Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, you can expect a wait at most SC's during normal driving hours, and on long weekends, it's been HOURS to plug in at some SC's.

The first part often this just isn't true. Most means more than half in California. That's just not true. Not bt a long shot, and I've been to every SC in CA except the ones right in LA and the Napa SC which wasn't yet open the last time I drove by it.

And, short of Tejon ranch, which Buttonwillow has resolved, I never heard of HOURS. (Plural means more than one.) tejon ranch on a thanksgiving weekend was a zoo last year. Yeah, there's a congestion problem at quite a few sc's in California. I have never waited at one although I did take the last spot in San Diego a few months ago, and a year ago I got the last spot at the factory, but cars were moving through every 5 mins or so. And about a year ago, the original Truckee SC filled on a Friday afternoon, but truckee 2 solves that.

The most shocking, to me, filled up SC in my travels was St George Utah on Friday early afternoon. I got the last spot, but that charger is in the middle of nowhere.

Still, despite your hyperbolic lies, there is a growing problem as the number of Teslas delivered in CA increases and too many drivers use the charging spots as parking spots. This is a huge problem in Roseville, Vacaville, Gilroy, Indio, which are all in malls. Even truckee 1 has people eating dinner while their fully charged S fills a spot. I have read about congestion in Mt Shasta although I've never had a problem there. It's inevitable on holiday weekends, though.

I will admit a month or so ago, on a Sunday, I drove my ICE from the Sacramento area to south san jose and back because I knew every SC along the way would be messy. Jeeze, the Dublin SC was busy the day it opened!

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteCap
Calling out member "Model S M.D." Why the DISLIKE on my post?? Cowardly move. It's not like I'm giving an opinion... just he facts. Funny how some members here try to hide the truth to potential buyers/members.

jerry33, I can only speak from my PERSONAL experience in Socal. I was just at a SC last night. I had around 85 miles left and the car said it would take 1 hr to charge to 90% for my 85. It actually took around 50 minutes. All chargers were being used and the guy next to me was there first and must have been very low when he plugged in since he was gone from his car when I was finally able to plug in (after waiting about 10-15 minutes). We had charged about 20 minutes before he came back.
Maybe the SC are slow when they're all being used? They were busy the whole time I was there on a Sat night.
If you are the second person in a charging pair, then, yes, it will be slow. The first person in a pair gets the lion's share (and who would argue with a lion). My trips haven't been in SoCal.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Unless it's really cold out, this doesn't seem right. Unless stopping for lunch, most charging stops are 15 minutes or less. By the time we get back from the pit stop, the car is ready. You only charge enough to get to the next stop plus a little extra just in case.

Are you sure about that 15 minutes?

Given that SCs are typically spaced 100 to 150 miles apart, to get enough charge in 15 minutes to reach the next SC would require a charging rate of 400 to 600 rated miles per hour of charging.

400 mi x 290 Wh/mi = 116000W/hr of charging/310V = 374A charging rate (ignoring taper) required to add 100 miles in 15 minutes. I've never seen a 374A charging rate; usually briefly at about 300A, then dropping to more like 200; sometimes much less.

Are you sure about that 15 minutes?.
it's how it worked on our trip from DFW to Seattle. Our trips from DFW to NE are similar except that the last SC requires a range charge as there is a shortage of NE SCs. Here's what you do. In the morning start with a full charge, then at the first SC charge only enough to get to the next stop (plus some extra just in case). Ditto for the second. it's now lunchtime so you charge for as long as you're there (45 minutes to an hour). Then the next SC charge just enough... This plan gets about 500-600 miles a day, which is about the right amount to arrive relaxed.

Reactions: jvonbokel
I can vouch for the system employed by @jerry33. I used the same system to drive from Las Vegas, up the PCH to Vancouver and then across Washington and Montana and down to Jackson Hole. Our typical charge is just long enough to use the bathroom.

Certainly haven't felt as if stopping to charge every so often has been onerous. Just enjoying the ride.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I can vouch for the system employed by @jerry33. I used the same system to drive from Las Vegas, up the PCH to Vancouver and then across Washington and Montana and down to Jackson Hole. Our typical charge is just long enough to use the bathroom.

Certainly haven't felt as if stopping to charge every so often has been onerous. Just enjoying the ride.

I did the drive from Portland to Vegas and back last April when the charging suggestion on nav was new and it sucked. But it was more closer to 25/30 minutes not 15.

Last edited:
For the OP, all theses people are assuming you can drive up to an SC and just plug in.
In California, you can expect a wait at most SC's during normal driving hours, and on long weekends, it's been HOURS to plug in at some SC's. .

I hit up 3 different California SCs almost every weekend traveling to/fro 2nd home. Never waiting.
Baring abusive and ill-mannered practices by fellow owners which unfortunately happens, the infrastructure allows for long distance mobility and tolerable turnaround times. Of course its different and this type of travel understandably isn't for everyone. But rather than disparage it with sweeping generalizations, simply manage around it like you would life's other inconveniences, or choose a more desirable make/model/mode of travel. Its totally within your control. And if you are just venting a bad experience, then that's ok too but at least admit it.

