed me over the hill. I reluctantly gave up on it and immediately ordered my Tesla Model 3. The Mercedes was repaired and still sold for $1,800. :)

I believe that cars are intentionally built such that a broken tie rod does not immediately lead to a terrible accident. Still this is not to be taken lightly. My recommendation is to develop a feeling for the proper steering and general behavior of the car and immediately investigate when anything feels unusual. The most frequent case is probably a slow puncture. The earlier you notice, the better.

Due to my regular off-road driving in Africa I have lots of experience with this. Driving there for a month without at least one flat tire is rare. I remember one trip with 7 punctures. The tires were not suited well for the purpose, something like very soft balloon tires. When you stared at them, they went flat. :D

In any case it can't hurt to drive to a workshop from time to time and have somebody in the know peep underneath.

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed? That's not a tie rod, it's one of the lower suspension links. This is why Teslas have multilink suspensions, redundancy :p.
The tie rods are also held on with nyloc nuts. Seems like a bold choice, my Mazda and Lexus both use castle nuts.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Why isn't this a sticky thread any more?

Probably because it is actually a non-issue. We only have two reports of the issue, which means it doesn't appear to be a wide-spread problem.

I'll probably get flamed for this but: It appears that neither of the people that reported the problem in this thread have reported it to NHTSA. After all the OP said it is a "life and death" issue, and posted here to help save people, so surely they would have reported it, but it doesn't seem like they have. Why wouldn't they report it? Maybe because they didn't want to file a false report? :eek:

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they report it? Maybe because they didn't want to file a false report?
I'm certain there are a number of reasons someone might not want to report an issue; perhaps they prefer to work directly with Tesla, or are concerned their Tesla relationship will suffer if they're the ones filing a report. And probably plenty of other reasons. Is "false report" one of those? Sure, but it doesn't mean it's the most likely.

Reactions: mycroftxxx