Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best time to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With end of Q3 approaching, and with the quality control issues in mind for MY, are there any data points that would suggest units built within the last month of the quarter are somehow sub-standard to those built without a quarter end “deadline” imposed on the production line and sales floor? It would seem ordering now would at least net a 4xxxx VIN and most likely a delivery by end of the quarter but i wonder if it is worth waiting until the first week of October for a Q4 build/delivery?

With end of Q3 approaching, and with the quality control issues in mind for MY, are there any data points that would suggest units built within the last month of the quarter are somehow sub-standard to those built without a quarter end “deadline” imposed on the production line and sales floor? It would seem ordering now would at least net a 4xxxx VIN and most likely a delivery by end of the quarter but i wonder if it is worth waiting until the first week of October for a Q4 build/delivery?

Not sure there is rhyme or reason. I've seen people in this general area (NE) with orders before & after mine and roughly the same (maybe sans hitch or diff wheels) get an earlier delivery and 4xxx VIN than I got (36xxx). And mine won't show up for another 1 1/2 weeks. If the MVPA is being truthful, it must not be a return with 15 mi although I guess it could be a reject.

Not sure there is rhyme or reason. I've seen people in this general area (NE) with orders before & after mine and roughly the same (maybe sans hitch or diff wheels) get an earlier delivery and 4xxx VIN than I got (36xxx). And mine won't show up for another 1 1/2 weeks. If the MVPA is being truthful, it must not be a return with 15 mi although I guess it could be a reject.

I read that 15 miles on odometer is just a hold over number. Doesn't mean anything. Mine says 15 as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500
That brings up another question- how does one know your vehicle isn’t used for a test drive prior to accepting delivery? I know when I did both test drives, one was black with the 20” induction wheels and I was surprised they were using that. The other was blue with Gemini.

so the consensus, it would seem, is that regardless of ordering for delivery by end of Q3 is just as much a crap shoot for QC as ordering in October. But by now, assuming a 4XXXX VIN, you will receive the new taillights, revised interior door buttons, and may have the new one piece unibody frame. Is it confirmed the casting machine is in production?

That brings up another question- how does one know your vehicle isn’t used for a test drive prior to accepting delivery? I know when I did both test drives, one was black with the 20” induction wheels and I was surprised they were using that. The other was blue with Gemini.

so the consensus, it would seem, is that regardless of ordering for delivery by end of Q3 is just as much a crap shoot for QC as ordering in October. But by now, assuming a 4XXXX VIN, you will receive the new taillights, revised interior door buttons, and may have the new one piece unibody frame. Is it confirmed the casting machine is in production?

You can ask your SA if they used your vehicle for test drives. I highly doubt it.

I was told by the Store Leader that I would receive my MY by the end of September, she said anywhere from September 15th through the 30th so fingers crossed that actually happens.
Unless you order a performance everyone in California is getting their car the last two weeks of September....So the Q3 numbers are high. Shipping cars east end of quarter makes no sense. Sadly shouldn't have sold my truck 3 weeks ago. Down to one car for another month.

Unless you order a performance everyone in California is getting their car the last two weeks of September....So the Q3 numbers are high. Shipping cars east end of quarter makes no sense. Sadly shouldn't have sold my truck 3 weeks ago. Down to one car for another month.

im in Los Angeles, and i ordered a blue MY performance 8/20. Still haven't receieved any delivery schedule. only a text 1-3 weeks message almost 2 weeks ago. i think performance models will also be end of sept too.

if you want a perfect Tesla Model suggest waiting a year or more. Good luck.

Yes, because 51-60k should come with minor imperfections to structural issues. God forbid a consumer wants the advertised product. You get better quality control from amazon sellers. No consumer should have to deal with issues like these, and if you're suggesting consumers wait a year, maybe Tesla should be the one waiting a year to release an actual finished product they can stand behind.

You get better quality control from amazon sellers.
No. The last two things I have bought from the supposedly very controlled "Amazon Renewed" sellers have both been broken. One was a cell phone with a faulty touch screen. I returned that, and ordered another that was fine. The one I'm dealing with now is an XBox One. It's defective--video output keeps blacking out. The seller denied the return saying it was longer than 30 days. But it was advertised with a 90 day return policy. So I appealed to Amazon's returns, and they denied it--no reason given. I am still appealing that, and we are still inside of the 90 day return window, so I don't know what their problem is.