Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to orient suitcases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
What is the best way to orient and store suitcases in the Model X trunk with the 3rd row seats folded down?

My suitcases are your typical airline checkin bags: My Samsonites measure: 28.75" x 19.5" x 10"

On my last road trip to SF, I was only able to fit 2 suitcases. My smaller RDX can fit 3 and my older 2014 MDX did 4. Doesn't the X have the largest capacity? Perhaps I am just packing inefficiently. What do you recommended?

I took 4 to the airport last week for a week's travel. They had 4 suitcases plus a backpack. Don't know the dimensions on the suitcases but I packed 1 on the folded down rear seat (other was up for 5th passenger), 2 standing upright in the storage "well" behind the 3rd row (I removed the cover and left it at home), 1 lying flat in the frunk along with the backpack.

I would try to pack your X like this minivan:
packed-car.jpg

Don't try to open the Falcon Doors though.

• Funny
Reactions: Stasla and K-MTG
The X has a ton of storage capacity even with the third row up IMO. I'm coming from a Highlander that has a tiny trunk with all row up. I took a trip to Yosemite this summer and was able to fit two large suitcases (the largest size you can check on a plane) in the trunk well. On top those went a normal size carry on suitcase, two backpacks and a couple of grocery size tote bags. Since the entire frunk was empty we tossed out fishing gear in there including a 5 gallon bucket and had room to spare.

In my highlander one of my kids would have been in the third row sitting next to a large suitcase and other stuff while the kids in the second row would have their backpacks at their feet. The fishing gear would have made it, but not the bucket.

The X has a ton of storage capacity even with the third row up IMO. I'm coming from a Highlander that has a tiny trunk with all row up. I took a trip to Yosemite this summer and was able to fit two large suitcases (the largest size you can check on a plane) in the trunk well. On top those went a normal size carry on suitcase, two backpacks and a couple of grocery size tote bags. Since the entire frunk was empty we tossed out fishing gear in there including a 5 gallon bucket and had room to spare.

In my highlander one of my kids would have been in the third row sitting next to a large suitcase and other stuff while the kids in the second row would have their backpacks at their feet. The fishing gear would have made it, but not the bucket.

How did you orient your two large suitcases?

What is the best way to orient and store suitcases in the Model X trunk with the 3rd row seats folded down?

My suitcases are your typical airline checkin bags: My Samsonites measure: 28.75" x 19.5" x 10"

On my last road trip to SF, I was only able to fit 2 suitcases. My smaller RDX can fit 3 and my older 2014 MDX did 4. Doesn't the X have the largest capacity? Perhaps I am just packing inefficiently. What do you recommended?
Cargo Capacity or Thereof

Two of the larger ones are flat, third larger is on long side and the smaller one is the one you see closer to the hatchback.

Some orientations, which is the best?

The suitcase was empty, not sure if it will fit in the bottom compartment when its stuffed.

Attachments

• IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 113
The bottom compartment was also what Tesla demonstrated I believe but I never found it practical for a few reasons:
1. Can't really fit more than two 21in roll-ons into that space. It's been a while since I tried that and am not even sure if the hatchback will close with 21in probably need smaller ones if you want to go vertical.
2. If you put the roll-ons vertically, you cant put anything else.

If you put horizontal flat (wide side flat), you can stack atleast another on top and you can still get a couple sideways on the side and another towards the hatchback.

On our recent Tahoe drive, I fit two large suitcases, a cooler, four full reusable grocery bags, two open bins of boots, and two Tempurpedic pillows in the back and didn't obstruct the (admittedly already limited) view out the back window. Our other cooler went between the 2nd row seats with a bin of toys/books on top for the kids.

I bought four sleds while we were there, and they fit in the far back on the way home as well.

Play with orientations. I get a lot of satisfaction out of an efficiently and securely packed space.

Reactions: xkwizit