Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not really a patient person so 3 SC stops from SoCal to SF really pushes it. I typically like to go all the way with one 5 minute stop. It made a 7 hour drive 8 hours and 30 minutes.
What others might see as a downside, I have come to see as a plus.

A trip to SoCal ends up being less stressful, partly because it forces me to consider starting out earlier and planning ahead, front-loading a buffer of time before I really need to arrive. Sometimes that trip would take 8 hours in an ICE anyway because the CHP had closed the 152, or there was a traffic jam around Santa Clarita, or a brushfire, or road construction, or any number of events out of my control. When I used to keep a countdown clock running in my mind, I'd get really upset when anything threatened to make me miss the arrival time I had planned. The Model S has changed that mindset for me. The key is to make use of the extra time: frequently, I find that I can do stuff while I'm waiting for a charge that I would have done later anyway, like eating, taking a walk, or spending time online. :)

Ironically, this picture was taken at a Supercharger rest stop. We were in and out in 15 minutes at the Supercharger. I wonder how long the wait was for gas.
That must be the NJ Tpke. Always cheaper gas and usually a line for it. I will enjoy my next trip thru the tpke. with a quick lunch and a full charge. I have been on that line while the rest of the family relaxed inside the rest area :(

And if you only have a Tesla? Some people only own one car. And some trips take longer in a plane.

Broad brush, that.

My point is - No pre-Tesla forms of transportation have been eliminated yet. Why subject yourself to SC frustration IF you don't like SC'ing?

People who only have a tesla ( MS or MX ) - in my opinion - certainly have the money to rent an ICE minivan or such..... If SC'ing is frustrating there are options.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
At one point we had Texas Roadhouse 3 consecutive nights,
My sincere condolences :)

I am not really a patient person so 3 SC stops from SoCal to SF really pushes it. I typically like to go all the way with one 5 minute stop. It made a 7 hour drive 8 hours and 30 minutes.
We're all different. For some in your position the other benefits of a Tesla outweigh or greatly outweigh what for them are drawbacks, for others not. I thought the extra time on road trips would be an issue but found that the benefits (more awake, more relaxed, enjoying sitting and digesting meals, a good cappuccino or espreso on occasion) outweigh the extra time. And that's just the benefits for the trip itself not counting all of the benefits of day to day use.

If you ever road trip with Europeans you may find that even though you may be less than an hour from home that they will stop at 8p for dinner. And not a quick dinner but a couple of hours of food, conversation, and wine.

My point is - No pre-Tesla forms of transportation have been eliminated yet. Why subject yourself to SC frustration IF you don't like SC'ing?

People who only have a tesla ( MS or MX ) - in my opinion - certainly have the money to rent an ICE minivan or such..... If SC'ing is frustrating there are options.

The time and effort it takes to rent an ICE is greater than Supercharging time in my opinion. Not to mention the cost of the rental car and fuel.

I actually enjoy the planning part, but I have always been obsessive about planning trips, road or otherwise. On the trips I do not mind Superchargers wherever they are because i usually need the stop anyway. When forced to non-Supercharger, I don't mind CHAdeMO but level two bothers me a bit except when it is 80amp HPWC and I'm out having lunch or something. Most of my Level 2 is overnight and then the speed does not much matter, there's always enough. Every month it becomes easier do there are fewer issues.

What others might see as a downside, I have come to see as a plus.

Its a little bit of beating the horse on my part (I have plenty of commentary upthread), but to reiterate again, there are very few people who find Tesla trips as a net negative. Some people in this thread want to turn it into a binary conversation, but reality is that a Tesla owner can have an honest complaint/concern/disagreement about the current state/speed/density of supecharging while still finding the overall Tesla experience overwhelmingly positive.

Yes, there are ways to occupy time while supercharging, but those aren't always net-zero on one's daily time utilization scale. If I spend a half hour napping at a SC, that's potentially a half hour saved later that night (or make up from the night before) so its all good. If I have to spend a half hour reading TMC or watching Hulu while at a SC though, that's not a half hour I would have necessarily spent on TMC or Hulu otherwise...so I effectively just gave up a half hour of my life to play on the internet. First world problems, yeah, but when you consider that could be a minute for minute loss of time spent with friends/family on the other end of a trip, that's real.

The time and effort it takes to rent an ICE is greater than Supercharging time in my opinion. Not to mention the cost of the rental car and fuel.
I agree, however that's not the topic.

The topic is ..... is SC'ing on long trips annoying?

My response is: If its annoying....do something else. There are other options. I didn't say those options are easier or better or anything.

I'm simply saying that you don't have to SC. Go back to the options you had before Tesla came along.
I didn't think I would have to spell that out.

_______

Now if all options are equally annoying...consider staying home. <------- final option.

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
I wish the /findus page had a filter for destination charging.

For me, the page has four categories at the bottom, for stores, service centers, superchargers, and destination chargers. If I toggle the others off by clicking them, it leaves me with destination charging. Is that what you're after?

Regarding Triadelphia, last time I was there I dropped off the family at Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, plugged the car in, and walked back down. It's not a bad walk. No sidewalks, but the road is wide and quiet.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
. I wish the /findus page had a filter for destination charging. I hear there are some discount chain hotels rather than the $200+ a night boutiques.
You can filter on destination charging, but it's easier to go to the charging menu at the top of the website, then choose destination charging. It gives a map you can click on to zoom in also an alphabetical list by state.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
I agree, however that's not the topic.

The topic is ..... is SC'ing on long trips annoying?

My response is: If its annoying....do something else. There are other options. I didn't say those options are easier or better or anything.

I'm simply saying that you don't have to SC. Go back to the options you had before Tesla came along.
I didn't think I would have to spell that out.

_______

Now if all options are equally annoying...consider staying home. <------- final option.
This is pretty dismissive. The topic isn't "is SC'ing on long trips worth doing?" which is the question you appear to be answering.

Is it annoying? It can be, depending on the circumstances. However, sometimes it's the opposite. That's the answer to the question posed by the title.

Reactions: KJD and bxr140
I love my Model S but, yes, trips out of town are a major pain in the ass for me. I drove from San Diego to Phoenix and had to stop at least 3 times each way at a SC. The temp was at least 106+ in the desert, I had my dog with me so I couldn't leave the car, it was painful. Unfortunately, I'm just going to rent a car when I leave town from now on. :-/

I love my Model S but, yes, trips out of town are a major pain in the ass for me. I drove from San Diego to Phoenix and had to stop at least 3 times each way at a SC. The temp was at least 106+ in the desert, I had my dog with me so I couldn't leave the car, it was painful. Unfortunately, I'm just going to rent a car when I leave town from now on. :-/
There ya go. Perfect response. Thanks Heathman.

That has been my question all along that has everything to do with OP's question.

Is it annoying? Answer = maybe
For those who are annoyed - Here are some options.
For those who aren't - Keep going on SC'ing.

How in the world is that off topic?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
There ya go.

That has been question all along that has everything to do with OP's question.

Is it annoying? Answer = maybe
For those who are annoyed - Here are some options.
For those who aren't - Keep going on SC'ing.

How in the world is that off topic?

For the life of me - I don't understand what the dislike button is for. Can someone explain what its supposed to do? What is bxr140 trying to say?