Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Between a Model Y and a Subaru Outback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly not, the lease is essentially money out the window, though. There sure won't be any equity in it now that the pandemic has caused the used car market to bottom out. I would be willing to get out of the lease and pay a penalty up to ~$1000 or so because every $360 per month I put towards the lease is money I'm never getting back. So, it would save me some months of payments and I can take that money and put it into the Y.

I guess the big question is whether you can get out of the lease with a relatively small (or no) penalty. It sounds like the answer is yes for the Outback, based on the offer you received from Subaru. I've never had a lease, so I have no idea what the fine print looks like, but I'd suspect (other than getting you into an Outback), they'd rather have the $360/mo through January 2022 that you've already committed vs. taking the car back with a one-time $1,000 penalty.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Hi all,

Long time lurker but first post here.

Long story short, I’m leasing a Subaru Forester. It was a necessary thing at the time, it replaced my Subaru Outback which was around 8 years old with nearly 100k miles. There were a lot of things that needed to get done at once (Big timing belt service, brakes, tires) so I chose to trade in, get a check for the value of the Outback, and put down $0 towards my lease on the Forester.

My lease ends January of 2022, which is a little over 19 months away. I could trade-in the lease and take a financial hit if the numbers were close but don’t want to do so now that the pandemic has caused the used car market to fall out. Values went from around $23k on Carvana down to around $20k over the last month.

My commute is pretty simple, I drive through my town for about 2 miles, get on a 55 mph highway for about 4 miles, and then drive through about 4 miles of city traffic, and then about another mile of city at the end. It’s about 10 miles each way. I have 1 or 2 alternate routes if the traffic is bad that is all highway, but ends up being closer to 20 miles each way. They’re also toll highways and I’m kind of cheap in that regard I guess, but $3 each way every day does add up.

In the summer I will do 3 or 4 trips Per week to work from shore areas (we relocate to be with family in the summer once the kids are out of school) ... these commutes are all highway and about 60 miles each way. No avoiding the tolls this way!

My work is in the planning stages for chargers. We don’t have them yet. I’m involved with the plans and I am trying to get them to put in 6-20 or 14-30 outlets rather than a ChargePoint. Out lot is private and not accessible to the public so we can’t be a destination partner for Tesla. I also need to figure out a way to Bill users as the employer will not provide free electricity.

Anyway I mention the above because that would be enough to help me not have to charge when I’m at the shore doing the 120 mile trip in the summer and not have to rely on Supercharging and not have to plug in at those shore houses. I’d also likely use regular household charging at home since I drive less than 30 miles a day including the 20 for work.

I’m comparing the Outback Limited XT or Touring XT specifically to the Model Y. I drove a Model 3 before the world shut down and I enjoyed it, but as a dad that is involved with my two kids’ sports (they’re both under 10) I have to have the cargo capacity to hold soccer and baseball gear.

I also foresee this becoming the family Trip car unless we can’t fit everything, or do a long vacation, which we would use my wife’s Honda Pilot.

Ideally the Model Y would eventually take the place of the Pilot and the Mrs. could get a smaller car in the future when we are comfortable with the Y. I am expecting to have to pursue the roof rack solution for that, which is fine for the couple times a year I’d need it. I could also consider the trailer hitch for bike rack purposes as well.

Anyway at quick glance it looks like the sticker plus State tax ends up pushing the Outback Touring XT up near $43-44k. In NJ we have a new benefit this year with up to $5000 off an EV depending on range, so the $53000 sticker with destination on the Model Y would become $48000. There’s also no state tax on an EV sale here.

It looks like with gas being around $2.50 per gallon I would save around $1000 per year with the Y after electricity costs are factored in. I pay $0.17 per kWh including supply and delivery, and we don’t have time of use. I also factored an 80% charging efficiency rating with 120V compared to 90% with 240V.

I am considering 240 V, but this requires major electrical panel upgrades as it is maxed and has been combined and tandem’ed already. I know of the federal rebate related to EVSE charging stuff, but it’s unlikely I would do this by year end when it expires. Perhaps it will get extended again, and then I will pursue a 14-30 or 14-50 solution (maybe even the HWC)...

