Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up that there has been issues with EO and the Model 3. My charger didn't work with the car, nor did the brand new replacement, so ended up with the Tesla unit.

I believe EO have now stated they've fixed the issue, but might be worth clarifying that before handing over any money.
FWIW I've charged my Model 3 on my parent's EO Mini Pro and it worked absolutely fine, charged at the speed I'd expect etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I keep in countering the challenge that in need my internal wires to go over a door. Which is over 1.8 meters, so they keep wanting to charge me more money for 2 people to come and do the job. Which is insane as the work can be carried out unassisted, or with a step.

It almost feels easy for me to install 90% of this myself. All i need them to do is commission the connection at each end. I could do the work in under an hour.
That seems strange.. so the wiring can't be over 1.8m off the ground at any point in the install? I could perhaps understand them needing two people if they were physically mounting the unit that high, but surely wiring isn't a problem is it? I'm pretty sure my CU is more than 1.8m off the ground!

Assuming it's not massively higher than 1.8m I'd be tempted to feign ignorance and ply the installer with lots of coffee and biscuits on the day.

• Funny
Why are they all, apart from the Andersen, so damn ugly?

I was so close to ordering a PodPoint, but am really struggling to commit to a big ugly blob sitting on the front of my garage in full view.

Maybe I just need to pay the extra for the Andersen, and suffer the 12-week delay. Ugh. Thankfully there are a couple of free ChargePlaceScotland chargers just round the corner from the house which I can use in the meantime.

Reactions: Durzel
I keep in countering the challenge that in need my internal wires to go over a door. Which is over 1.8 meters, so they keep wanting to charge me more money for 2 people to come and do the job. Which is insane as the work can be carried out unassisted, or with a step.

It almost feels easy for me to install 90% of this myself. All i need them to do is commission the connection at each end. I could do the work in under an hour.
One up the ladder, one holding it - Health and Safety! o_O

It's not just the appearance of the chargers - it's the wiring from the meter box that just seem to be tacked along the house wall in most installations. It just doesn't look right. Spend all that money on a nice Andersen and have the appearance spoilt by the cabling to it.

I was so close to ordering a PodPoint, but am really struggling to commit to a big ugly blob sitting on the front of my garage in full view.

Maybe I just need to pay the extra for the Andersen, and suffer the 12-week delay. Ugh. Thankfully there are a couple of free ChargePlaceScotland chargers just round the corner from the house which I can use in the meantime.
I know. The Tesla one is alright looking but then you have the cable just looped around it.

All of the others that I've been able to find are uniquely ugly.

Check out the JuiceBox charger, am tempted by it and love the retro look.

That seems strange.. so the wiring can't be over 1.8m off the ground at any point in the install? I could perhaps understand them needing two people if they were physically mounting the unit that high, but surely wiring isn't a problem is it? I'm pretty sure my CU is more than 1.8m off the ground!

Assuming it's not massively higher than 1.8m I'd be tempted to feign ignorance and ply the installer with lots of coffee and biscuits on the day.

Yup. I totally accept that the main box would cause issues if it was over 1.8 meters.
My guess is that sales people don't really understand practical matters.

Just imagine if you had a petrol pump installed on the front of your house ;)
I know you jest, but if that actually was a thing I'm sure there would be aesthetically pleasing versions of them. As it is Andersen seems to be the only game in town, which I find quite bizarre.

I don't know what the others are going for exactly with their designs but whatever it is - it doesn't float my boat.

I've pulled the trigger on an Andersen A2. I don't even have a meter installed yet for the connection it needs to go on.

12 week lead time.. ugghhhhh. Wish there were some other options. At least it gives me some time to get an ethernet cable in situ though.

DHL delivered my Andersen A2 today. It's sitting in it's box waiting for the installer to arrive tomorrow.

All I need now is a VIN, a final invoice, a delivery date and a car, none of which appear to be forthcoming :rolleyes: