Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent Control Arm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pretty new Model X was in for some warranty work and they tell me I have a bent control arm. Not aware of hitting any potholes or anything that would have caused it and can't help wondering if anyone else has had that problem?

Misinformation is what's sensitive. As well the idea that Tesla engineers don't know how to build components to withstand normal driving forces.

Understood, but as far as I could tell on the locked thread I linked, the OP there was real and had a real failure. This board sometimes reacts very negatively very quickly to suspension posts just due to that one troll. Someone who doesn't come here much then posts a problem might be caught off guard by that.

Service didn't think a curb issue would do it, and not aware of any impact (e.g., pot holes, etc.) Just made me wonder about the strength of the control arm in a very heavy vehicle and if it might damage easily. Thanks for the video.

Speaking from experience rally racing where crashes and damage are quite common, control arms are designed to bend before transmitting damage to subframes and other suspension mounting points where things are much harder to fix. Much better to just have an easily replaceable control arm.

Should it bend without any noticeable impact? That is still a valid question...

• Informative
Reactions: Magus