Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd add, how will it work with gloves on? The iPhone doesn't.

A friend of mine gave me some wool gloves with capacitive conductors in the finger ends so there are options. I don't want to loose the touch screen if we can help it!

Depends on if they choose capacitive or resistive. Capacitive is more responsive, but doesn't work with gloves. Resistive is probably less expensive and more widely available, though capacitive is catching on now.

Capacitive all the way baby!

Resistive is so old school now, it requires pressure to activate and doesn't work well with 'flick' motions plus, it isn't as tough as it requires a flexible membrane over the entire surface.

Resistive might win the day though as, despite the quick warm up (as noted) I still see people driving in gloves, often women, and I'm not sure that they'd be happy not being able to use the heater controls, set the nav or change the station on the wireless.

I'd still choose capacitive + a pair of those fancy gloves... Perhaps the car should ship with a couple of pairs?

For what it's worth, an EV warms up very quickly because there's no waiting for the engine to warm up first before you get heat. You get heat immediately upon starting the car.

At morning exterior temps in the low 40s, high 30s I timed the heater to start pumping out hot air between 30 and 45 seconds.

At morning exterior temps in the low 40s, high 30s I timed the heater to start pumping out hot air between 30 and 45 seconds.

Thats not much, how about when its -20 with a -50 windchill? Welcome to Jan/Feb in chicago! While a touch screen is a neat idea it wont work well in a car. Lets also look at the fact for a touch screen you have to LOOK at the screen to see where/what ur pressing. If there were buttons you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Trying to touch some small keys at the bottom of the touch screen is going to be dangerous as you will need to look directly at it to interact with it. Its even more dangerous if the screen keeps changing and the button positions change.

I NEVER feel around my dash to find a button. It is muscle memory and my finger goes EXACTLY to preset 5, the volume knob, or any other button. I never miss and hit the hazard lights or some other knob. You would be surprised how little you actually look at the dash even if it were a touchscreen. At the same time, I am willing to bet that you take your eyes off the road for other reasons and are still doing just fine. Over exaggeration does no one any good. I am not saying it will not take time to get used to it, but if you get a new car, it takes time to learn that as well.

Finally, buttons changing locations would be a valid concern, if it were the plan to do so, but it is not. Specific buttons will remain in a specific location. Moving buttons makes no sense for anyone. This is not going to be automotive wack-a-mole. :)

The Model S Design presentation discusses the stationary button situation very well.

They are also talking about the inside steering wheel screen (i.e where the tachiometer usually is) showing status in menues or somesuch. So you can see there that you are inside adjusting radio stations submenu, which would explain why you can't change the AC :)
Seriously looking at the presentation and knowing both Musk and Tesla I'm sure they will have a good functional system. They know they will be a laughingstock for everyone if you've got a premium car that can't adjust heating in the seats because you can't find the button.

Cobos

Finally, buttons changing locations would be a valid concern, if it were the plan to do so, but it is not. Specific buttons will remain in a specific location. Moving buttons makes no sense for anyone. This is not going to be automotive wack-a-mole. :)

The Model S Design presentation discusses the stationary button situation very well.

Actually, I thought that WAS the plan. Depending on the screen you were in, your menus would change. Similar to opening an app on the iPhone. A tap in location doesn't always mean the same thing.

Though, it's not like they'll be just up and moving on their own. You'll need to actually initiate that change most likely, in which case, you're already focused on the screen.