Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginning to feel that we won't see any new Superchargers in Canada for quite a while!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drone Flyer

Feb 22, 2016
Canada
Between Rochester and Buffalo, there are two and a third has a permit. This is roughly the same distance as it is from Toronto to the Port of Good Hope (Charge)!
I just fail to understand why the Ottawa area doesn't have anything planned and it is a major city.
Frustrating to see them in out of the way spots like Parry Sound and Huntsville and yet needed spots like Kanata (Ottawa),
Tweed (On HWY 7 to Ottawa), Trois Rivieres and Quebec City are no where to be found.
I know there could be permit issues, but Tesla should have started to address these 4 years ago! Ugh!

I just returned from a 5 day trip to LA and I saw only 17 Teslas while there.
I see at least 17 Teslas everyday in Toronto!

Between Rochester and Buffalo, there are two and a third has a permit. This is roughly the same distance as it is from Toronto to the Port of Good Hope (Charge)!
I just fail to understand why the Ottawa area doesn't have anything planned and it is a major city.
Frustrating to see them in out of the way spots like Parry Sound and Huntsville and yet needed spots like Kanata (Ottawa),
Tweed (On HWY 7 to Ottawa), Trois Rivieres and Quebec City are no where to be found.
I know there could be permit issues, but Tesla should have started to address these 4 years ago! Ugh!

I just returned from a 5 day trip to LA and I saw only 17 Teslas while there.
I see at least 17 Teslas everyday in Toronto!
I meant Syracuse and Buffalo and there is a permit in place near Rochester.

I agree. When we bought our S two send half years ago in 2014 we were given the very strong impression that Ottawa would have a service centre soon. Well we still do not have a service centre or superchargers near by for travellers to the capital of Canada. We have a few destination chargers - that is all.

Ottawa needs both now, not years in the future.

We keep hoping but travelling to Montreal or Toronto for service sucks, especially when you try to make an appointment for service to match your travel plans to either city. The usual reply is we are too busy but one good thing so far is that the Toronto office has tried to accommodate us when we visit Toronto but usually we need to give at least 6-8 weeks notice!

I am really worried about this. The SC network is THE differentiating aspect of Tesla versus other ev's as far as long distance travel and they are letting the ball drop in Canada. If they were to double the SC network here, as their stated goal is for the U.S. before Model 3, they should have many SC's in permitting now. I love my 2 year old Model S but they gave me the expectation 2 years ago with their "coming soon" map that at least Woodstock, NB, was going to get a SC and now that is gone at a time when they are supposed to be doing their big build out. We go to Nova Scotia every year and the expectation of the SC network being built east past Drummondville was held out like a carrot and was a reason I bought then. Yippee, after 2 years we finally got one at Riviere du Loup. This whole SC business has been a terrible disappointment to me. I put down a deposit on a Model 3 a year ago but I have recently bought a Volt to replace our "ice" because once the Model 3 comes out I suspect the SC network in this country will be overwhelmed and the prospect of waiting for a charge at a SC will be infuriating. And if that gets out into the general media you can kiss the Tesla ev revolution goodbye until it gets fixed, and for a long time after that, because once it is fixed in the minds of the general public that long waits at chargers is the norm, no one will be interested except diehard ev enthusiasts.

Reactions: Imafrog
Tesla seems to install Canadian Superchargers in waves. There are of course delays due to negotiating sites and permitting, and sometimes planned sites fall through altogether.

I'm sure there will be another wave this summer.

They've always massively over-promised and under-delivered rolling out Superchargers and service centers in Canada. That said, they do tend to do what they promise... eventually.

I don't think they have any interest in filling in the vast black holes in Supercharger coverage. At all. I get the impression Canada is looked at with scarcely concealed contempt by Tesla.

I love the way the optimistic people are those who are already linked to the Supercharger network.

This feeling of mine isn't limited to Tesla. I'm incredibly disheartened by the lack of any kind of DC fast chargers on the Trans-Canada and up to here, and 0 interest by anybody to build out the EV infrastructure.

Reactions: Mayhemm and Imafrog
By the time the promised chargers and service centres arrive we will be on to other vehicles.
That is exactly what I fear. We earlier adopters of ev's were willing to put up with inconveniences in charging, but in the expectation that the promises of better charging infrastructure to come were real; but if the much larger numbers of Model 3s arrive without a buildout of the SC network then essentially we will have regressed, rather than moved ahead. That will be a disaster for the company because the sales of new cars will dry up at the same time that their production capacity is exploding. And that would be a disaster for the widespread adoption of ev's.

Reactions: Imafrog
This has always been my worry. At first we had nothing and I had to go to RV campgrounds to travel. And you couldn't go long distances in fall/winter because the campgrounds closed.

Then a handful of Level II's were scattered about. I was always worrying about arriving at a charge station and having it busy or ICE'd (the latter happened a couple of times). I worried about what would happen when more cars inevitably hit the road.

Now we had the Superchargers and more Level II stations. And we're worrying about the same thing.

I think the problem will mostly solve itself. If there is demand then stations will appear. The potential problem is in the lag between demand and response. I think we just need to have faith and keep driving.

Reactions: Jaff and RiverBrick
This has always been my worry. At first we had nothing and I had to go to RV campgrounds to travel. And you couldn't go long distances in fall/winter because the campgrounds closed.

Then a handful of Level II's were scattered about. I was always worrying about arriving at a charge station and having it busy or ICE'd (the latter happened a couple of times). I worried about what would happen when more cars inevitably hit the road.

Now we had the Superchargers and more Level II stations. And we're worrying about the same thing.

I think the problem will mostly solve itself. If there is demand then stations will appear. The potential problem is in the lag between demand and response. I think we just need to have faith and keep driving.
I think you're viewing the matter from the point of view from a place that is actually trying to build up the infrastructure.

Out here, in the west we drive long distances everywhere, because we're so spread out and there's no alternative. Very few people are going to buy an EV because driving a couple of hours followed by a 4 to 8 hour charging stop to go another couple of hours to charge another 4 to 8 hours, etc.

That problem is not going to resolve itself. There's not going to be any demand. No stations will magically appear without that demand.

This is where the government comes in. To fill in the infrastructure where the magic "free market fairy" doesn't.

This is how we wound up with Crown Corporations starting in Saskatchewan. No private company was going to electrify the rural areas, because there was not enough profit to be made. That's why we created Sask Power. To electrify the province.

There's a place for government, sure, in bridging that gap.

That said, the only reason we have any infrastructure at all in Ontario is due to a critical mass of EV owners and a small number of private sector initiatives. The Ontario government is late to the game. And lame to the game. Their recent charging station program has so far been an embarrassing failure. I have yet to use a charger installed on an Ontario government initiative, and have no expectation of doing so any time soon.

Reactions: cwave1 and mrElbe