Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best model year for CPO model s p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think Tesla is hitting older cars with battery hate/Chargegate with people that super a lot. They weren’t put in to be used daily and yet some people do. mine hasn’t been touched. I don’t know why. Will it eventually. Ya probably. But my 4 year old Prius also used to get 410 miles out of a tank in the spring. Now it’s lucky to hit 365. So same thing happening with gas cars. Tesla’s are more fun to drive despite all the crap.

I wonder if the people that have been capped are original owners that laid over $100k. I supposed I’d be pretty pissed if that was me. But at $50k for a car with a Monroe year of $114 I’m ok with that.

is there a way to understand battery health by asking more pictures of range display etc?

You could ask for pictures of the rated range and then the current battery %. If you know those two, you could calculate your total roughly. I don't think they will be able to get that for you until you're in person though since these cars are often in storage I believe.

FWIW, when I purchased my P85D last year, I did all the paperwork remotely (Tesla can't sell in TX) and when I picked up the car, they let me inspect it.
I found a few defects from the previous owner that weren't shown in pictures online and they told me to get with my sales adviser. I emailed him, he asked for pictures, and he put in a request with the Service Center to have them fixed.

Reactions: AronAZ
I love my 12/2014 P85DL- it is an amazing car. The + suspension is great and the speed is more than any car I have ever owned. However having said that, it runs 11.7 in the 1/4 mile, roughly on par with a new model 3P. This car has 90k on the odometer, so keep in mind that as the cars age they get slower and have less range. I knew that going in and am happy with my car. How fast will that model 3P be in 6 years? Definitely not as fast as mine (if it is still around ).

Reactions: AronAZ
i think Tesla is hitting older cars with battery hate/Chargegate with people that super a lot. They weren’t put in to be used daily and yet some people do. mine hasn’t been touched. I don’t know why. Will it eventually. Ya probably. But my 4 year old Prius also used to get 410 miles out of a tank in the spring. Now it’s lucky to hit 365. So same thing happening with gas cars. Tesla’s are more fun to drive despite all the crap.

I wonder if the people that have been capped are original owners that laid over $100k. I supposed I’d be pretty pissed if that was me. But at $50k for a car with a Monroe year of $114 I’m ok with that.
Has nothing to do with frequency of supercharging that we know of.

I have a Feb 2015 P85D with 40k KM's and about 4% degradation in battery (scan my tesla and math). Been in a couple 3P's. I prefer mine for many reasons (bought it late 2019 and could have easily picked up a much newer 3P for less). I also find that the P85D's have an absurd/obnoxious launch compared to the 3's and even the newer P100D's/Ravens launch much smoother (echoed across other threads in this forum). I almost exclusively charge at home but I have noticed the throttling at the superchargers. I just use ABRP to plan longer trips so I arrive at <20% and I can get to 80+% in the time it takes for a pitstop/quick bite.

I love my 12/2014 P85DL- it is an amazing car. The + suspension is great and the speed is more than any car I have ever owned. However having said that, it runs 11.7 in the 1/4 mile, roughly on par with a new model 3P. This car has 90k on the odometer, so keep in mind that as the cars age they get slower and have less range. I knew that going in and am happy with my car. How fast will that model 3P be in 6 years? Definitely not as fast as mine (if it is still around ).
Would like to get your view, there are very few p85DLs out there but would you recommend over regular P85d does L package also improve other aspects from reliability battery point of view.

I noticed on used car from private party with back of trunk (with underline) indicating L package but screen not showing underline..does that mean Tesla removed L package? why would such thing happen if car banging still indicate L package?

I noticed on used car from private party with back of trunk (with underline) indicating L package but screen not showing underline..does that mean Tesla removed L package? why would such thing happen if car banging still indicate L package?

It could be that or it could be a $10 Ebay sticker. I de-badged mine and put the bumper refresh on it so most dont even know what it is (except for many on this forum).

Reactions: m335
Rear badging means nothing. Sometimes even the software badging can be hacked.

Confirm whether it has the required pyro fuse for the battery pack or any documentation from Tesla to be certain.

On tesla CPO site one car that i was tracking moved to different state and showed up again..what does it mean..someone put $100 and decided to ship and then walked out loosing that money?
First of all, there are no CPO Tesla’s. Only used Tesla’s.

Someone may have purchased it and refused delivery or they may have been shuffling inventory.

This is correct, the rear badge is an indicator, but the MCU screen will be the final authority. The ludicrous package allegedly added about 75 HP, but that remains debatable. The only real way to know would be to race two similarly mileage cars- P85D and P85DL and see...

I just wanted to add a comment in this thread: bought a 90D in December. First Tesla. Love it. NEVER going back to ICE. Selling both of our other ICE cars this year, and going full Tesla.

Had a P85D loaner a few weeks ago. 60k or 70k miles. Other than the thinner seats and a faded (of sorts) MCU screen with a yellowing border, I was beyond impressed with how solid the car still was, and how brutally quick it was. Acceleration in my 90D is what I'd consider VERY Fast. the P85D in Insanity+ was brutal. Not even sure if I missed the FSD (I have FSD in my 90d) for those couple of days.

This is correct, the rear badge is an indicator, but the MCU screen will be the final authority. The ludicrous package allegedly added about 75 HP, but that remains debatable. The only real way to know would be to race two similarly mileage cars- P85D and P85DL and see...
thanks! between p85d and p90d which one you would recommend for MY2014-15?

If you are going for a P90D you should look for one with the refresh nose-cone AND the V3 battery (after July 2016). But that combo is pricier and wasn't worth it when I was looking (I paid $2K for the TSportline FBR on my P85D and couldn't be happier).

I love how each one of these suggestions is slowly inching his price tag up tens of thousands of dollars. In a perfect world we'd all just buy brand new Performance Model S's and have the best of everything. The reality is that most people have a budget and have to consider the financial aspect of these decisions. In my opinion the P85D represents the best value in Tesla today.