Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best hours to recharge my Tesla in San Diego?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why EVTOU5 instead of EVTOU2?

EVTOU5 can be way cheaper depending on how much you charge the car and other household electricity uses. TOU5 charges you 14.5 cents during the evening vs. 28.5 cents on TOU2. Having more than 1 EV would definitely get you a price savings vs. TOU2 even with the flat $16 service fee. My friends with large houses and pools save a ton having TOU5. Of course, having solar clouds the calc between the two.

EVTOU5 can be way cheaper depending on how much you charge the car and other household electricity uses. TOU5 charges you 14.5 cents during the evening vs. 28.5 cents on TOU2. Having more than 1 EV would definitely get you a price savings vs. TOU2 even with the flat $16 service fee. My friends with large houses and pools save a ton having TOU5. Of course, having solar clouds the calc between the two.
It would take 114 kwh of TOU2 charging to equate to $16.

Reactions: massihakim@gma
It would take 114 kwh of TOU2 charging to equate to $16.
Also, don't forget all of the other energy that you would save $0.13 per kWh on (if you are on EV-TOU5) from midnight to 6am on the weekdays and midnight to 2pm on weekends and holidays...

But from a bigger picture perspective, the question to start from is whether you have solar or are planning it? Do you or will you generate annually what your consumption is or over generate? Then spending $16 per month for EV-TOU5 to be able to buy cheaper super off-peak energy when you are probably not buying much utility energy may not be the best choice...

Switched off tiered to EV TOU-5 years ago.. Prices sure have increased ALLOT over the last 4 years.
Just got a smart heat pump water heater so I can turn it off from 4:00-9:00 and I crank it up after midnight to a higher temperature to help with morning usage. Hoping it will save me around $1500-$2000 a year. Also a good idea to do laundry and use the dryer at night between 12:00 and 6am.
My Smart Dryer isn't so smart though and does not allow me to schedule it to run (Pretty much the only feaure I would use).
SDG&E Prices are so high I need to figure out a way to sleep durring the day and live my whole life around SDG&E's off peak hours.
Solar... Meh our system is failing after 10 years. 32 panels and we still owe $2000+ at the end of the year for a tiny 1400sqft home.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Switched off tiered to EV TOU-5 years ago.. Prices sure have increased ALLOT over the last 4 years.
Just got a smart heat pump water heater so I can turn it off from 4:00-9:00 and I crank it up after midnight to a higher temperature to help with morning usage. Hoping it will save me around $1500-$2000 a year. Also a good idea to do laundry and use the dryer at night between 12:00 and 6am.
My Smart Dryer isn't so smart though and does not allow me to schedule it to run (Pretty much the only feaure I would use).
SDG&E Prices are so high I need to figure out a way to sleep durring the day and live my whole life around SDG&E's off peak hours.
Solar... Meh our system is failing after 10 years. 32 panels and we still owe $2000+ at the end of the year for a tiny 1400sqft home.
What is failing on your solar? Are the panels not generating much anymore? Or just specific components are failing? It shouldn't be too costly to fix any specific failing components. I've had my solar system for 8 years now and it's been awesome since we have a hot tub and at times, had 2 EV's. I think I will add some more panels this year to help offset the R1T's larger electricity needs.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod