Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful parking near a radio tower

Have you been prevented from entering/starting car based on RF interference?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than keeping the key fob in the same pocket with my phone (which is known to interfere) never had that issue.

That reminded me... I gave a group of several young guys a ride in my Model S a while back, and of course all of them had their phones out doing stuff. I couldn't start the car at first - I think the FOB was being overwhelmed.

Do we know in which band the fob operates? My old apartment building had a cellular repeater in the garage, and my spot was pretty close to it. It did all kinds of flakey stuff to the car: car would lock while I was in it, wouldn't lock when I walked away, completely disabled the parking sensors about 50% of the time, refused to auto-present on approach, etc.

Tesla installed a BCM with better RF shielding, which helped, but basically just reduced the frequency of the issues. Parking on the other side of the garage seemed to eliminate the issues. I also moved and it's mostly been fine since.

Tesla even sent some technicians to the garage to investigate at one point.

Do we know in which band the fob operates? My old apartment building had a cellular repeater in the garage, and my spot was pretty close to it. It did all kinds of flakey stuff to the car: car would lock while I was in it, wouldn't lock when I walked away, completely disabled the parking sensors about 50% of the time, refused to auto-present on approach, etc.

Tesla installed a BCM with better RF shielding, which helped, but basically just reduced the frequency of the issues. Parking on the other side of the garage seemed to eliminate the issues. I also moved and it's mostly been fine since.

Tesla even sent some technicians to the garage to investigate at one point.
Model S --> 315MHz
Model X --> 2.4GHz

Keep the EV drive train, Superchargers and AP. Screw everything else.

In fact I have come to love and depend on AP more than the fact that this is an EV. Which means I can live with AP on an ICE, but not an EV without AP.

Back to topic: automatic door handles. Who cares?

Reactions: slipnslider