Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Winter Tires for ModelS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get a set of winter tires for my MS 2015 85D
My tire size is 245/45/19 All season tires.
Can anyone suggest which brand name and model will be the best to use for Tesla.
I live just north of Toronto, Canada and our winter is really messy and slushy. Previously I’ve used Cooper Tires, Weather Master for my other vehicles and I was very happy with those. This brand doesn’t come in this size here, need to find something else.
Anyone had experience with different winter tires for Tesla’s, please share.
Victor

Second winter with a MS 2018 100D running Nokian R2s. They're the best studless winter tires you can get here. My girlfriend got the R3s this year, and she says they're great. I highly recommend the Nokians. Even with the higher price, they're much cheaper than losing control.

Reactions: Krash and VictorD
Hakkepeliittas hands down. No comparison. I’m now running X-Ice-Xi3s as I found a good deal but cannot wait for them to wear so I can go back to the Hakkepeliittas....
What specific differences did you notice between the Michelins and Hakkas? I have the Michelins and loved them. I have not driven any car with the Hakkas and am curious to know how much better the Hakkas are.

Moved to post in sticky thread : Winter tire recommendations

2020 winter coming up.
Any recommendations?
Am considering

$317 CAD

Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 tires

Vs
$265 CAD

Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 - P245/45R19 XL 102H BSW

We are replacing our Nokian R2's which are EOL.

Here is a decent looking comparison performance wise. On ice acceleration and handling the Hakka's are clearly better, the Michelin's are near the bottom of the pack yet they have better ice braking.

What I was looking to find was rolling resistance, or fuel/energy usage. The Nokian's are clearly the winner here too.

Goodyear ultra grip ice 2 and the Continental Vikingcontact 7's both had a good showing as well.

Michelin X-ice Xi3 test and review of the Michelin X-Ice 3 | AllTyreTests.com

Last edited:
I bought the X-ice by Michelin for my car. I’ll mention this but know that I don’t have the information at hand to back this up. There is some question about winter tires maintaining the winter performance as they wear. It was the reason I got the Michelin’s, they reportedly maintain their performance well as they wear. I live in Michigan having moved here from a less snowy state. I don’t plan to explore the bleeding edges of snow and ice performance, I just want to get around without the slipping and sliding about that happens with the factory tires. So my impression is that the Michelins work well, wear well, and maintain their performance over the life of the tire.

In winter, I'm not that worried about performance, fwiw, in Toronto area, Toto tires was not far away, and they had a special deal for Tesla Model S last year --- I bought a set of Nexen WInguard Sport 2 XL and survived all winter through all sorts of nasty ice and snow and slush.

Based on reviews, this tire measured very low noise level, high on kms longevity wear, and ok for most others. If it has a weakness, the rolling resistance is the highest of the tires tested - meaning Whr/km may go up a bit --- I noticed an increase when switching back to the summer tires but I've seen the same effect on efficiency with decades of driving --- there's just no way winter tires are going to do well at warmer roads. My winter driving is never aggressive, my main concern is safety : that the car is drivable and never skids, which it never did. I also bought a set of 19" replika wheels and Tire pressure sensors off them. They work and look ok.

Nexen WinGuard Sport 2 test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com.

Also, be careful that you pick a set of tires rated for extra load (the MS is extremely heavy and needs wheels and tires that can take that extra weight).

Last edited:
I balanced the importance of performance and noise when I bought. I owned Blizzaks in the past and never had a noisier tire. They performed ok but sounded like an airplane on takeoff. Just awful. I’ve had Hakka’s as well. Probably nothing better in the snow but still a bit noisey for me.

I went with the X-Ice 3’s and the only bad thing about them is that they are quieter than my summer Yokohama’s. They are very close to my Hakka’s in performance but less noise which really matters to me.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Oh well, if there ever was a good final answer to this...
However, I'll try to answer you.

It really depends on your road conditions, you say you have slushy roads.

If I draw parallels to me here in Norway, we have slushy roads in the south part of the country where they salt the roads.
And from middle to north there are less salting and more icy and snowy roads.
I have lived several years both in the thickest forest with winters with -35/40 centigrade to more coastal and southern areas with no more than -15 centigrade during wintertime.

And my findings is simple, different conditions require different tires, even if they are all wintertires.

When i lived north, I only used tires like nokian with studs and I drove alot on glassy ice on top of packed snow that's been run over. Sometimes the roads where sanded but sand often just blows away unless there's a sunny day which melts the top of ice a little to make the sand stick.
Continental was not that great at that time, but I hear it's better now, icecontact 3 seems to be fine on my family's medium size car up north.

But where the winters road conditions are are slushy "salted roads", you don't need grip, but you need channels for the slush to move away and rubber that's soft enough with lamels that can grip like several small foots in succession and increase the holding force on snow and ice when mowing over.

Where I live now, is about the same height as forth Smith in Canada.
They are salting the main highways, so they are slushy, but we have minor roads, forests and mountains that aren't salted and have just snow.
So I have best use of an non studded, lamelled, winter tire with good side stability and good channels for slush and water. This works good both in the woods on snow and the highway (120km/h) on slush.
So in order to get a tire with correct softness to work on wet/slushy roads I need an "northern European continental" tire and not an "northern Scandinavia" tire mixture.
(not to be confused with the brand continental)
So for me the tires I have had best experience with on my conditions, and bigger cars, it is Goodyear ultragrip ice.

I had and tried continental because it was great on family's smaller car (ford fokus), but was a nightmare on bigger cars in my family, (Peugeot 508, Ford mondeo, Tesla model s), no sideways stability and feels like slushing around, car feels unstable and on the edge in 70/80km/h on slushy conditions.
However, on the service van (almost 4 tons), type c tires, the continental tires works great again.

This is all a about personal preferences, driving style, etc.
But I handle all tires in the family, I think it's interesting about different shapes, rubber compounds, etc, so I always change the rubber to the right one for the person in the family, my grandma doesn't need the same tires as my uncle, or my brother, they live different and drive different. They would experience the others tires as horrible on their cars and/or where they live...

With that said, stay away from all year tires, these are the worst...
-there's a big difference in what's needed on a wet and cold VS. Wet and warm, or even just dry and warm asphalt.

My gsxr750 and dodge viper does not perform well with track tires on normal road either, requiring a different rubber and more grooves for water.
I never understood why people would have track tires on theyr motorcycle on the road, tires will never reach and hold their temperature needed for the stickiness you want in a racing tire on a normal road.
Okay, enough ranting about tires, I just find it fascinating that all contact your vehicle have with the road goes trough the tires and the contact area is about the size of your hands, and that area handling all braking, cornering and accelerations, g-forces and what not...

And no, I don't sell tires, I have a tire machine and balancer in my workshop, but this is for my own use.

With that said, stay away from all year tires, these are the worst....

Well said, so many variables. The word snow has multiple meanings, so when reading a review on Tirerack from someone who simply says "tire A is so much better than tire B I had 3 seasons ago" this is one memory from one winter condition from possible a 50% worn winter tire brand on one car in a very slippery packed wet snow compared to an 80% tread winter tire brand on a different car in a variety of freshly fallen snow with plenty of grip (you know, the kind that make really good snowballs) it is too subjective to draw a meaningful comparison.

And you probably get more winter driving experience in one season than most readers here get in a lifetime.

I know one set of Nokians I had from years ago were fabulous in the deep snow and slush, while a later set were not as good on deep snow and slush but excelled on ice. So many variables.

But here is some more info from this Caranddriver review. It is from a few years ago, so it is the Nokian Hakkapellitta R2 not the R3 against the Michelin XI3, but to emphasize your point above, I have entered the ice braking distance for the all season Michelin A/S 3 that some TMC forum members say "is really good as a winter tire" (and yes, it is not the A/S 3+, which I have read has better performance in the snow/ice, but still I believe the point is clear)

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 5.48.43 AM.png

Michelin A/S 3 _________4.48 ________38.3 _____11.99 _______52.9

Winter-Tire Test: Six Top Brands Tested, Compared