Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wireless pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I bought one of these to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J5J9JB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does work with my front USB ports and is small enough to put two on the dock shelf. Due to the extra thickness, it is difficult to balance a phone on the lower lip of the dock, so I am going to get a couple of those sticky phone holder pads.

View attachment 273276

What if you got one of these and cut out a circle for the charging pad??

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Mi...eywords=sticky+gel+pads+for+cell+phones&psc=1

Considering making a 3D-printed housing to fit 2 of these round charging pads in that will just fit into the space. Will give it a lip to prevent from slipping down. And might cover it with the window cling vinyl as suggested to keep the phones from sliding all around.

But need to get the car so I can take measurements.

I'm going to try to fit a wireless pad where the phones usually sit. Ideally, I'd like a non-slip pad that I can just rest my phone on top of and have it work.

Since the cables that came with are USB-C and Lightning, I'd have to use a converter to micro-USB since that's what most charging pads plug into.

Anyone did this already and have an opinion of which pad fits the best? That is to say, doesn't slide around and firmly grips both the phone and the bottom section.

Problem solved — I bought this one for my Model 3 and have had it in for three weeks now, just resting on the rubber mat, fits and works perfectly and phone has not at any point seemed likely to slip off (with my iPhone X and with my wife’s 8+)!:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RCK6X2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4E5AAbXWJPBXB

Just reverse the direction of the slide in kickstand part, and it becomes a tray for the phone.

I wish Tesla would offer a Qi pad accessory but until then I definitely recommend this inexpensive upgrade to all Model 3 owners.

Enjoy, Joseph

• Helpful
Reactions: Az_Rael
Problem solved — I bought this one for my Model 3 and have had it in for three weeks now, just resting on the rubber mat, fits and works perfectly and phone has not at any point seemed likely to slip off (with my iPhone X and with my wife’s 8+)!:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RCK6X2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4E5AAbXWJPBXB

Just reverse the direction of the slide in kickstand part, and it becomes a tray for the phone.

I wish Tesla would offer a Qi pad accessory but until then I definitely recommend this inexpensive upgrade to all Model 3 owners.

Enjoy, Joseph
Sounds great! Thanks for the info. Can you post a picture or two of the setup? Not sure what you mean about the ‘reverse the direction...’

Yes, I don't see how that would work....unless the stand part sticks out pretty significantly. Would love to see a picture.

As for the Qi charging, with only 1amp coming out of the usb, how fast is this charger? I opted to simply have a wireless powered by the ia the 12V for now. But would love to see this work.

Reactions: MP3Mike
As for the Qi charging, with only 1amp coming out of the usb, how fast is this charger? I opted to simply have a wireless powered by the ia the 12V for now. But would love to see this work.

Yep, the 1A front USB ports will be a problem for Qi charging. (But you can plug a Qi charger into the rear USB ports, which are at least 2.25A and you should be OK.)

Yes, I don't see how that would work....unless the stand part sticks out pretty significantly. Would love to see a picture.

qi1.jpg
qi2.jpg

I bought two of these Qi pads which connects via micro USB on Amazon. I am thinking of placing them side by side and 3D print a rubber piece to replace Tesla's rubber piece on top of them. But my model 3 will not be here until March at the earliest. Anyone interested in experimenting, send me the exact dimensions of Tesla's rubber piece, I'll send them a copy.

CJ

Reactions: chojn1

@tracksyde,

Thanks for the measurements. This is what I have so far:

Version 1

IMG_20180129_191325390.jpg

The entire plate is 5mm thick. The two Qi pads snapped into place flushed with the pad surface to reduce the charging distance from the pad to the phones. There is some friction with the soft TPU, but I am thinking I will need to add some vertical ridges in the next version to prevent the phones from sliding around.
The other option is to cover the entire surface with . . . Alcantara for a clean look?

IMG_20180129_191336071.jpg

This is the underside, I am hoping the wires will line up with the USB port holes of the base plate.

Reactions: tracksyde
Great start! Essentially what I was thinking to do. My thoughts were to have the channels for the USB wires extend all the way tot he bottom of the mat, so it can lay flat. Also, I was going to include a ridge along the bottom edge to allow the phones to rest against it and not slide off, since the mat is thicker than the ridge already on the M3’s tray.

Keep in mind, I dont have a M3 yet, so my thoughts are based on what I imagine from seeing pics.

I’m also not sold on the “alcantara” look. Esp. Since mine won’t have it. But having some soft/grippy material would also help with preventing sliding around and rattles.

Great start! Essentially what I was thinking to do. My thoughts were to have the channels for the USB wires extend all the way tot he bottom of the mat, so it can lay flat. Also, I was going to include a ridge along the bottom edge to allow the phones to rest against it and not slide off, since the mat is thicker than the ridge already on the M3’s tray.

Keep in mind, I dont have a M3 yet, so my thoughts are based on what I imagine from seeing pics.

I’m also not sold on the “alcantara” look. Esp. Since mine won’t have it. But having some soft/grippy material would also help with preventing sliding around and rattles.

If you look at @tracksyde video, you will see two holes in the center of the base plate where the USB cable must pass. If you route your cables to the bottom of your pad, you will have to route it up the base plate channels up to those holes. I thought I could by pass that by letting the cables exit my pad directly above those holes.

Also the pad is 5mm thick and will replace the existing soft pad so no additional depth is loss at the bottom ridge.

I am still playing with the design for the vertical ridges to keep the phones in place. It is a little bit of a design challenge due to the trapezoid shape of the base. What do you think about a custom mat with an exact negative impression of my phone on the left and my wife's phone on the right?

@tracksyde, thanks for the video. PM me with an address if you are interested in a copy of the final design. You are on your own with the electronic parts though.

CJ