Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in a pickle and need a bit of advice.

What is the best place to Sell or Trade Tesla Model 3 that has less than 1000 Miles?

I purchased the new Model 3, at the beginning of December 2019, and we didn't like the build quality of the car (mostly with the exterior appearance including: panel lineup, panel gaps, Trim layout, scratches on window glass, etc), we missed our window during the first week to return the car. And we have been interacting with Tesla Delivery and Support team for past 5 weeks to fix some of them, considering that experiance a longterm relationship isn't possible with these people. We want to cut our losses and move on. Advice is much appreciated.

Send me pictures. I may be interested and willing to offer more than a Carvana, etc.

What is the best place to Sell or Trade Tesla Model 3 that has less than 1000 Miles?

I purchased the new Model 3, at the beginning of December 2019, and we didn't like the build quality of the car (mostly with the exterior appearance including: panel lineup, panel gaps, Trim layout, scratches on window glass, etc), we missed our window during the first week to return the car. And we have been interacting with Tesla Delivery and Support team for past 5 weeks to fix some of them, considering that experiance a longterm relationship isn't possible with these people. We want to cut our losses and move on. Advice is much appreciated.

If this post is real, you can probably use your State's Lemon laws to force Tesla to take it back.

Though I'm not sure it's real.

General experience is Tesla will fix delivery issues, provided you document them as delivery issues. Go to your nearest Service Center (in person) and speak to the manager and ask what Tesla's plan is to fix the issues.

Reactions: preilly44
Used market for Model 3 is extremely high. Should get most of your money back, less tax credit and fees.

Need to place an ad on Autotrader or such and work a private deal.

Right now, there is a waiting list for Model 3. Perhaps someone is willing to give you a premium for immediate delivery.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I dont quite understand your post... because you use the word "trade in" instead of "sell". You didnt ask where the best place to sell a model 3 was. You asked where the best place to trade one in is. Trade in, implies you want to trade it in on another car.

Thats going to be a dealer by dealer thing, not even a brand by brand thing. You might get better TRADE IN value from a premium brand like mercedes, bmw, audi or porsche... but thats going to depend on what the dealer in question wants to give you for it, and they ALL are going to low ball you most likely. Those dealers dont really want a tesla to sell, they just want to sell you a car.

Now, if you are talking about best place to SELL your car, that would be private party. If you just want to dump it and move on, if you price it 2-3k below what you see a similar car on auto trader for, you might get someone to do that fairly easily. One thing though, you just detailed all these issues you have with the car, so anyone in THIS thread that is looking to buy your car from you will price that in accordingly.

Reactions: preilly44 and OCR1
Used market for Model 3 is extremely high. Should get most of your money back, less tax credit and fees.

Need to place an ad on Autotrader or such and work a private deal.

Right now, there is a waiting list for Model 3. Perhaps someone is willing to give you a premium for immediate delivery.

Or he
I dont quite understand your post... because you use the word "trade in" instead of "sell". You didnt ask where the best place to sell a model 3 was. You asked where the best place to trade one in is. Trade in, implies you want to trade it in on another car.

Thats going to be a dealer by dealer thing, not even a brand by brand thing. You might get better TRADE IN value from a premium brand like mercedes, bmw, audi or porsche... but thats going to depend on what the dealer in question wants to give you for it, and they ALL are going to low ball you most likely. Those dealers dont really want a tesla to sell, they just want to sell you a car.

Now, if you are talking about best place to SELL your car, that would be private party. If you just want to dump it and move on, if you price it 2-3k below what you see a similar car on auto trader for, you might get someone to do that fairly easily. One thing though, you just detailed all these issues you have with the car, so anyone in THIS thread that is looking to buy your car from you will price that in accordingly.

Just be careful. We don't know how real this is or whether the poster has seriously attempted to get this fixed by a Service Center.

If this post is real, you can probably use your State's Lemon laws to force Tesla to take it back.

Doubtful. People underestimate the time commitment and *sugar* you have to go through to win a lemon law case. Especially considering Tesla declares everything 'goodwill' and not warranty fixes to make it harder to lemon them. Or just downright refuses to document reported issues... How do you meet lemon criteria when they won't provide the documentation to meet the law's requirement?

OP is actually probably better off to cut their losses and move on if they are seeing this kind of behavior right out of the gate.

New Tesla In Need Of A Repair? Check If It Was Marked Goodwill

Sometime they are going to get ahold of the wrong customer and there is going to be a legitimate class action case around their bs.

Last edited:
Doubtful. People underestimate the time commitment and *sugar* you have to go through to win a lemon law case. Especially considering Tesla declares everything 'goodwill' and not warranty fixes to make it harder to lemon them. Or just downright refuses to document reported issues... How do you meet lemon criteria when they won't provide the documentation to meet the law's requirement?

OP is actually probably better off to cut their losses and move on if they are seeing this kind of behavior right out of the gate.

New Tesla In Need Of A Repair? Check If It Was Marked Goodwill

Sometime they are going to get ahold of the wrong customer and there is going to be a legitimate class action case around their bs.

More likely that this is a bogus post, so don't sweat the details.

Though I'm not sure it's real.

General experience is Tesla will fix delivery issues, provided you document them as delivery issues. Go to your nearest Service Center (in person) and speak to the manager and ask what Tesla's plan is to fix the issues.

I did speak with the Delivery Center's Manager.... no use... They are charging me to fix two issues (Glass with Scratches and Boken Clips). And for the alignment of the body panels, the service engineer is saying that they cannot do much, due to the fact how the Car is built or put together (trying to fix one side panel might break other panels from aligning). Which i agree with.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g

You got it.

I wanted to Trade-in, so that i can use the trade value to escape state-imposed fee or tax.

The reason to get rid of the car was to avoid dealing with Tesla's customer service, they are poor to communicate with and they bully their customers. I have owned and purchased brand new cars, and Tesla's customer service is the poorest. I have never owned a BMW / Mercedes (I heard their customer service is poor as well, especially covering repairs under warranty), but I never had a problem with Audi, Lexus or Acura which I owned/own.

Last edited: