Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here with a Zappi who can provide any comment on it? Or similar alternatives for a data nerd?

I have a Zappi 2 but I don't currently use it's special features (looking at solar later this year so that is on the cards for the future). I suspect that any smart charger introduces potential issues.

I have not had any problems with reduced charging rate when using timed charging (setting start time on the car). I use the Octopus Go tariff and it coordinates effectively. The charger is not required to do anything smart in this respect... however... I have had 3 occasions since the beginning of September (when it was installed) when the charger has "crashed" ... meaning that the car was not charged in the morning. There have been some firmware updates and this may or may not now be a resolved issue.

In the same way that we deal with the myriad software developments relating to the car you then have the same thing with the charger! Unless you are going to need the smart functions I would probably lean towards a dumb charger and make your like simpler!

I'm very definitely in the "keep things dumb and simple" category when they are essential, like ensuring the car is charged when you need it to be.

There is a place for smart stuff, as well as places where smart stuff is often just an encumbrance, and I get the feeling that there is a push to make a lot of stuff smart just because it's possible. I was around at a friend's place recently, and they've just installed a very neat home automation system. Some features are less than ideal, though. They have no light switches, for example, so to turn the lights on manually they have to find their 'phone, select the HA app, navigate to the right screen, and press the right button. I pointed out that flicking a wall switch would take a fraction of the time and hassle. This did not go down well...

Unless you need/want the solar interface I can't see any reason to purchase anything but the Silver HPWC with the long cable. There are probably 1000's of these installed at Tesla destination charger locations across the US and many if not most are mounted outside.

My two objections to the Zippy would be 1) you still need to use the J1771 adapter which may be waterproof - not sure but it is another link so another potential fail point. And 2) You are going to charge at 7kW (perfectly adequate) so why invest in such an expensive device?

I would say that your ability to charge at 19.2kW using Zippy or another SAE charger is a nice bonus, but you won't see it at 7kW.

Regarding the rebate, perhaps where you live it is different than how they work in the US, but in Austin, Texas you will pay more utilizing the rebate because of the gouging you will get from their "certified" electricians. It is a joke.

Good luck!!! Enjoy your car.

Reactions: Gatsojon
My Rolec is installed at 7kW/32 Amp. However, sometimes, the car gets charged only at 16 amps . Is it usual or the unit faulty?

No, there is a known bug in the Model 3 software, that sometimes reduces the charge rate to 16 A. Several of us have been caught by it, and it seems to be unrelated to the make of charge point.

There's a dedicated thread, here, about the bug: Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

Reactions: ejvee and Roy W.
Might be worth reporting it to Tesla. It may be that they aren't getting many bug reports about this, just because we're all exchanging information here about the car not charging reliably, rather than having the discussion with Tesla about this ongoing problem.

Reactions: Roy W.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but what is the real-world charging rate one can expect from plugging Model 3 Performance into a standard 3 pin socket ?

We have M3P on order and are just looking at charging options. We only do an average of about 20-30 miles / day. We only have an 80 Amp overhead supply to the house which would need to be upgraded. It’s an older property and the cost of installing a wall charger will be considerable due to various constraints. Also, we are planning to move house later this year!

So if we can manage without a wall charger in the short-term until we get into our next property, that would be good!

Thanks!

Standard UK socket will give you 10A, so about 2kW into the battery after accounting for losses (which are slightly higher at very low charge rates).

For Model S, that would be about 6 miles range per hour of charging; Model 3 should be a bit better, but depending as ever on how you use it. The difference between summer and winter will feel bigger when you've such a slow rate of charging - heating up the car obviously uses the same amount of energy, and so loses you the same number of miles of range you could otherwise have had, but when you are charging so slowly it is more noticeable. If you can get the car inside a garage it will make a big difference compared to leaving it outside.

An "80A overhead supply" isn't necessarily an impediment to getting a proper chargepoint installed, but moving within the year probably is!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but what is the real-world charging rate one can expect from plugging Model 3 Performance into a standard 3 pin socket ?

We have M3P on order and are just looking at charging options. We only do an average of about 20-30 miles / day. We only have an 80 Amp overhead supply to the house which would need to be upgraded. It’s an older property and the cost of installing a wall charger will be considerable due to various constraints. Also, we are planning to move house later this year!

So if we can manage without a wall charger in the short-term until we get into our next property, that would be good!

Thanks!

I would go for a non-EV commando install ... I know, I know ... but needs must ...

These are from a LR AWD cold overnight charge at 10A to 87%. That equates to 8.8mph at rated range, but you rarely get rated range, so say 6mph this time of year.

upload_2020-2-16_13-16-46.png

However, following morning, we pre conditioned the car, still plugged in, as it was frozen up car was at 3C inside and out.

upload_2020-2-16_13-18-57.png

So without moving an inch, and still plugged in, battery lost 3% (2kWh) and consumed 0.74kWh electricity - 10A cannot cope with pre condition so needs top up from battery.

But the 17 minute commute was 2% loss at 99.7% rated range miles - ie 227Wh/mile so we had something to show for it. Without pre conditioning, its normally 2-4% battery loss, depending on temperature.

So even though 8.8mph may be achievable, there are lots of factors that affect what these 'miles' are being used for and at lower charge rate, these lost miles are disproportionally high.

Last edited:
Standard UK socket will give you 10A, so about 2kW into the battery after accounting for losses (which are slightly higher at very low charge rates).

For Model S, that would be about 6 miles range per hour of charging; Model 3 should be a bit better, but depending as ever on how you use it. The difference between summer and winter will feel bigger when you've such a slow rate of charging - heating up the car obviously uses the same amount of energy, and so loses you the same number of miles of range you could otherwise have had, but when you are charging so slowly it is more noticeable. If you can get the car inside a garage it will make a big difference compared to leaving it outside.

An "80A overhead supply" isn't necessarily an impediment to getting a proper chargepoint installed, but moving within the year probably is!

Thanks. Yes, car will be garaged and charged overnight.

These are from a LR AWD cold overnight charge at 10A to 87%. That equates to 8.8mph at rated range, but you rarely get rated range, so say 6mph this time of year.

View attachment 511755

However, following morning, we pre conditioned the car, still plugged in, as it was frozen up car was at 3C inside and out.

View attachment 511756

So without moving an inch, and still plugged in, battery lost 3% (2kWh) and consumed 0.74kWh electricity - 10A cannot cope with pre condition so needs top up from battery.

But the 17 minute commute was 2% loss at 99.7% rated range miles - ie 227Wh/mile so we had something to show for it. Without pre conditioning, its normally 2-4% battery loss, depending on temperature.

So even though 8.8mph may be achievable, there are lots of factors that affect what these 'miles' are being used for and at lower charge rate, these lost miles are disproportionally high.

Very interesting! Thanks. What app is producing these data?

Thanks!

I’m waiting for smart metre installation around 6 week’s time. I will then install home charger.

I travel 20-30 miles a day. If you could plug in 3 pin 10 hours daily, I don’t think there’s a problem. And you could check any public charge point around. I found lots around my house, where I work. Some are free as well.

But you need plan ahead if you are going for long distance. I have two cars, so not a issue for me.