Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 3 row PHEV that qualifies for tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a persistent check engine light related to the cooling efficiency of the HV battery pack that they are unable to solve. It's been in the shop 5 times in the 5 months we've had it (we bought it new). I would also suggest checking the Pacifica forums. Lots of people with different issues related to the Hybrid. One other problem seems to be Chrysler's inability to have parts for repairs. Many people have had multiple weeks, if not months, of van in the shop. Mine's been in for a while and still a couple of weeks before parts should be in. I normally take forum complaints of reliability with a grain of salt because it's a very small sample size. The "but" this time is I am now part of the statistic :) and that's never happened to me before.

I did not look at anything else as there were really no good options. The Pacifica fits my use case perfectly... short drives in the morning and night to grab the kids. The Pinnacle trim is very nice and since I managed to get a 2021, I really like the van. The 2022 had a number of decontents and broken features (e.g. the blu-ray player cannot be used in the car because of a software bug. But because there's no OTA, good luck ever getting that fixed). I am almost willing to let them go through it and try to fix it, but my wife is a big no on trusting it. I do agree with her... we can't take the van on a longer drive without triggering the check engine light.

So.... of course your milage may vary and these are just my experience.

Tempting at $48k-7.5K credit but the forums are scary:

I would wait a little... looks like Toyota is going full PHEV. The RX will get PHEV. I bet Highlander will be next (and hopefully Sienna too).

Just hope Toyota move their PHEV to NA factories and source their batteries for credit handouts.

Reactions: vickh
I would wait a little... looks like Toyota is going full PHEV. The RX will get PHEV. I bet Highlander will be next (and hopefully Sienna too).

Just hope Toyota move their PHEV to NA factories and source their batteries for credit handouts.

Yeah not soon enough. Toyota dropped the ball big time, esp since they were the 1st ones w/ Prius. Now I can't even get the Rav4 Prime here in AZ . Will look into RX since wife wants luxury, but I want it to be below $50k. With inflation I'm worried the longer I wait the tax credit will be used up...

We really love our 2020 Pacifica hybrid. 25,000 miles and not a single issue. We have friends with a 2018 with over 60k miles, and another friend that recently got a 2021 - both have been completely trouble free as well.

With our duty cycle of mostly local trips around town and quick L2 charging (full charge in 2 hours), we regularly get ~1500 miles to a tank of fuel.

First Chrysler I’ve bought and frankly the only Stellantis product I’d seriously consider. There are some hit-or-miss quality issues to be sure, and we’ll probably buy the Mopar extended warranty before the factory warranty expires just for peace of mind, but I have zero regrets. After being firmly in the “never minivan” camp for decades, it’s really remarkable how much better they are in essentially every practical way than a SUV. More people space. More cargo space. More comfort. Better fuel economy. And on and on.

And hey, this is a Tesla forum after all… surely nobody here is scared off by inconsistent quality? ;)

I’d put the Pacifica up against a Mitsubishi in a quality contest any day of the week…

Last edited:
We really love our 2020 Pacifica hybrid. 25,000 miles and not a single issue. We have friends with a 2018 with over 60k miles, and another friend that recently got a 2021 - both have been completely trouble free as well.

With our duty cycle of mostly local trips around town and quick L2 charging (full charge in 2 hours), we regularly get ~1500 miles to a tank of fuel.

First Chrysler I’ve bought and frankly the only Stellantis product I’d seriously consider. There are some hit-or-miss quality issues to be sure, and we’ll probably buy the Mopar extended warranty before the factory warranty expires just for peace of mind, but I have zero regrets. After being firmly in the “never minivan” camp for decades, it’s really remarkable how much better they are in essentially every practical way than a SUV. More people space. More cargo space. More comfort. Better fuel economy. And on and on.

And hey, this is a Tesla forum after all… surely nobody here is scared off by inconsistent quality? ;)

I’d put the Pacifica up against a Mitsubishi in a quality contest any day of the week…

Pacifica up against a Mitsubishi. hmm maybe I need to visit Mitsubishi forums. Pacifica forums are scary! 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

Yeah not soon enough. Toyota dropped the ball big time, esp since they were the 1st ones w/ Prius. Now I can't even get the Rav4 Prime here in AZ . Will look into RX since wife wants luxury, but I want it to be below $50k. With inflation I'm worried the longer I wait the tax credit will be used up...

You can’t buy RAV4 Primes in Florida either but I bought two back in 2021 (long story… one was upgraded for another immediately).

Your choices are slim with your requirements. R4P, Lexus, Outlander, Sorrento. Order out of state to avoid dealer markups.

Honestly, I hated the Sorrento and bought a Telluride instead after a back to back test drove of those two. I didn’t care for the Prime’s ride quality but I’m picky. I don’t like ride quality of the Model Y either to be clear.

I don’t know why you care about PHEVs so much. There’s no more tax credit on most of them except maybe the Jeep, BMW X5 and 330e. Just give up on the tax credit and also think about buying out of state and shipping.

You can’t buy RAV4 Primes in Florida either but I bought two back in 2021 (long story… one was upgraded for another immediately).

Your choices are slim with your requirements. R4P, Lexus, Outlander, Sorrento. Order out of state to avoid dealer markups.

Honestly, I hated the Sorrento and bought a Telluride instead after a back to back test drove of those two. I didn’t care for the Prime’s ride quality but I’m picky. I don’t like ride quality of the Model Y either to be clear.

I don’t know why you care about PHEVs so much. There’s no more tax credit on most of them except maybe the Jeep, BMW X5 and 330e. Just give up on the tax credit and also think about buying out of state and shipping.

Wife has severe range anxiety on trips, doesn't drive much locally and wants to go electric

Looking into ordering out of state too (i can drive to CA). My concern is servicing under warranty. Outlander would be great, if it doesn't have serious new model bugs

Wife has severe range anxiety on trips, doesn't drive much locally and wants to go electric

Looking into ordering out of state too (i can drive to CA). My concern is servicing under warranty. Outlander would be great, if it doesn't have serious new model bugs
@vickh If she'll mainly use it for road trips the plug-in aspect won't contribute much. How about a regular hybrid?

One can't "go electric" on longer trips with a PHEV. You'll end up powering it with gasoline for most of the miles.

@vickh If she'll mainly use it for road trips the plug-in aspect won't contribute much. How about a regular hybrid?

One can't "go electric" on longer trips with a PHEV. You'll end up powering it with gasoline for most of the miles.

Yes we hope to be all electric just locally.

My understanding is PHEVs are as efficient as hybrids on trips (other than charger weight?) and plug in at hotels etc when we can

If you don’t drive much locally… the electric part of PHEV is useless. A regular Toyota hybrid works better. PHEV works best if you have a daily commute under 30 miles under 80mph and you have home or office charging. If you drive at high speeds or live in cold climates then the gas engine will kick in and negate the electric benefits.