Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked my new P90DL up two weeks ago and drove it home 1400 miles - never owning a Tesla before but it was a great experience and no issues at all.

I used the in car nav system to route to my final destination and next supercharger. I used Waze to verify the fastest route from SC to SC.

I cannot wait for the next road trip. It was great fun.

It's great fun if the superchargers are operating optimally. Sadly, this is often not the case in CA and elsewhere:

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

I rarely had another car at any of the SC's -

e9ylx5.jpg

2v9tf6b.jpg

It's great fun if the superchargers are operating optimally. Sadly, this is often not the case in CA and elsewhere:

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

As a new Tesla owner and CA resident I can vouch for the fact that supercharging has been a huge disappointment. More often than not there is a line, and those lines move slow.

Recently driving back from LAX I decided to supercharge at Hawthorne. After noticing that the charge speed maxed out around 80 mph vs about 240 that I usually get, I did a little googling and there were user reports stating that those chargers were always slow. So, I packed up and went to the nearby Redondo beach charger. That was full with a line that was not moving and not many owners in site for the cars that were plugged in, so after a while I bailed for the Culver City SC, which was my last option as charge was getting low. Was able to get a space there but got some sort of error message about the charging cable. Fortunately there was another open space where I ended up charging. When my charge was finished there was a line about 4 or 5 deep of cars waiting, so I guess it's good I got there when I did.

And don't get me started on the Burbank charger. For a service center that is so busy it's unfathomable that they have only 6 stalls and that those are not always working.

Reactions: apacheguy
I've taken a handful of shorter 1-Supercharger-stop day trips, but I'm currently part way through my first long road trip with my S - nine different Superchargers over about 1700km one way from Vancouver to Napa, San Francisco and the South Bay Area (broken up over a few days)

Often we were the only ones charging, and on the way down we never encountered more than a few other Teslas charging except at the Fremont SC where there was a several-car lineup (weekday around 2:30pm). Was in Fremont for the factory tour and when I asked the guide about the Supercharger there she said it was probably mostly locals charging. Once we were done with the tour (after 4pm) the lineup was gone and a few of the 12 stalls were available.

Actually I was expecting to encounter lineups once we got into California but I guess it's mostly an issue at places like Fremont or Mtn View and further south. Even the Napa SC which I visited a couple different days wasn't busy at all.

I don't find stopping at Superchargers annoying at all, taking a break every couple hours is just right. Combined with using Autopilot I'm finding I feel much more relaxed at end of the day.

I do wish some of the Supercharger locations had better selection of restaurants or things to do

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy and Canuck
I just drove 2600 miles from Seattle to Toronto 2 weeks ago, most of the time was the only car charging, on occasion saw one other car. The only exception was in Toronto, but that was a showroom and parking lot filled with Tesla's (not all charging) - it looked like there was only 1 other actual traveller, also 3 more charging slots were open. Just started heading in reverse direction, will update in 4 days.

Reactions: jvonbokel
We just picked up in Cleveland, OH on Saturday and rove back to Tampa, FL arrived on Monday. Was SC'ing a pain, no not really. The hardest thing is really getting into the swing of not fully charging but doing the stop to stop run. When you do that it takes much less time, yes more stops, but really is only every hour or so. We did "fill" a few times when we knew we had a long leg or where we were having dinner or lunch like Atlantic Station in Atlanta, GA. To be honest it is nice to hop out of the car and never did we have range anxiety or ughhhh we need to stop and charge. My girlfriend took pictures each time and I took a few. We only saw one Model X the entire trip on the road, but made friends at a few chargers.

We just picked up in Cleveland, OH on Saturday and rove back to Tampa, FL arrived on Monday. Was SC'ing a pain, no not really. The hardest thing is really getting into the swing of not fully charging but doing the stop to stop run. When you do that it takes much less time, yes more stops, but really is only every hour or so. We did "fill" a few times when we knew we had a long leg or where we were having dinner or lunch like Atlantic Station in Atlanta, GA. To be honest it is nice to hop out of the car and never did we have range anxiety or ughhhh we need to stop and charge. My girlfriend took pictures each time and I took a few. We only saw one Model X the entire trip on the road, but made friends at a few chargers.

She looks amused at Atlantic Station! :)

Having an original "A" pack, I find SCing on a long trip to be annoying because it's not "20 minutes" it's often over an hour to get enough juice to make it to the next SC. Many of the superchargers I've used, while convenient from a geographical perspective, are not convenient when trying to fill an hour with something to do - especially in bad weather.
I will admit noticing some SC's being built as part of a restaurant chain, and well, those are pretty nice - but it ends up hitting my wallet where I might not have spent the money on food if I didn't have to.

She was a keeper when she rode with me from Orlando to Philadelphia in a race car I bought and drove up that rained on her

Then again when she told me to get the Model S and keep my 335 and turn it into a track toy since I said sold race car

And again when she rode 1300+ miles with me in the Model S

This sounds familiar. Have you shared this story before on TMC, Facebook, or some other website maybe? I'm sure others have had similar girlfriends, so I could be mixing up what I am recollecting. :)

Reactions: Max*