Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful inserting and removing the supercharging into your charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ANYONE have an idea how to get the black plastic thing out from the inside of my charge cable? tesla replaced the port on the car but now my cable wont fit as there is some black plastic thing inside at the rear of 1 of the prongs..i can spin it with a small screwdriver and it slides on the prong a bit but cant get it up and out...ARHGGGGGGGGGGG

ANYONE have an idea how to get the black plastic thing out from the inside of my charge cable? tesla replaced the port on the car but now my cable wont fit as there is some black plastic thing inside at the rear of 1 of the prongs..i can spin it with a small screwdriver and it slides on the prong a bit but cant get it up and out...ARHGGGGGGGGGGG

I think some people had luck tapping the handle pointing down to get it to come out. I have seen other say blasting air in helped, and others put a little screw into it to grab it.

What if you try two small screwdrivers, one on each side to sort of lift it out?

D47AF1D4-D42E-408F-97D2-2AC51C37FD5C.png

I had other mobile service and the system generated this item on my invoice too - which he quickly fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: David99

tweezers?

From two other threads on this forum about it, I remember two methods people did to get those pieces out:

1. Have a needle or straight pin that you can hold with a pair of needle nose pliers. Use a lighter or candle or something to heat up the end of the pin, and then poke it into that plastic piece, where it will melt into it and then let go to let it cool for a bit, where it will get stuck in the plastic piece. Then, that may hold it enough to pull it out. May need to do a pin on each side to be able to pull evenly.

2. Toothpick with a dab of superglue on the end of it. Touch that onto the plastic piece and let it dry. Again, might want to do one on each side of the black plastic ring.

Check this thread for some descriptions and pictures of how people got them out:
HPWC no longer latches or charges

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanx..went to tesla and they gave me a new series 2 cable kit replacement under warranty- and let me keep the old on...so i want to get that plastic piece out!

UPDATE _ used a nail in vice grip and heated nail and stuck it into the plastic piece and pulled it out!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
This happened to me 6-12mo ago in TN at Brentwood Supercharger (also same location as service center). I walked in on a sunday and told them their charger broke my port (it was 'stiff', didnt force it, and pulled out once and it pulled plastic shim piece out with it).

They gave me a p100d loaner on the spot, fixed it next day for free (out of warranty), and delivered it back.