Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware, don't cook your dog (or kids)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
When the Model X is either parked or driving, the rear air conditioning (which is third row seat vents and second door door vents) does not turn on unless there is someone sitting in one of the second row seats.

Since I routinely carry my dog in the hatchback area with the third row seats flipped down, this came as quite the rude shock when I accidentally discovered this today. No wonder my dog doesn't want to ride there, she was being cooked with only the little amount of air coming from the front vents not even reaching her.

I've just asked Tesla if there is some way to force the rear HVAC to stay on.

I'm quite pissed off about this, this is a real safety hazard in hot sunny climates.

Regardless, it is very unexpected and undocumented behaviour. Tesla replied to my email saying that the Model X does not have second row seat occupancy sensors! I triple checked right now, the AC blows in the rear when parked and you are sitting in the second row, but the moment you lift your butt off the second row, the rear AC turns off. So either I have a unique build that Tesla doesn't know about, or their service people need a better service manual.

Can other Model X owners try this to see if their rear AC turns on or not depending if someone is sitting in the rear? The easy check is from the driver seat, just feel behind you for the second row door vent (not the center console vent) while AC is blowing hard (set it all automatic and set temp to 64 or LO or something). That rear vent should blow hard if it is on.

If not, and this is a bizarre workaround, you can strap something heavy into one of the second row seats. I know some MS owners used to do that to keep the air running for the passenger a while back. Anything that's enough to make the sensor think it's occupied. But yeah.. that's until it's fixed with software.

Last edited:
Odd... someone please validate. On the Tesla forum, the same issue. However, in that forum the car was PARKED. Driving was not an issue mention there. May also want to check whether X is in range mode, which I understand limits the air handling.

That was me on the Tesla forum, so same report. The same issue occurs whether the car is parked or in drive.

I found a work around. From the main screen, press the rear HVAC button and at the top of that sub panel that pops up turn off and then on the rear HVAC. That gets the rear HVAC working.

FWIW I am on 7.1 (2.13.120). Apparently there is newer firmware available, maybe this issue will get fixed in that release.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Need and ohmman
My issue is that if I park the car and run into the store while my wife and children are in the car, they're going to cook if it's a hot day because there's no easy way to leave the car running with the A/C on once I've left with the key. Supposedly the Tesla app will allow one to turn on the A/C for a short amount of time after leaving the car (hopefully long enough to keep everyone cool if I get stuck in a slow check-out line!), but that's an unnecessary step in what should be a simple solution. Occam's razor, right?!

My issue is that if I park the car and run into the store while my wife and children are in the car, they're going to cook if it's a hot day because there's no easy way to leave the car running with the A/C on once I've left with the key. Supposedly the Tesla app will allow one to turn on the A/C for a short amount of time after leaving the car (hopefully long enough to keep everyone cool if I get stuck in a slow check-out line!), but that's an unnecessary step in what should be a simple solution. Occam's razor, right?!
On the S, the "tricks" are to either have the passenger tap the screens within the first 10 seconds of the door closing, using the app, putting it in neutral and using the emergency brake to hold he vehicle position, or simply hit the brake after getting out of the seat but before closing the door. Try these on the X. Hopefully they work for you.

On the S, the "tricks" are to either have the passenger tap the screens within the first 10 seconds of the door closing, using the app, putting it in neutral and using the emergency brake to hold he vehicle position, or simply hit the brake after getting out of the seat but before closing the door. Try these on the X. Hopefully they work for you.

Another that keeps the radio on, and keeps the heat running (not sure about AC as I have only done this in winter, after pulling car out of garage when I run into the house to get my daughter), is to partially shut the driver's door so that the latch is caught but the door edge sticks out about a centimeter or less.

But with automatic front doors on the X, that might not work...

Getting back to the original topic, I'm glad to see there is an option to force the rear AC on.