Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning now for the delivery of a Model Y LR (still months away)...

What type of home charger would you recommend getting. I can't predict the future, but there is always the possibility of a non-Tesla EV. Should I get something like a Chargepoint charger or stick with a Tesla one?

Thanks...

I see. Thank you. Has Tesla changed the Wall Connector recently or is an updated model due to come out?

Does the Wall Connector have features like knowing when it is in use, ability to lock it, etc?
I just installed mine and didn't install the wifi stuff and just use it for basic plug & charge so can't really answer that. I know it has some more advanced stuff but I haven't messed with it.

I see. Thank you. Has Tesla changed the Wall Connector recently or is an updated model due to come out?

Does the Wall Connector have features like knowing when it is in use, ability to lock it, etc?
No physical lock but you can now set the Gen3 Wall Connector to only recognize specific Tesla vehicles (based on the VIN.) Tesla periodically releases over the air firmware updates for the Gen3 Wall Connector so it is anyone's guess as to future capabilities. I have had a 50A circuit and the NEMA 14-50 receptacle since 2016, have owned several different non-Tesla EVSEs. If I was installing a charging circuit for charging a Tesla vehicle today I would go with the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector. At $400 US there are few third party EVSE that are priced even remotely close to the Wall Connector. (The 40A capable GrizzlE Classic is one such EVSE.)

In 2021 Tesla updated the Gen3 Wall Connector and lengthened the charging cord from 18 ft to 24 ft. The 18 ft cord was a potential issue that made placement of the Wall Connector more challenging in some home garages unless you were willing to back in to the garage to be able to plug in and charge. The price history of the Gen3 Wall Connector has been $500>$550>$400. I don't think the price is likely to fall or even remain at the current price indefinitely as the price of copper wire is in flux and supply chain issues are still a lage factor.

Last edited:
In terms of cost, the TWC wins vs. the competition in $/watt delivered.

About the only caveat I'm aware of is something that New Jersey's doing. If one has a particular wall connector that can be rigged to report energy usage back to the Public Utility mothership, one can get reduced electricity rates on the electrons from that utility. Let me check.. It's a state program, but it's administered through the utilities. PSE&G says that to get a $0.02/kW-hr, off peak reduction for electric vehicle charging costs, one has to have a "Level 2 Smart Charger". The list of chargers/wall connectors are
PSE&G Approved Charger List:
  • ChargePoint Residential & Commercial Smart Level 2 Chargers
  • ChargePoint Software (ABB)
  • JuiceBox (EnelX) Residential & Commercial Smart Level 2 Charger

None of which are Tesla. I actually contacted both PSE&G and Tesla and, well, no go. From what I can tell, Tesla's mothership can get the charging data with the right options set on the Gen 3 WC, but there's no data path available to go back to an entity like PSE&G. The other utilities in NJ have similar programs. Don't know what, if anything, Maryland is doing in this regard, but it might be worthwhile to check.

Again, this is NJ over here. There are various rebates for installing Wall Connectors, assistance in dropping heavier power lines in case one's breaker box doesn't have sufficient amperage, and so on. Heck, we don't even pay sales tax on EV's! Let me check Maryland.. Yep, they got lots. Suggest you push your way through the link and see what they've got for you. A quick perusal seems to indicate that you'll get reimbursed for the full cost of the charging station and at least some of the utilities have reduced rates for EV charging.

Reactions: Luvtoride
Tesla Wall Connector will give you the maximum possible speed of charge at home - 48A, if you use 60A breaker connection setup. It will add about 44 miles per hour to your battery.
It has WiFi so software updates potentially will enable the new features.
Right now features are: load sharing if you have several wall connectors installed and restricting which Teslas can be charged. This is useful if you install a charger outside and don't want that somebody going to try to use it.

P.S. I am also months away from the delivery, but wall charger already installed :)))

Reactions: Pricedm and IWRBR
I got the Tesla wall connector a couple months ago, and it works great. I didn't even bother researching other brands. Mine is inside my garage so no issues with unauthorized people using it, but it does have the ability to be locked to only your car.

I'll agree the Tesla Wall Connector makes the most sense if you only plan to own Teslas. The Tesla Mobile Connector (which used to come standard with the car but now costs $200) also works well, but maximum charging miles for a Model Y drops from about 44 miles added range per hour of charging to 32 miles (according to Tesla's website).

If you think you might also get a non-Tesla EV, then there are other options. With just one L2 charger, you'd need an adapter to charge both cars (one at a time); either a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter for the Tesla Wall Connector or a J1772-to-Tesla adapter if you get a J1772 charger.

We have a Model Y and a Kia Niro which uses a J1772 connector. We got a 48 Amp Emporia J1772 charger for both cars. At $449 ($399 without UL approval) it costs a bit less then the Tesla Wall Connector. But you also save on the adapter since a J1772-to-Tesla adapter for the Emporia is only $50 (still comes at no extra charge with your Tesla so far as I know) while a J1772-to-Tesla adapter for a Tesla Wall Charger is larger and costs about $160.

The Emporia works well with the Tesla (with the J1772-to-Tesla adapter included with our MY), has very good ratings, also supports wireless, and has a good app for charger settings and monitoring power usage.

Emporia EV Charger at Amazon

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Thanks. After reading through all of your replies and researching, I most likely will get the Tesla Wall Connector.

I'm still a little baffled at the price ($400). Why is the Tesla Wall Connector so much cheaper than say a Chargepoint Home Flex ($750)?

Thanks. After reading through all of your replies and researching, I most likely will get the Tesla Wall Connector.

I'm still a little baffled at the price ($400). Why is the Tesla Wall Connector so much cheaper than say a Chargepoint Home Flex ($750)?
My guess is because Tesla is not trying to make money on Wall Connectors, while for Chargepoint it's line of business to sell those charging stations. By the way, Tesla made it cheaper after they told that Mobile Charger will no longer be included with the car and reduced price from $550 to $400 for Wall Connector

After reading through all of your replies and researching, I most likely will get the Tesla Wall Connector

Excellent! Now think about wiring. If you tell an electrician you want a 60-amp circuit it is not uncommon for them to use #6 romex, but this wire is NOT suitable for a Wall Connector 60-amp circuit as it is limited to a “continuous load” of 44-amps and the wall connector will draw 48-amps on a 60-amp circuit. You will instead need something like THHN, which has to be run in a conduit. If #6 romex is used you can set the connector to a 50-amp circuit in which case the charging rate will top out at 40-amps, which is still a very good number.

I've said it before, the wall connector is expensive and unnecessary. If you're like most owners, you charge at night, so the extra speed of the wall connector is wasted. My car tops up overnight easily at my 220-volt outlet, which cost me about $15 and which I installed myself (I mean, it's only 3 wires, after all). I've been using my outlet for a dozen years, previously on my RAV4EV, and it's always done the job, now on its fourth Tesla.

I don't see the need for the wall connector when a simple outlet will do the job just as well and will top up the car overnight. The wall connector is an unnecessary expense. But, hey, some people absolutely MUST have carbon fiber rims, too.

I've said it before, the wall connector is expensive and unnecessary. If you're like most owners, you charge at night, so the extra speed of the wall connector is wasted. My car tops up overnight easily at my 220-volt outlet, which cost me about $15 and which I installed myself (I mean, it's only 3 wires, after all). I've been using my outlet for a dozen years, previously on my RAV4EV, and it's always done the job, now on its fourth Tesla.

I don't see the need for the wall connector when a simple outlet will do the job just as well and will top up the car overnight. The wall connector is an unnecessary expense. But, hey, some people absolutely MUST have carbon fiber rims, too.
I used mobile charger too but wall charger has longer cord and better Aesthetics and as bonus faster charging.

Reactions: jcanoe