Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Roadtrip car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Took my longest road trip so far (500 miles each way) and the S proves to be the best roadtrip car I have owned. With minor exceptions of one SC station not working properly at one spot and the EAP trying to take some highway exits on it's own the trip was great.

Love driving only about 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a time and taking a quick break and using EAP on the highway almost the whole way. Made 500 mile drive to Columbus Ohio and back nice and easy.

New Nav worked perfectly planning the trip each way, came in slightly under predicted battery level at each stop both ways.

PFPaKAhQLxAEiOluzj5nQsklteMShGd6y5iOuoMcQoVHD3_lxI5j463H2AqOQwZK5Dqv0zcFyG3NZCQTq_QCiT6yXJeSAUO7iBkrtpe8FJVB46tUDilZ5lxK5V76zQ42k63qQ9OP7cDQPApNiZjf9Nm5e465FencwkHpcSXUX0-nV-5RP_NaFoEWaj1jKkYelXpmziUDjmfBgEdRblAws_IIjuQcWSXPWFqz7PSAgdURCGa4ugL9rZ9PDS1cLYXka-0jjoC0Qz51egc6tIYoR4Mt8buB5iz7_PLUtmSnSEaERL4m6wK7iN4Wqv2UiPtdvGWNPZ98b9aCM1nD5Um9FqivNzHLgf-T1185mFJL-lx4EQAf5OqpWueb2BCth5uOJHeaSf1bEF2UDzS84Ph-uuOe0nsau82aY2AbUKNFV6Y-i_VYR6MfUeuJ4QCmjd_3qs_eJfcGZIdLtMZce1xqcVb0Ryd5cb-ZqcqKZ18uaPKLA_WSprZ65WE_-6qQ6d8OifaLAjx_bKls8_AnByO85xP1UPJN-Z8FN30s-LljdxjdtKg-AzX-tV2-gPYyuep_-BKC2_rKl4k9wG6x6laXNF-rEPAHvN0Zx4KgKGQU=w1224-h918-no

yep! recently took the family about 550 miles from northern VA to Charleston, SC, and it was awesome. my wife was pretty leary of leaving the minivan at home, but the Model S had more than enough room for the four of us and our week's worth of beach stuff, and the drive was probably the most enjoyable long drive our family has taken. two supercharger stops on the way down, and two on the way back. they lined up perfectly with lunch and dinner, so the car was ready to continue before we were. couldn't have gone smoother.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Our Model S 85D replaced our ICE road trip car, and it has been the perfect car for long trips.

We have travelled up to 640 miles/day, with supercharger stops at bathroom breaks and meals. With good planning it is a rare event that we ever need to wait for the car to charge. Driving with autopilot, and the short walks to restaurants to get your blood flowing, make the trip much less stressful.

GSP

Recently completed coast to coast and back 7500 hundred miles total with our 2017 MS 90D Agree great road trip car. Loved the downhill mountain behavior with regen, no tapping the brake and prerfect hold on the set TACC speed. Supercharger network worked great for our itinerary with only one stop at an RV park required for a side trip into the Nebraska panhandle for some genealogy research.

Reactions: NewTMSMan and arcus
Definitely the best roadtrip car ever! We do it with just the 2 of us and fold the back seats down to make a wonderfully comfortable and spacious bed, with the proper cushion in place it is very comfortable! (the junction between rear of seats and trunk floor is a step and uncomfortable without proper cushion in place)

We actually used to own henderrj Model S and did 2 full cross-country roadtrips in that one! San Diego to Orlando Florida and then Phoenix to Nantucket, within weeks of each other; was one of the funnest months of driving of my life!

We now have P85DL and it is crazy fun around town and also an amazing roadtripper!

The pace of supercharging stops is fantastic and relaxing, Autopilot makes late-night driving less draining and allows you to keep yourself alert to real road issues rather than arduously focusing on staying between the lines...

Reactions: arcus