Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best insurance I found! $860/year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$300K for liability and underinsured motorist, $1000 deductible on comprehensive and collision with no deductible on glass damage. That's important here in Washington where there is no law about covering your load and windshield damage rates are among the highest in the US.

It's the Superior package:
http://www.sandvikinsuranceagency.c...urance_-_auto_insurance_-_coverage_levels.pdf

My SO is an attorney and she worked for a little while in a personal injury practice. She recommended the $300K limit. You can't cover every single possible situation, but $300K is going to cover most personal injury/wrongful death cases.

We don't have a lot of expensive cars around here either (I recently went from driving what was probably the oldest car in the neighborhood and probably the least valuable to the most expensive), but if you're every going to be using a supercharger, you will be around cars that cost $100K+.

Ah, but there is a state law in Washington State against unsecured loads...and strictly enforced. This is a long section:

RCW 46.61.655
Dropping load, other materials—Covering.

(1) No vehicle shall be driven or moved on any public highway unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking, or otherwise escaping therefrom, except that sand may be dropped for the purpose of securing traction.
(2) No person may operate on any public highway any vehicle with any load unless the load and such covering as required thereon by subsection (3) of this section is securely fastened to prevent the covering or load from becoming loose, detached, or in any manner a hazard to other users of the highway.
(3) Any vehicle operating on a paved public highway with a load of dirt, sand, or gravel susceptible to being dropped, spilled, leaked, or otherwise escaping therefrom shall be covered so as to prevent spillage. Covering of such loads is not required if six inches of freeboard is maintained within the bed.
(4)(a) Any person operating a vehicle from which any glass or objects have fallen or escaped, which would constitute an obstruction or injure a vehicle or otherwise endanger travel upon such public highway shall immediately cause the public highway to be cleaned of all such glass or objects and shall pay any costs therefor.
(b) Any vehicle with deposits of mud, rocks, or other debris on the vehicle's body, fenders, frame, undercarriage, wheels, or tires shall be cleaned of such material before the operation of the vehicle on a paved public highway.
(5) The state patrol may make necessary rules to carry into effect the provisions of this section, applying such provisions to specific conditions and loads and prescribing means, methods, and practices to effectuate such provisions.
(6) Nothing in this section may be construed to prohibit a public maintenance vehicle from dropping sand on a highway to enhance traction, or sprinkling water or other substances to clean or maintain a highway.
(7)(a)(i) A person is guilty of failure to secure a load in the first degree if he or she, with criminal negligence, fails to secure a load or part of a load to his or her vehicle in compliance with subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section and causes substantial bodily harm to another.
(ii) Failure to secure a load in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
(b)(i) A person is guilty of failure to secure a load in the second degree if he or she, with criminal negligence, fails to secure a load or part of a load to his or her vehicle in compliance with subsection (1) or (2) of this section and causes damage to property of another.
(ii) Failure to secure a load in the second degree is a misdemeanor.
(c) A person who fails to secure a load or part of a load to his or her vehicle in compliance with subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section is guilty of an infraction if such failure does not amount to a violation of (a) or (b) of this subsection.

According to the State Patrol, the load doesn't need to be covered if there is 6 inches of freeboard.
Request Rejected

In practice gravel is flying off the back of trucks all the time. Or at least that's my experience.

I once had a massive nut about 4 inches across fly off a junk hauler and bounce off my windshield. It was headed right at my face and I have no idea how my windshield managed to survive the hit.

Thanks everyone posting that my liability 25k/50k is too low. I just upgrade to 100k/300k and changed the comprehisive to $100 deductive from no deductible. The new price is $895 instead of $886. It is only $9 increase, but my other 2 cars has increased about $100 each. below is a copy of my coverage
  • Description
  • Premium
  • Vehicle 1: 2011 DODG GRAND CARA
  • $672.00
  • Vehicle 2: 2009 TOYO VENZA
  • $611.00
  • Vehicle 3: 2016 TSLA MODEL X
  • $895.00
  • Vehicle 4: 2012 Airs sports
  • $90.00
  • Total Annual Premium:
  • $2,268.00
2016 TSLA MODEL X
Type

Coverage
Premium

Bodily Injury

• $100,000 per person
  • $300,000 per occurrence
Premium $88.00

Property Damage

• $100,000
Premium $107.00

Uninsured Motorist

• $100,000/300,000
Premium $44.00

Personal Injury Protection

• Yes
Premium $91.00

Medical Expenses $15,000
No Deductible

Comprehensive

Deductible$100.00

Premium $159.00

Collision

Deductible $500.00

Premium $399.00

Towing & Labor

$50

$4.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

$20,000

$3.00

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
My MX P90D came in at $1700 per year. Higher than I thought it would be but the coverage is greater due to my exposure. You insure for what you do not want to pay out or cannot afford to. The average wrongful death in Wa State about 8 years ago was $1.5 million. So I insure for $2 million per occurrence plus a $2 million business umbrella and a $5 million personal umbrella. $1000 deductible on the initial policy and no deductible on umbrella. Oh, and I have a nice black Tesla umbrella.