I’ve read a few posts here comparing Eyesight from Subaru and AP. I don’t like the slowing down for lights and stop signs and don’t like the phantom braking thing. I have no interest in FSD as I enjoy driving, but I will admit I do use adaptive cruise in traffic to help take stress out of rush hour commutes. To that, my Subaru has performed excellent.

My pet peeve about the Subaru system is that I have lane keep and not lane centering. This means I ping pong off the boundary of the lane rather than actively stay centered. The 2020 Subaru now have Lane Centering. Also, the car is very cautious to accelerate when the traffic ahead turns off into a parking lot, like a hard 90 degree right turn. It’s not as natural as me where I project them to be moved and modify my speed as such. This results in horn honks behind me and people cutting in from the middle lane ahead of me.

I’m just hoping to buy a car that I can trust will make it at least 10 years but depreciation isn’t important as this next purchase will likely be driven until the wheels drop off.

My biggest concerns are the range in summer with those commutes. I live in NJ and we get snowy winters, so I believe i would be best suited for the AWD LR that is out currently.

I would consider a SR AWD if such a thing was released as long as I had that work charging solution in place.

Things like the new Mini electric are interesting but the short 120ish mile range cross it off the list. Which is a shame, because I could buy that for around $16k after federal and state rebates.

I’d need to time this right if I wasn’t trading in to Tesla, as I’d just have to hold the lease until it ended and turn it back in at a loss of $360 per month if I was early. Subaru is already sending me advertisements to get into the new Outback with no lease end penalty.

Things I am going to miss on the Y are potentially the heated steering wheel and auto dimming side mirrors. I’m sure I will get used to no CarPlay as I drive more and more. I am concerned about no spare tire in the event of a failure, and I might have to get a Modern Spare kit.

Things that concern me about long term ownership of the Subaru is the direct injection engine which seems like all brands have carbon buildup over time and the transmission is a CVT which is hard and expensive to repair when things start to fail.

I’ve already checked PlugShare and ABRP and I have lots of Supercharger options near me and off the highways. Everything seems doable.

what are your thoughts?
This reminds me the debate between getting a Blackberry versus getting an iPhone.

I am considering 240 V, but this requires major electrical panel upgrades as it is maxed and has been combined and tandem’ed already.
I know of the federal rebate related to EVSE charging stuff, but it’s unlikely I would do this by year end when it expires.
Perhaps it will get extended again, and then I will pursue a 14-30 or 14-50 solution (maybe even the HWC)...
I have a 130 miles daily commute and I use my Gen 2 Mobile connector and a NEMA 14-30 adapter.

Do you have a dryer in your garage? If so, you could put a manual switch, or a dryer buddy, this would be a simple solution.

Anyway, you seem to have plenty of time for finding a solution. Charging at home is a must and really worthwhile.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Pilot1226
On one hand, the model Y is like 10 years ahead of other vehicles on the road.... but it can’t compete with the Subaru’s superiority at LPGA and WNBA sporting events, road handling in Vermont, and superior storage for Birkenstocks beneath the seats.... not to mention sound system of the outback is far superior at playing Indigo Girls soundtracks.

ok so this funny -- I'm gonna follow u on twitter now.

The Model Y could very well be the last car I ever purchase. The only time retail might come into play is in the event of an accident since they could total the car if the damage exceeds the assessed value.

The bumper to bumper warranty is a little misleading. My old 2011 Outback had a torque converter fail at 90k miles. Apparently the CVT's are giving Subaru problems, and they've extended all the CVT warranties to 10y/100k miles. Coming up on the 100k mark was part of the reason I decided to trade in as well as I've heard they are nearly $9000 to replace with a new part from Subaru - they can't fix the belt/pulleys, only replace them.
They extended the warranty on older model CVTs when they recognized a problem with some units. The vast majority of people do not have an issue. That said, I'd also be a little apprehensive about the inability to fix the internals on a CVT (usually requires a complete replacement as you mentioned) and would probably go with a extended drivetrain warranty from Subaru on a new one - might be about $1k-ish if you shop around. Tesla's are not immune to issues either. There have been motor failures on the 3 requiring replacement - doesn't seem very common but you see posts about it say once every couple of months here (for the 3) and it even happened to major car magazine who was long-term testing one (Car and Driver). If you are planning on keeping the Y "forever", keep in mind that EV batteries do not last forever - you might get quite a number of miles out of them but eventually they will get to the point where they need to be replaced. That shouldn't sway someone from buying one, but they should at least be aware of it.

The Forester Cargo room is actually "more" than the Outback, but it's more vertical space. I actually fit something in my new Forester that I couldn't fit in my Outback because of the height of the object. So, I guess it's depending on what you haul.
Yes, however the space in the Outback is much more usable, especially if you have back seat passengers. Forester is noticeably taller so while it does have 0.4 sq. ft more cargo volume with seats folded, most of it unusable 99.9% of the time (unless you go around stacking stuff to the ceiling a lot). The Y has about 8 sq. ft less cargo space than the Forester/Outback which is not insignificant.

Model Y heat pump seems to fix a lot of the resistance heating range loss from the other models.
While heating can impact range in the winter for sure, it is not remotely the biggest factor - it is how the cold impacts battery chemistry. You can run no heat at all and your range can still be severely reduced. The colder it gets, the worse it gets. On top of that, your regen will be extremely limited in the cold (or not active at all) - pretty much the entire winter my 3 always had regen limited.

• Informative
Buy the Mini SE and sell one of your existing gas cars. Get used to EV driving for a few years. Once you are ready to drive an EV for all trips, sell the other gas car and buy a long range EV (Tesla).

This is what we did in 2013 (!!) You are only 7 years behind us.

Bought a small short range EV for my commute, then my wife started driving the EV for all her local trips, and the gas car sat in the driveway. Two years later bought a Tesla and went full EV.

the Legacy was excellent in my ~8 snowy winters up here in that car, in all-seasons. I haven't run a dedicated snow tire but I am considering putting an all weather tire

Bluntly, anyone who buys an AWD or 4WD vehicle for "safety" and omits using winter tires and finds all season tires OK does NOT need to worry about the supposed handling, road holding or other winter driving elements.

Any Tesla RWD or AWD with pure winter tires will run rings around anything (any car) on all seasons.

All seasons are laughably bad in winter conditions in comparison to pure winter tires, and anyone here posting detailed driving considerations of Subaru vs Tesla is missing the fundamental point, the OP has no need for anything like the superior road handling, he just needs to put winter tires on whatever he ends up buying, and be far safer than his current situation.

Y would you ask this on a Tesla forum?

sorry just had to say it.

more seriously, your analysis seemed fairly complete from a practicality and financial perspective but what about leaving your kids a healthier planet?

environmental considerations aside I bet if you got the Y you’d only wonder Y you didn’t go electric sooner.

Another Subaru (Forester) owner here who trade-in for Y.

I have to say the cargo space on Y is huge! I rarely off-road other than driving to camp side. But Y is sufficient.

I will take Y any other day.

Cool. The benefit here is that my wife's car is a Honda Pilot, so we have our big family cargo car if the situation needs it. But something tells me over time I would make the Model Y work with a roof rack and tralier hitch for cargo situations.

I guess the big question is whether you can get out of the lease with a relatively small (or no) penalty. It sounds like the answer is yes for the Outback, based on the offer you received from Subaru. I've never had a lease, so I have no idea what the fine print looks like, but I'd suspect (other than getting you into an Outback), they'd rather have the $360/mo through January 2022 that you've already committed vs. taking the car back with a one-time $1,000 penalty.

Right, the lease can be ended with no penalty at 30 months if you're leasing another Subaru - it's their thing to get you to stay leasing the Subaru brand. They also make your first new lease payment as well as a couple other perks, like removing the disposition fee and an increased wear-and-tear deduction amount for scratches and dings.

I have a 130 miles daily commute and I use my Gen 2 Mobile connector and a NEMA 14-30 adapter.

Do you have a dryer in your garage? If so, you could put a manual switch, or a dryer buddy, this would be a simple solution.

Anyway, you seem to have plenty of time for finding a solution. Charging at home is a must and really worthwhile.

Unfortunately, I don't. My dryer is a gas dryer, not electric, so it's just a regular 5-15 wall outlet. If the wall outlet isn't enough for me, I don't have a problem with the ~1200-1500 job to install a new panel and run a 6-20 or 14-30 line to the garage, but I don't want to spend the money just because. I'll fix a potential problem if it becomes an actual problem.

They extended the warranty on older model CVTs when they recognized a problem with some units. The vast majority of people do not have an issue. That said, I'd also be a little apprehensive about the inability to fix the internals on a CVT (usually requires a complete replacement as you mentioned) and would probably go with a extended drivetrain warranty from Subaru on a new one - might be about $1k-ish if you shop around. Tesla's are not immune to issues either. There have been motor failures on the 3 requiring replacement - doesn't seem very common but you see posts about it say once every couple of months here (for the 3) and it even happened to major car magazine who was long-term testing one (Car and Driver). If you are planning on keeping the Y "forever", keep in mind that EV batteries do not last forever - you might get quite a number of miles out of them but eventually they will get to the point where they need to be replaced. That shouldn't sway someone from buying one, but they should at least be aware of it.

Yes, however the space in the Outback is much more usable, especially if you have back seat passengers. Forester is noticeably taller so while it does have 0.4 sq. ft more cargo volume with seats folded, most of it unusable 99.9% of the time (unless you go around stacking stuff to the ceiling a lot). The Y has about 8 sq. ft less cargo space than the Forester/Outback which is not insignificant.

While heating can impact range in the winter for sure, it is not remotely the biggest factor - it is how the cold impacts battery chemistry. You can run no heat at all and your range can still be severely reduced. The colder it gets, the worse it gets. On top of that, your regen will be extremely limited in the cold (or not active at all) - pretty much the entire winter my 3 always had regen limited.

It sounds like the Tesla batteries are intended to last around 250,000 to 300,000 miles if taken care of. That's fine. That's 3 times longer than I've owned any of my previous cars before. Come to think of it, I've never owned any car for more than 100,000 miles. That would be a nice and special milestone to hit with an EV.

Regarding the CVT, as someone that used to read the Subaru TechTIPS newsletter and be involved with the programs, it sounded like they wanted all failed CVT's shipped back to Japan to get inspected by engineers. This way they could tell what happened and try to figure out why. Basically, when they were new - and they started with the TR690 back in the 2010 Outback redesign - they didn't fix anything. Then, they learned that they could replace the torque converter, or the valve body, or the solenoids. As of today, they can't nor won't fix anything that's related to the chain or the pulley system itself. Personally, I would be more comfortable with an actual value for a CVT fluid change interval. Per the manual and dealers, you only change it if you're towing. Interestingly enough, Subaru Canada requires a 60k mile interval (which is about 100k kilometers). I don't like the idea that anything is a "lifetime" fluid and it's hard to get them to change it even if you're willing to pay out the nose for them to do it. They quoted me $450 to change it in my 2011 Outback but only after I told them I had been towing (I hadn't.)

Unfortunately, the extended warranty is no help because they generally go to 8 years or 120k miles. The amount that I drive I would easily hit the 8 years before the mileage mark, so it would be no use to me.

As far as I know, Subaru expanded this CVT warranty enhancement to the future 2017 & older TR690's from the Outback and the TR580's in everything else. They seem to add another year every year to the warranty as the current models start to age or mileage out of the manufacturer one. I have family members with a 2016, 2017, and 2018 Outback. They all have their notice except the 2018. One of my neighbors has a 2016 Forester and asked me about it, and two of my co-workers have Crosstreks and have also received it.

It's great that you're taking care of your customers, but 100k miles goes quick, and that repair bill gets above $8000 for the new CVT replacement if it fails. Doubtful the car is worth that much at that point, especially with all the oil seepage and head gasket issues - though it seems the gaskets are better now that they are using the FB and FA series engines.

Buy the Mini SE and sell one of your existing gas cars. Get used to EV driving for a few years. Once you are ready to drive an EV for all trips, sell the other gas car and buy a long range EV (Tesla).

This is what we did in 2013 (!!) You are only 7 years behind us.

Bought a small short range EV for my commute, then my wife started driving the EV for all her local trips, and the gas car sat in the driveway. Two years later bought a Tesla and went full EV.

I saw the Mini! It's cool in theory as a commuter car, but with the ~110 to 120 mile range, it's not enough for the summer commute I mentioned. My wife and I will drive separately to the shore areas so she can have a car while I'm at work and I can go to work from the shore. It would be a better candidate if it was closer to the 200 mile range mark. The price point of this is in the high teens after all the incentives - we're looking at a great price but not a functional car. Kind of like the original Nissan Leaf - they only went like 80 miles but you could get them for the low teens thanks to rebates and such.

Bluntly, anyone who buys an AWD or 4WD vehicle for "safety" and omits using winter tires and finds all season tires OK does NOT need to worry about the supposed handling, road holding or other winter driving elements.

Any Tesla RWD or AWD with pure winter tires will run rings around anything (any car) on all seasons.

All seasons are laughably bad in winter conditions in comparison to pure winter tires, and anyone here posting detailed driving considerations of Subaru vs Tesla is missing the fundamental point, the OP has no need for anything like the superior road handling, he just needs to put winter tires on whatever he ends up buying, and be far safer than his current situation.

I don't disagree with you that winter tires are better. You're totally correct. I'm saying from my experience I've never had an issue running all seasons, and while it may not be the safest option, I can only speak to what I know from my own experience. The all-weather tires are a step up from all seasons, and the dedicated winter tire is a step up from that. The benefit to the all winters is that you can run them year round and not worry about the tire melting in the warmer months.

You're also correct that I don't need a car that can bring me super high performance or driving. I'm never going to track it or offroad it. I drive in snow during the winter months but because I'm suburban and close to a major city, they plow everything quickly. There are certainly a lot of FWD cars around and they manage as well.

more seriously, your analysis seemed fairly complete from a practicality and financial perspective but what about leaving your kids a healthier planet?

environmental considerations aside I bet if you got the Y you’d only wonder Y you didn’t go electric sooner.

Yeah, this is definitely part of it. Basically if I didn't save any money long term with an EV it still wouldn't be a waste to me. I like the technology and how the car gets smarter as time goes on with the neural net, as well as the updates that change everything.

A great example is my wife's 2016 Honda Pilot. It has no CarPlay. CarPlay was introduced in 2017 which is the same "generation" of Honda Pilot but I can't add it.... unless I buy a 2017 or newer Honda Pilot. Nope.

For the Y:
  • Bumper to bumper Y warranty is 4 year / 50k with Motors / batteries at 8-years / 100k on the Y (non-performance). Subaru's bumper to bumper is 3 year / 36k with 5 year / 60k drivetrain.
Vehicle Warranty

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model 3 and Model Y Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

20,000 miles off.

Kind of like saying you need to choose between buying a horse and buying a cow.
You like getting milk, but need to take long trips often, where a horse would be better.

You have so many data points that you seem to want everything.

From what you post, a Model Y would work out very well for you. After you have it for a while you will sort out all the charging things.

Besides...Subaru spelled backwards is U-R-A-Bus :)

Subaru's mostly drive very boring. A Tesla can rock your World!
My wife currently has an Infiniti G37x and wants a Subaru Ascent for more space to haul stuff. I suggested the Y and she wants bigger, so I suggested the Cybertruck. As far as I know all Subaru models are now direct fuel injection which means after 60,000 miles or so you should probably have the valves walnut blasted. But the U-R-A-Bus is an even bigger problem. I will never buy another DFI ICE ever. I would rather not buy ICE period. Wives...

@Pilot1226 Just to add two more cents, I had an '07 Legacy wagon, a '15 Outback, a '16 Outback (briefly) and my wife had a '16 Outback. My mom has a '14 Forester. My S is better than any of them in the snow with the same tires I used to run on those. I would prefer a little less traction control on the Tesla sometimes, to be honest. I can fit more in the back of my S than we could in the Outbacks or even the Legacy. I haven't done much looking at the Y yet but it will probably be my replacement for my S in a couple more years. Personally I would finish the lease on your Forester and then do your comparison, no need to spend more than you have to just to get out of your lease early, and the quality on a later build will be better than on what they're building currently.

An EV Outback would be my ideal car but since Subaru is glacially slow getting on the EV train, I've pretty much given up on them. For all of Tesla's foibles and quirks, and there are many, they've been leading the EV charge so I'll stick with them until they give me reason not to. Best of luck with your decision-making.

I owned a '98 Outback (automatic tranny, different AWD system from the manual gearbox). Drove it until 2012 and put 375,000 km (233,000 miles) on it. Loved that car. I realize the Outback has changed since 1998 but I'm familiar with the basic car. I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD.

I live in Central Alberta and visit family in Northern Alberta and go skiing in the Rockies all the time in winter, so I know winter driving. My winter tires are still on, the snow in our backyard only finished melting a couple of days ago. If you can go through a winter on all-seasons, then you don't know winter driving. The Outback was an amazing winter car. The Model 3 LR RWD is a much better winter car than the Outback in every way imaginable other than ground clearance -- which is only rarely an issue. I can only imagine how amazing the AWD version of the Model 3/Y would be.

How could a RWD Tesla be a better winter vehicle than the Outback?
  • No waiting for the engine to warm up.
  • Never a problem starting the car, no matter how cold. Has been sitting outside for a week in -40 degrees? No problem.
  • Cabin warms up incredibly fast (can't speak to the heat pump in the Model Y relative to the resistive heater in my Model 3).
  • Can warm the car in the garage and with the garage door shut.
  • Can start warming the car anywhere in the world with the phone app (better yet, via Siri on my Apple watch) - many times I've used my phone while taxiing up to the airport terminal in the plane to start warming my car. Mostly though I just use it from my desk 10 minutes before leaving work.
  • Can leave the car "idling" in no idling zones and come back to a warm car after finishing my errands.
  • Traction control is way better due to the instantaneous acceleration/deceleration that an electric drivetrain provides.
  • "Fill-up" the car in my garage at home - no standing around in a cold wind, waiting for the tank to fill at a smelly gas station.
As your longer commute is only in the summer, then I don't see any really compelling reason to go for the longer range version in your case as presented. A Supercharger stop or two on a long road trip done once every few months is nothing to get too excited about. The Supercharger density is quite high in New Jersey and surrounding states so finding one should not be a problem like it can be in Northern BC/Alberta/Saskatchewan where I drive. If you spend enough time on these forums, you'll soon realize that range anxiety tends to be something that only people who don't drive a Tesla (like yourself) worry about.

As for home charging, I don't know if you've come across this handy table from the Tesla charging adapter page. It shows the significant advantage of 240V charging. The 5-20 is a 120V/20A service, the rest are 240V. You don't necessarily need to upgrade the service to the house to realize significantly better charging rates. Just run a 240V/20A service to where you park (shouldn't require a service upgrade unless you're already really close to the limit on your current service) and you'll get 14 miles of charge per hour charging. If it's on the charger for 10 hours each night you'll have 140 miles of range restored by morning. If the 240V service is cost prohibitive, then maybe consider upgrading from 120V/15A to 120V/20A (if you don't already have 120V/20A service where you park) which would provide 33% faster charging yielding 40 miles in 10 hours rather than 30 miles in 10 hours of charging.

charging speeds.jpg

There's no way I'd go back to any ICE vehicle again for winter driving. I once had to venture out this past winter in our Highlander (still keep it for towing until our Cybertruck arrives) in -26C (-15F) with strong winds. It was dreadful. It took half an hour of driving to warm up the cabin. I had to stand outside in a biting wind to fill the tank. The cover for filling the gas froze shut so I had to mess around with that awhile. My gloves reeked of gas when I got back into the vehicle. Then after I loaded up the back with everything I bought, I had to wait another half hour to have a comfortably warm vehicle again. Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to that torture?

I'm in the same boat as you as far as choices go. Only difference is I drive anywhere from 100 to 200 miles a day and am a little concerned with winter range. Between my wife and I we have owned 5 Subarus in the last 9 years. I absolutely despise the CVT transmission. 1 '13 Impreza, CVT went at 85,000. Replace with junkyard transmission and have since sold. 1 '16 Legacy and had the CVT valve pack replaced at 99,900 miles just under warranty. 3 Outbacks '12 '13 and '16. The '12 was totaled at 60,000 miles so doesn't count towards CVT problems. The '13 had to have the CVT replaced at 95,000 miles, $8000 out of pocket, which they cut a check for after increasing warranties to 100,000. '16 is doing ok so far at 150,000 but have the CVT flushed every 40,000 miles.
If you know someone with a CVT my recommendation would be to have it flushed every 40,000 to 50,000 miles, especially if you do lots of long commutes. Last time I went to the dealer and told the service guy I wanted it done he started to ask why and that it didn't need to be done, when the guy next to him who I have dealt with before told him to not ask me and just do it. He has seen me enough times for CVT's to know better than to ask or argue.
Ordered the Y.
Will be putting in a 14-50 plug on 40 amp circuit
Still a little concerned with the winter range but just north of NYC and Supercharger network is pretty good.
Should be fine in the summer.
Just hoping to not need to use them too much in the winter.

Subaru's are slugs for sloggers.
They don't handle well (except for rally models), ride well, get good fuel economy, poor transmissions (also boring) and totally lack style or pizzaz. They make some economic sense unless you calculate in their poor reliability and expensive maintenance. Really low down on the technology compared to competitors. Stereos are poor, interiors dated, seats uncomfortable, ride is uncomfortable and transmissions suck.

Think of them as kind of Toyata Corrola with additional ground clearance.

Sell mostly on an outdoorsy image for trecking in the boondocks, but they are rarely used for that. The comprimises made to enable the mild off road capability ruins it for most other applications.

Their antique boxer engines sound terrible, provide poor power and even worse fuel economy. (said this twice for emphasis).

Like Range Rovers, the only way to get out of a Subaru is to trade it into another Subaru. That is their way of keeping owners going from one Subaru to another. They will often offer above market trade in values or lease modifications to keep you captive.

In San Francisco you will find them all grouped together in the Whole Foods parking lot.

Winter ranger really takes a hit when you drive somewhere, let the battery and car get cold, drive somewhere else, let the battery get cold again and repeat multiple times. While the range takes a huge hit getting repeatedly cold soaked, those are not typically days where you’re also putting on a lot of miles.

If you’re heading out on a long road trip with a pre-warmed battery, the range loss is considerably less. I regularly drive 150 miles to our first Supercharger stop with 4 occupants, a full trunk and frunk, a roof box fully loaded with skis and gear at 75 to 80 mph and arrive with 20-25% left on the battery on the first leg heading to the mountains in winter. Only once did I decide to grab a charger halfway there to be safe because of a blizzard. Headwinds and deep snow we’re eating into my range, even though I was driving considerably slower.

Right, the lease can be ended with no penalty at 30 months if you're leasing another Subaru - it's their thing to get you to stay leasing the Subaru brand. They also make your first new lease payment as well as a couple other perks, like removing the disposition fee and an increased wear-and-tear deduction amount for scratches and dings.

Then isn’t this debate rather moot for another year or so? The Model Y can be deemed superior, or vice versa, but it really doesn’t matter for you in the near term unless you are willing to break your lease (or replace your other car).

Reactions: LoL Rick