The first part often this just isn't true. Most means more than half in California. That's just not true. Not bt a long shot, and I've been to every SC in CA except the ones right in LA and the Napa SC which wasn't yet open the last time I drove by it.

And, short of Tejon ranch, which Buttonwillow has resolved, I never heard of HOURS. (Plural means more than one.) tejon ranch on a thanksgiving weekend was a zoo last year. Yeah, there's a congestion problem at quite a few sc's in California. I have never waited at one although I did take the last spot in San Diego a few months ago, and a year ago I got the last spot at the factory, but cars were moving through every 5 mins or so. And about a year ago, the original Truckee SC filled on a Friday afternoon, but truckee 2 solves that.

The most shocking, to me, filled up SC in my travels was St George Utah on Friday early afternoon. I got the last spot, but that charger is in the middle of nowhere.

Still, despite your hyperbolic lies, there is a growing problem as the number of Teslas delivered in CA increases and too many drivers use the charging spots as parking spots. This is a huge problem in Roseville, Vacaville, Gilroy, Indio, which are all in malls. Even truckee 1 has people eating dinner while their fully charged S fills a spot. I have read about congestion in Mt Shasta although I've never had a problem there. It's inevitable on holiday weekends, though.

I will admit a month or so ago, on a Sunday, I drove my ICE from the Sacramento area to south san jose and back because I knew every SC along the way would be messy. Jeeze, the Dublin SC was busy the day it opened!

Pretty SMUG of you to call me a lair when you HAVE NO EXPERIENCE at the SC's I use regularly- Culver City/Redondo Beach and Fountain Valley. NO WHERE did I say it's HOURS waiting ALL THE TIME. I just brought up the possibility that it can and does happen from time to time.

Time to employ the ignore button again! :)

Please do. Close your mind to ALL options and FACTS that don't agree with yours. Live in your little world and be happy.

I hit up 3 different California SCs almost every weekend traveling to/fro 2nd home. Never waiting.
Baring abusive and ill-mannered practices by fellow owners which unfortunately happens, the infrastructure allows for long distance mobility and tolerable turnaround times. Of course its different and this type of travel understandably isn't for everyone. But rather than disparage it with sweeping generalizations, simply manage around it like you would life's other inconveniences, or choose a more desirable make/model/mode of travel. Its totally within your control. And if you are just venting a bad experience, then that's ok too but at least admit it.

Guy last night was dropped off in an MX by his family to pick up his car. It had been charging for some time. I have no idea how long it sat there fully charged, but he's obviously local. It happens and it's not predictable, so how do you "manage around it."
Where did I "disparage" anything?? Did I say this happens EVERY TIME or even most of the time? I just brought up possibilties that occurred in the past and what I've seen. Just last night, a lady pulled and in a semi panic because she had to wait and wasn't expecting to wait at 9PM on a Saturday night. She said she only had 20 miles of range left and had to be somewhere. Some here are such fanboi's they choose to close their minds to not only other's opinions, but ACTUAL EXPERIENCES... which is just sad.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
For the OP, all theses people are assuming you can drive up to an SC and just plug in.
In California, you can expect a wait at most SC's during normal driving hours, and on long weekends, it's been HOURS to plug in at some SC's. This is only going to get worse as more MX and M3's are built... even with Tesla increasing the number of SC's.

Also consider, many SC's don't charge as fast as they're suppose to. My wife was plugged in for 15 minutes the other day before she realized she was charging at 70A!! She was able to move to another charger, but that's not always the case.

As for taking a break every 2-3 hours of driving, that sounds fine, but do you really need a 40 minute (under IDEAL conditions) break, that could extend to hours??

The refresh S, and I would expect the X's built recently supercharge faster than older cars:
Tesla Ups Supercharger Charging Rate For Refreshed Model S 90D & P90D - Video

Earlier this week I went from around 52% charge to 90% in the time it took us to get take out at Panera and make a quick restroom break.

SpC congestion is a serious problem in a few places on high travel weekends and without expansion, it will get worse as the fleet grows. However Tesla is expanding and I expect they will stay ahead of the curve.

Reactions: aus and TaoJones
Pretty SMUG of you to call me a lair when you HAVE NO EXPERIENCE at the SC's I use regularly- Culver City/Redondo Beach and Fountain Valley. NO WHERE did I say

Guy last night was dropped off in an MX by his family to pick up his car. It had been charging for some time. I have no idea how long it sat there fully charged, but he's obviously local. It happens and it's not predictable, so how do you "manage around it."
Where did I "disparage" anything?? Did I say this happens EVERY TIME or even most of the time? I just brought up possibilties that occurred in the past and what I've seen. Just last night, a lady pulled and in a semi panic because she had to wait and wasn't expecting to wait at 9PM on a Saturday night. She said she only had 20 miles of range left and had to be somewhere. Some here are such fanboi's they choose to close their minds to not only other's opinions, but ACTUAL EXPERIENCES... which is just sad.

Hi Aus,
In fact you did use the word 'most' but my apologies if I misunderstood. Perhaps you meant 'most' as it relates to your personal experiences within the very concentrated 45 mile radius you frequent and not the entire state of CA? Anyway, it seems like you are a magnet for bad SC experiences so I hope it improves for you. Mastering the greater infrastructure provided for us and our cars takes Tesla ownership to an extraordinary level. As for managing unpredictabilities, well, it's mostly in how we manage our reactions (such as on this forum) so totally in our control.

Hope to see you at CC so we can compare notes.
NW

wouldn't it be great if Tesla had a locked cabinet at all superchargers. Only could be opened by a Tesla key. And in the cabinet would be these along with a jack

Can one get an extension cable for a Supercharger? Then it would be possible to just double-park anyone that ICE'd a charger ...

Tesla is expanding and I expect they will stay ahead of the curve

I hope that Tesla shares its chargers with other marques - ending up owning the charging-network. That will increase the number of users, but also make it easier to justify, and provide funds for, increasing the density of chargers

Just did a SoCal Vegas roundtrip and stopped at all the SpCs just to scout out the locations for future reference; every one of them had at least three empty stalls. Keep in mind this is Friday evening to Vegas and Sunday afternoon back to SoCal (typical heavy traffic times).

Also did a SoCal Norcal trip with my Q5 (Pre-MS delivery) over Memorial Day weekend and stopped at Tejon Ranch to scout the SpC there as well, and there was no wait on Monday afternoon of Memorial Day Monday. I was expecting there to be a significant line because of the long weekend and traffic.

I had to use the Fountain Valley SpC the first week after we took delivery because our wall charger hadn't shipped yet and that was annoying. Sunday evening and there was 4 cars in line for the SpCs. As an Orange County resident, MS and MX drivers are everywhere so its not surprising the two OC SpC are so crowded.

Tesla should really consider putting a 20 stall SpC at The Spectrum, perfect location where the 5 and 405 meet and it will alleviate the congestion at Fountain Valley and SJC. I know there are plenty of people in this forum who believe locals charging at SpCs are abusers of the network and that Tesla's expansion in OC would just encourage this behavior. This broad brush approach does not take into account that with the recent expansion of a lot of mid-rise apartments and condos, garage charging may not be readily available for a lot of people, especially once M3 comes out.

I simply avoid the local SpCs because the monetary savings vs charging at home isn't worth the hassle and waste of time waiting for a charger.

Can one get an extension cable for a Supercharger? Then it would be possible to just double-park anyone that ICE'd a charger ...

I hope that Tesla shares its chargers with other marques - ending up owning the charging-network. That will increase the number of users, but also make it easier to justify, and provide funds for, increasing the density of chargers
1. No. Have you seen how fat and heavy the cable is that carries 120kW?
2. Tesla has offered but no takers yet.

For a shorter trip 4-5 hours, no worries and SCs work great. For long trips (20+ hours) it gets really tiresome. I drove from MA to FL and back and 12 SC's down and 12 SC's back get old and the ones down south are not at good food places. Longer time between the stops or shorter charge times would help a lot, but it was free and I got there and back so i'm thankful for that!

Hmmm. I haven't quite gone that distance, but I've driven Charlotte - Miami, round trip 3 times already and embarking on trip number 4 this weekend. I have not felt the same, but perhaps to East Coast of Florida had better options for Supercharger rest stops than elsewhere?

And this is most often due to pedestal pairing. Its occasionally a hardware issue or heat/demand related throttling (or a cold battery), but quite frankly, if an owner doesn't cite a confirmation from Tesla that there's a problem, I side with the odds that the owner just doesn't understand the nuances of supercharger pairing.

Perhaps most often due to pairing, but i have been on un-paired terminals three times - Buttonwillow, Harris Ranch, and Fountain Valley - where I was getting only about 70A. Changing terminals, once on the paired terminal even, solved the problem.

I just brought up possibilties that occurred in the past and what I've seen.

No, you didn't. You told a little white lie and you got called on it.

Don't worry, it's all good. Just about everyone has exaggerated on the Internet to try and make a point, and near as many have been called out for doing so. It's not a crime.

Just keep it to the facts next time, or at least don't be so defensive when someone calls foul and corrects you.

We've had issues at some SCs (we don't usually bother with the ones on the Merritt Parkway anymore, which is a shame, because it's prettier than 95) but the only one that was reliably unreliable was the Newark, Delaware SC. We were usually using it during heavy travel times near holidays, so it made sense that the SC setup wasn't designed for that kind of load. Then they moved the superchargers across the parking lot to a location less likely to get ICEd and put in 12 terminals. We haven't had any problems since.

I don't know anything about California, though I'd find it surprising if Tesla had a different triage response in its home state. If people are heavily using the SCs for a free charge-up on their daily commute when they have chargers at home, well: this is why we can't have nice things.

• Funny
We drove from Washington State to Hershey, PA then back to Idaho for a total of 4,800 miles. All but overnight charging was done at SC. We stopped very 2 ~ 2.5 hours and at the end of the trip I felt as rested and "ready to go" as I did at the start. I think there is a real physical, human advantage to stopping more often while driving. Plus, we met some people and saw some sights we would have never experienced if we drove for five or six hours at a stretch...