Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better SEATS are coming to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seats are not comfortable. This is personal and to each his own, but a significant number of forum members have commented on it, from what I've read. And given Musk has talked about it, its not just a few crackpots. I love my Tesla but the seats in my Volt are easily 2x more comfortable. Again, personal preference.

If they come out with new seats and I sit in one and its a major change, I would definitely shell out $$ for an upgrade. Not sure I'd go 4k though. Wonder if they would just replace the drivers seat?

While I agree more lateral support would be great, I have developed sacroiliac joint arthritis since I got the car over a year ago. I use a wedge-shaped cushion that generally does the trick. What I'd really like is to be able to tilt the seat front farther down (lower). I hope the new seats will allow that. In the meanwhile, I am taking my baby in for the seat adjustment that's available. Maybe that will make the difference. I will find out on my 1200 mile round trip to Banff in a few weeks.

This is the new improved seat I developed in collaboration with the Amsterdam based company Ellermeyer.
This company is known for the manufacturing of the high-end Spyker interiors.

This new seat is a major improvement. More sportiness and a lot more comfort.
With the old seat I disliked my Tesla, now I love driving it.

Afbeelding 310.jpg

This is the new improved seat I developed in collaboration with the Amsterdam based company Ellermeyer.
This company is known for the manufacturing of the high-end Spyker interiors.

This new seat is a major improvement. More sportiness and a lot more comfort.
With the old seat I disliked my Tesla, now I love driving it.

View attachment 51268

Those look nice - did you just use a new foam pad and new leather?

Those look nice - did you just use a new foam pad and new leather?

We used the original Tesla foam cushion, made some cuts and applied new pieces of foam for remodelling.
The leather upholstery is completely new, although we had to use some parts of the original for connection of the leather to the seat frame.
It took us about 3 months of trial and error testing before we got to the right shape of the seat.

pictures: cutting the original seat

Afbeelding 314.jpg
Afbeelding 313.jpg

Is there any chance of better rear seats? I found them pretty thin and not very comfortable. That's really the main reason I didn't drop my X reservation and buy an S. We do a lot of trips with two couples and I didn't think the rear seats were acceptable for our friends.

If anything is to be done to the rear seats i'd suggest a fold out armrest with 2 cup holders, pretty much the obvious. Longest i've sat in the back seat was about 30 minutes and it was pretty comfortable to me, but not long enough to completely have a say. :redface:

I find the seats fine for daily driving in terms of comfort. If I'm driving for more than about an hour though I find I have to increase the lumbar support so my lower back doesn't ache. It's like clockwork...

However, the side bolstering is non-existant for spirited driving. I'd love to have better seats in that regard!

We just picked up our MC Red S85 from Van Nuys. I drove it the 13 miles home (in LA traffic..).

I'm not a fan of the seats so far (I didn't notice them on the test drive as much). I fiddled with the Lumbar support, that doesn't seem to go quite right for me...

I'll fiddle with it over the next few days, but it doesn't seem to have the range of motion that my dad's 1976 Cadillac had.... :)

I LOVE the car. Hope I can find a seat adjustment that works for me.