Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best (Max) MPH charge rate of the HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Well, I searched and didn't find this topic so I introduce it.

I am very jealous of the 72 amp AC charger in the old Model S's. My Model 3 will never be able to take full advantage of 16kW destination chargers. I know my car is slightly more efficient, and the best I have seen from any HPWC has been 45 MPH. So I was curious what the most MPH one gets charging from an 80 amp circuit on the older Models. I think there were also dual 40 amp AC chargers, if that's true I am curious about those too.

Sorry, I'm a noob still.

-Randy

240 volts x 80 amps is 19.2 kW. That is about 58 mph. The only way to get 80 amps in your garage is to have two 40 amp chargers installed in the car. My car came with one 40 amp charger installed. I paid to have a second one installed. Even with the HPWC wired with 2 gauge wire, at 80 amps the voltage drops down to about 236 volts because of the voltage drop in the wire. The wire gets warm with that much current flowing through it. I very seldom charge at 80 amps. Usually I use 50 amps which puts 25 amps through each charger and the voltage drop in the wire is minimal.

As a noobie, you probably just don't understand reality.

Reality is that generally, you will probably NEVER need that amount of charging speed. I charge off of the UMC and have never needed to charge even that fast.

You have to realize, that destination and J-1772 chargers are not quick chargers and you shouldn't treat them like one. Sure there are times that I wish a L2 charger was a quick charger, but it just isn't.
Especially in California, you are surrounded by Superchargers. The only issues is sometimes finding an empty slot.

You position and thoughts are common noobie concepts. It's part of range anxiety and you will eventually overcome it. One of the best things is to take that long trip. I've recently taken a 2 week 1200 mile trip and a 1 week 1800 mile trip. On neither trip did I have to worry about charging, neither trip did I pay more than $40 and used a combination of Superchargers, destination chargers and 120V plugs to make the trip one in which I never worried about charging.

That's not to say that I didn't do my homework. Pre trip review, using the nav while travelling, a hotel destination charger, one hotel without great charging options, but nearby Supercharger, and a hotel with a120V plug made for great trips.

Having a 2015 Leaf with a range of 88 miles certainly helped me get over range anxiety.

We have 100 Amp service to HPWC. Model S 100D can charge at 72 Amps. My friend's S 85D with dual chargers pulls 80 Amps. Our 2-gauge copper cable barely felt warm when he charged for an hour or so while visiting. My friend visited another time just after our daughter and her husband had their HPWC installed with 100 Amp service. I rode over with the friend so we could "field test" the HPWC and verify its 80 Amp capability. It passed. Noticeable voltage drop due to long cable run.

We've had the S 100D and HPWC for a year now. Used full-rate charging a handful of times. Usually when, at mid-day with low battery level, we decide to dine at a fairly distant restaurant that evening. Plug in HPWC, dial up to 72 Amps. No range anxiety or SuperCharger detours on the drive home after dinner.

We start trips to New England in the evening. If the S was driven during the day, I'll use the highest charge rate to get the battery as close to 100% as possible before departure.

Reactions: Blu Zap
As a noobie, you probably just don't understand reality.

Reality is that generally, you will probably NEVER need that amount of charging speed. I charge off of the UMC and have never needed to charge even that fast.

You have to realize, that destination and J-1772 chargers are not quick chargers and you shouldn't treat them like one. Sure there are times that I wish a L2 charger was a quick charger, but it just isn't.
Especially in California, you are surrounded by Superchargers. The only issues is sometimes finding an empty slot.

You position and thoughts are common noobie concepts. It's part of range anxiety and you will eventually overcome it. One of the best things is to take that long trip. I've recently taken a 2 week 1200 mile trip and a 1 week 1800 mile trip. On neither trip did I have to worry about charging, neither trip did I pay more than $40 and used a combination of Superchargers, destination chargers and 120V plugs to make the trip one in which I never worried about charging.

That's not to say that I didn't do my homework. Pre trip review, using the nav while travelling, a hotel destination charger, one hotel without great charging options, but nearby Supercharger, and a hotel with a120V plug made for great trips.

Having a 2015 Leaf with a range of 88 miles certainly helped me get over range anxiety.

Wow, that was a crappy post to welcome a new Tesla enthusiast. OP asked a simple, straight forward question about the capabilities of the older Model S's. He didn't need a lecture on why higher charging rates may not be needed for daily use. If I asked a question on how to prepare a rib-eye steak, I'm not looking for an answer about how a salad would be a better choice. :)

I have a dual charger Model S, but I've never been able to test it on an 80 amp charger. I would also be interested to know what kind of real world MPH people are getting.

Usually I use 50 amps which puts 25 amps through each charger and the voltage drop in the wire is minimal.
When charging at 50A, one charger is doing 40A and the second one 10A. People have reported having a faulty secondary charger and being able to charge up to 40A, but when the primary charger is faulty, no charging is possible even if secondary one is fine (though Tesla SC can remove the primary and make the secondary a primary in case if you prefer to downgrade to 40A instead of paying to fix the second charger out of warranty).

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
So when you are charging using the full 100 amp circuit, What is the MPH you see the car charging at?

-Randy

Hmm... So two chargers equaling 80 amps, like a 48 amp charger and a 32 amp charger.... Perhaps dual chargers will continue to be a thing.

The older models had a dual charger option of 40a each. The newer S and X have 48a standard with an additional 24a option for a total of 72a. Tesla at one point started making the 72amp option standard in the 100D models. (And P100D)

There was not a 24A option after the switch the 48A standard chargers; all Model 3s and 75Ds have the 48A charger while the 100D/P100Ds have the 72A charger. You are not able to upgrade or choose the charger anymore.

I was able to get 58mi/hr @ 80amps when using a destination charger.
Reference: Supercharger - Green Bay, WI

High Amperage Charger Upgrade 75D from April 2016 Build. Destination chargers are not all created equal as we know, some surprise me. Great lesson on how the chargers uptake amperage though above with dual configuration.

I charge HPWC at home 40A or 29mi/hr charge 244 volts-its plenty for most of my days. Conduit is Full to garage to pull heavier gauge to achieve any more then what I am now. Nights are better for higher voltages in my neighborhood, so I charge from 1:30 am to whenever, pool equipt kicks in after 9am from the same 60A feed.

High Amperage Charger Upgrade in this car was probably not necessary, but its nice to have.

Last edited:
How do you know what charger is in the car? Mine is a August 2018 build

1.Your Monroney(window sticker) will tell you, if you have it. OR

2.Charge menu at the top select it.
Select amperage. That should be the easiest. High Amperage upgrade of late 72A, I think. 48A otherwise as per the above.

3.Call Tesla from the VIN they can tell you. Expect to be on hold for a while these days.

4 Remove the rear seat for visual inspection. Not recommended. "Warning-No user serviceable parts contained within". Darn it.

Last edited:
I have a 2014P85 with dual chargers and a 15mile round trip commute near Green Bay.
Last winter I got by on a 30amp 240 outlet but it was inefficient at morning warmup and a few times when family emergencies or other things came up I really wished I had more quick capacity.
Installed a HCWC and am loving it. It allows you to keep the UMC as backup in case of failure. I can cut road trips closer because when I get home I can charge at over 50miles added per hour. Adds meaningful range while unloading before running to the grocery store or whatever.
My car has a wounded secondary charger, service says it "dropped a phase" so the car while it has 2x40 chargers only pulls 72amps which is good for 52-53mph.

Installing at 100amps allows for load sharing with a second unit later if that becomes a thing for you.

Highest I've ever seen people mention on the old dual charger setup was 62mph.

I have the 72A option and it is usually in the low to mid 50mph range, depending on voltage.

Jeeze whoever’s house that was they should look into why their voltage is that high. It’s great for increasing the charge rate but that kind of pressure isn’t good for household items.

The varying voltage between locations is what confuses people. They see 30A and have an assumption as to the miles per hour they will charge at. A change in voltage will ruin that number. I think that’s why Tesla and other companies advertise the charge rate in kW.

Example 72A at 197v = only 14.184kW.
You need at least 238V to hit the max kW on the older 100D of 17.2kW. Over a 3,000 watt difference. Between the 197v sometimes found at destination chargers and the 238v common at residential could equate to a 8-9 mph difference.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan