Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to use Smartwatch as key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the model 3 be made to use the NFC in a smartwatch?
Or how about recognizing the bluetooth in the watch?

The only way I've seen is -> watch talks to the phone which then goes through the internet -> which then talks to the car
Takes forever this way

Why bother with NFC? The phone key works via bluetooth and doesn't require internet service. The app only needs to exist to allow the watch to pair to the car as an authenticated key.

Being able to use the NFC on the watch would be great for situations where you don't want to carry anything (exercising, sailing, etc.). You can turn off the Bluetooth on the phone and leave it in the car, then you can use the NFC to lock the car and get back in after your done.

Similar to the Activity Key for Jaguar/Land Rover.

Reactions: gt2690b and RBowen
I would rather have Tesla add more features (TPMS info, heating seats, view from dashcam... etc.) in the existing phone app. The latest somewhat 'high-end' vehicles from other car manufacturers have a lot of great features in their phone app.

Last edited:
Not sure how an ‘app’ would use NFC. If the watch has NFC, you’d pair that to the car and it would work like the card, no?
It depends on how the communication was implemented, but as far as I know every use of the Apple Watch as a key (ie, unlocking your hotel room) has been through an app. I haven't dug much into Apple's NFC library but I don't think there is any way to get it to work without an app (the main question for me is, even with an app would it be able to work without me fiddling with my wrist, ie, just raise it to the door to unlock).
Why bother with NFC? The phone key works via bluetooth and doesn't require internet service. The app only needs to exist to allow the watch to pair to the car as an authenticated key.
Would be nice as a backup solution for people who are having problems with bluetooth or want to have bluetooth turned off for whatever reason. There's also something cool and futuristic about waving your watch at the door to unlock it but I suppose that's not much of a reason to implement it...

Being able to use the NFC on the watch would be great for situations where you don't want to carry anything (exercising, sailing, etc.). You can turn off the Bluetooth on the phone and leave it in the car, then you can use the NFC to lock the car and get back in after your done.

Similar to the Activity Key for Jaguar/Land Rover.

The watch itself could entirely replace the phone as a bluetooth key by pairing the watch to the car just like the phone is, even if it didn't have cell service. IMO, NFC would be a last resort alternative.

The watch itself could entirely replace the phone as a bluetooth key by pairing the watch to the car just like the phone is, even if it didn't have cell service. IMO, NFC would be a last resort alternative.

I agree, I was answering why bother with NFC, but, yes, ideally, it would be great if the watch could pair both via Bluetooth and NFC (and in essence, how the fob works but with passive entry). You can use the watch as a Bluetooth key (similar as the phone) for day-to-day use but also have the NFC on the watch as backup (replacing the key card).

^- Fun to see what has improved over the years (completely off topic I know). but now its 2022 and yes I can see the TPMS info I can heat the seats and I can view the dashcam live :) Of course next to also being able to see the designation (if set) and what is playing when the car is driving. Best is I did not even have to buy a new car for this :). It took a while though.....

^- Fun to see what has improved over the years (completely off topic I know). but now its 2022 and yes I can see the TPMS info I can heat the seats and I can view the dashcam live :) Of course next to also being able to see the designation (if set) and what is playing when the car is driving. Best is I did not even have to buy a new car for this :). It took a while though.....

you bumped a 2.5 year old thread for this?