Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To expand on this, it always amazes me that normal ICE shops don't wanna touch Tesla suspension... Its not any different n replacing components is the same.
Of course if there are issues like leveling etc that needs Toolbox i get it but swapping worn out arms/axles/air springs is the same mechanics.
Also, new parts are expensive even on ICE luxury cars with same suspension but ppl always overlook used options. eBay is full of used Tesla parts. I put in used air spring n it works just fine, no leaks or issues. if it fails again, i'll swap it again. But i paid 1/3 the price of new... ($400)

I want one of those futuristic cars too ;)
No shop will replace with used parts. I tried that when my Model S front sway bar joint cracked, and two of the links on both driver and passenger side developed cracks in their seals.
I had to buy the components new from Tesla which took almost 5 months.
Then the repair shop quoted me a price that was equal to Tesla’s.
So I went with Tesla service instead.

No shop will replace with used parts. I tried that when my Model S front sway bar joint cracked, and two of the links on both driver and passenger side developed cracks in their seals.
Maybe authorized shops... but Indy ones should have no issues.
They won't buy used parts for u but if u bring ur own they'll swap it.
Obviously u only get labor warranty or no warranty at all...

If properly designed and built they will be far cheaper to maintain though. Most repairs on my ICE vehicles had nothing to do with suspension and everything to do with ICE related items which simply don't exist in an EV.

Looks like you missed my point entirely, so I'll reiterate: One thing in common between ICE and BEV is suspensions. So for someone to think that a BEV is somehow maintenance-free is just incorrect. The same issues will occur on both when it comes to suspension components (and steering components, for that matter).

Maybe authorized shops... but Indy ones should have no issues.
They won't buy used parts for u but if u bring ur own they'll swap it.
Obviously u only get labor warranty or no warranty at all...
I went to 5 shops. 4 said they won’t touch Teslas. Fifth said they would, but only if I used new parts.

See, they don’t want you be liable if used parts break or something. Or they don’t fit properly, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I went to 5 shops. 4 said they won’t touch Teslas. Fifth said they would, but only if I used new parts.

See, they don’t want you be liable if used parts break or something. Or they don’t fit properly, etc.
Unfortunate but exactly my point, everyone is afraid of touching Teslas... but a lot of systems on it are the same as ICE.
If u ever in my area i'll swap it for u :)

Looks like you missed my point entirely, so I'll reiterate: One thing in common between ICE and BEV is suspensions. So for someone to think that a BEV is somehow maintenance-free is just incorrect. The same issues will occur on both when it comes to suspension components (and steering components, for that matter).
Looks as if you missed my point entirely as well since I never suggested a BEV would be maintenance free.

Good with cars thanks to my Dad who's been a mechanic all his life.
Its just a hobby for me, i always work on my own cars but i do have an engineering job.
My family runs a semi-shop and they give me space to work on whatever i want :)
Man, I guess I am a little jealous. I’ve always wanted my own lift. They are like 2500-8000$, I don’t think I’ll be allowed to buy it. You have access to pretty much whatever you want!

Reactions: brainhouston
No surprise here. Elon/Tesla are always the smartest people in the room. They way they do it has to be the best and the way everyone else has done it has to be wrong. Because Elon is a micromanager from hell, no one actually competent will work for him (see also: revolving door of senior leadership). So Tesla reinvents the wheel over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, reinventing the wheel in areas like the drivetrain, are absolutely outstanding. This outside the box thinking has produced some amazing advancements. But it would be better if Tesla would hire and retain a few graybeards to help them with the things that are common across all vehicles and vehicle manufacturers. Stuff like suspension, glass, logistics and parts supply, etc. If they were able to take the best of the current industry and combine it w/ their advancements in places the current industry falls short, they would be unstoppable.

Of course, it's easy for me to say that sitting behind my keyboard. In practice it is much harder to know what parts of the current industry are the best and what can be improved without first trying new things.

It's no secret that the S/X suspension puts strain on the front half-shafts and chews them up. Running in the lowest suspension setting helps. Supposedly the Refresh model has an all-new suspension that hopefully addresses the issue. Though some people are reporting vibration under acceleration which I believe is what destroys the half shafts.

All that being said, I would be nervous owning a Tesla outside of the warranty period. My wife and I have decisions to make as hers is up in December, 2022. She hates the yoke so doesn't want a new S.
I agree with so much of what you have said. My 22 Model S LR, to me, is the most controversial car I have ever had. Meaning, for some things I really hate it, for others, I love it.

And yes, all this has to come from Elon. I used to admire him, but the more I follow him, the more he comes across as a totalitarian snake oil salesman. His "my way or the highway" attitude is obvious. If he can put a ship into space, then he could match the quality and reliability of say Toyota, but the very least of some German manufacturers. Which aren't even that great when it comes to quality. I had all of them. But he does not give a flying F because we are all lining up (me included... getting our seconds Tesla soon) for more. My wife cannot wait for her X to arrive. I love driving the S, except when I have to honk, or park, or use the wipers, or decide if I want heating or cooling because you cannot get 73 F with this AC, or if it is raining and the wiper does nothing, or when it is not raining and it keeps wiping, or when I cannot use the FSD because I cannot get 98, or that it took them 25 days to fix it last time, or that the rear camera is not aligned and is of poor quality, that it has no surround view, or power frunk, or decent headlights... and on and on and on...

Every day I love it, and I hate it. Insane. The crazy thing is, at the moment, I would buy this car again. There still is nothing out there that I think is a better EV for a 4 door sedan. The Taycan has less range and is slower, and I don't really like the look. The eTron GT looks great, I wish it had just a bit more rang. I have my fingers crossed for the A6 eTron. It looks promising. MB's EQ line is ugly. BMW went to crap 2-3 years ago. VW Group seams to be the one closest to Tesla.

I wonder how managing their image is going without a PR department. *Travolta confused dot meme* They have cut the customer feedback loop and it's now a one-way street, or maybe peeing up a rope is a better analogy, as in, owners are invited to hand write a post-it with their feedback and stick it on the rope, and then pee up it, beacuse "we're growing really fast right now and that's our focus, to piss off as many people as possible as quickly as possible!" It's certainly A strategy. They have proven agile when they need to be, so maybe they'll pivot fast and all of this 2022-ness will fade away.

By all accounts iX is really good, and just a different kind of weird than Model X, R1S is looking like it isn't vaporware, and I wouldn't mind consolidating X and my Tundra into one electric truck which is now a real option with the Ford. The EQS SUV takes all the suppositoryness of the EQS and spreads it out over a bigger body and doesn't look near as bad, and their drive and pack is very good too. Tesla has everyone beat on outright performance but, I don't care about tenths of a second in my family hauler, and I don't care if my family hauler is 20% less efficient if I can still do decent highway round-trips without or with minimal charging stops.

Hopefully Tesla is feeling the pinch of all these options and competition will breed excellence. I certainly don't want them to fold, but I'm not a buyer right now, though if my BMW went up in flames tomorrow I'd order a Model 3 Performance as soon as the insurance check arrived, because EV fun-car things

Last edited:
I love driving the S, except when I have to honk, or park, or use the wipers, or decide if I want heating or cooling because you cannot get 73 F with this AC, or if it is raining and the wiper does nothing, or when it is not raining and it keeps wiping, or when I cannot use the FSD because I cannot get 98, or that it took them 25 days to fix it last time, or that the rear camera is not aligned and is of poor quality, that it has no surround view, or power frunk, or decent headlights... and on and on and on...
Sounds like first world problems 😂

It is frustrating to drive an expensive car with lots of issues/quirks but i think of it as a trade off of having so much tech in car.
I service State of the Art $50mil equipment n guess what, it breaks all the time, just the way of life...

Only way to show Elon is to NOT buy his cars but ppl are lining up to get one so nothing will change...

You get a lot of horror stories as well as some nothing ever goes wrong stories here. I've had most of the "trendy" issues with my cars, but nothing serious. On the 2014 S, I've had a couple door handle failures, drive motor replaced once (no failure, but it was getting noisy, and Tesla decided to replace it), screen bubbles, screen yellowing, 12v battery replacement, and occasional issues with the pano roof not operating perfectly (most often, needing a slight helping push to open from fully closed). The 2020 3 seems to be better quality so far overall, not surprisingly, with only two issues so far; a minor nav/GPS issue, and smelly A/C, which I expect to be a neverending maintenance issue where I have to clean it out once or twice a year. I would guess this represents a more typical experience for a Tesla owner.

Yes

My advice remains the same on Teslas ( in general) and Model X (with great emphasis):

If you've been an enthusiastic owner of precious, finicky european cars your whole life and are comfortable with the very real and present possibility that they could betray you at a moment's notice no matter how new, now expensive, or how awesome they seem, then by all means go buy a Model X and be ready for that kind of nonsense. If you keep your expectations low you'll be pleasantly surprised, as I have mostly been over 27,000+ miles in less than two years. I ordered a Model X Long Range Plus after test-driving one and that lower oddments tray below the screen *LITERALLY FELL OFF DURING THE TEST DRIVE*. Somebody had probably broken it before I got there and put it back in place, but, fact remains, it was busted already with 1000 demo miles on it. I knew what I was getting into. 90's Ford build quality with 2030 Ford drive technology, available in 2020. So I'm still happy overall, even if I'm never going to buy another one at the rate the company is going.

BUT:

If you are the kind to buy it expecting it to be a step up in coachbuild quality from those european cars that cost the same, I have a bridge for sale in new york we should talk about

If you are the kind to buy it expecting it to be a step up from your typical indestructable Japanese mall-crawler like the Lexus GX in overall quality or reliability just cuz electric car, I have a bulk deal on bridges to offer you

If you are the kind to buy it sight-unseen, enjoy your new bridge.

SO:

If none of that sounds like you, maybe get a Model Y instead, or don't get a Tesla
All anecdotes

Let’s look at some data

Car manufacturers ranked top to bottom

Here is the 2022 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Report rankings of major automotive brands:

1. Lexus

2. Mazda

3. Toyota

4. Infiniti

5. Buick

6. Honda

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Nissan

10. Mini

11. Hyundai

12. Chrysler

13. Porsche

14. Chevrolet

15. Audi

16. Cadillac

17. BMW

18. Ford

19. Kia

20. Volvo

21. Ram

22. GMC

23. Mercedes-Benz

24. Volkswagen (31)

25. Genesis (30)

26. Jeep (26)

27. Tesla (25)

28. Lincoln (18)

So if Chevrolet is right in the middle at number 14 15-28 are all below average.

That includes your coveted German manufactures as well as the American Mainstays like GMC and Ford. If you go by Fords Luxury brand Lincoln they are dead last.

Source Consumer Reports: Lexus has most reliable car of 2022, Tesla has 'problems'

And Tesla is near the bottom. Why ? As the largest EV maker, Tesla is particularly prone to reliability issues. The Tesla Model Y, the company’s most popular model, is one of the 10 least reliable vehicles of 2022, according to Consumer Reports, which chronicled problems with its body fit, paint, weatherstripping, rear hatchback and climate system.

Panel gaps, paint, and weatherstripping make the car unreliable ?

Now I remember when Tesla went to a heat pump to address the complaints about range in the winter. I also remember when most of the climate issues were addressed with over the air updates. Not something that would interrupt a trip, annoying yes, but not the show stoppers that are listed for other car manufacturers.

So with such baaaaad reliability what’s left ?

Satisfaction. Tesla and Genesis are near the top for owner satisfaction but at the bottom of reliability ratings. The reverse is true for brands such as Acura and Buick, which have models that are reliable but relatively unsatisfying to their owners. And a few brands—such as Jeep and Mercedes Benz—are toward the bottom for both.

Source The Most and Least Liked Car Brands

Tesla is at the top for owner satisfaction. You would never know it from the forums Here. There are a large number of folks that don’t own a Tesla or the ones that do are quite vocal about their dislike for the car, price, service, all the way up to disdain for the CEO. And they are still here, whining and providing FUD instead of selling it, taking a profit as Tesla still has the highest residual / resale value, and going softly into that good night.

Compared to Everyone else Tesla is the new kid on the block. Other Auto makers have been around for decades, still making the same, if not copy’s of each other’s ICE platforms and subsystems.

And year after year they still cannot get it right. One year it’s the brakes another model year the transmission stinks. When are we going to get it right fellows ? If a car company has been at it over 50 years you would think they could figure out were the sweet spot was.

Most auto makers are constantly re-engineering parts in every model including the manufacturing process. Tesla doesn’t wait until the “new” model year as minor and sometimes major changes are slip streamed into the manufacturing process. One look at their parts catalog will show different part numbers for the same items as they are re-engineered and improved. The cameras, computers, drive trains, suspensions, battery packs, are not the same as your 201x Teslas

With most luxury brands the car is under scrutiny by the service department at least every oil change.

That gives the dealer a chance to address recalls, tighten fasteners, check alignments, fluids, and upsell the consumers for consumables, brakes, tires, wipers, filters, etc.

With Tesla the only scheduled maintenance is tire rotation. And most don’t do it.

Unless they notice usual tire wear, the car is never routinely looked after.

Which results in surprises.

If Tesla makes a Million cars (they have) and has a 1% failure rate in any system, that’s 10,000 cars that are going to see a service center. I see a lot more cars at Super chargers than service centers So I expect their failure rate is a lot smaller than 1%

I have a 2019 M3 performance. Three years to the month the 12v lead acid battery failed. Normal it wasn’t engineered to last longer. Tesla sent a mobile ranger to replace it next day. Same thing happened on my wife’s Ford earlier in the year. Ford told us, bring it in, we will look at it in a week.

So Tesla designed a lithium replacement in one model. Should last a lot longer than a lead acid.
‘Have other car makers gone this route ?

Is Tesla perfect ? According to Satisfaction ratings a small majority think so.
Can Tesla do better, sure.
Are they doing better, absolutely.

My next car, just for charging network alone, will be a Tesla. Unless something better comes along.…….

The next milestone Tesla will take from another manufacturer will be most cars still on the road.

All anecdotes

Let’s look at some data

Here is the 2022 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Report rankings of major automotive brands:

1. Lexus

2. Mazda

3. Toyota

4. Infiniti

5. Buick

6. Honda

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Nissan

10. Mini

11. Hyundai

12. Chrysler

13. Porsche

14. Chevrolet

15. Audi

16. Cadillac

17. BMW

18. Ford

19. Kia

20. Volvo

21. Ram

22. GMC

23. Mercedes-Benz

24. Volkswagen (31)

25. Genesis (30)

26. Jeep (26)

27. Tesla (25)

28. Lincoln (18)

So if Chevrolet is right in the middle at number 14 15-28 are all below average.

That includes your coveted German manufactures as well as the American Mainstays like GMC and Ford. If you go by Fords Luxury brand Lincoln they are dead last.

Source Consumer Reports: Lexus has most reliable car of 2022, Tesla has 'problems'

And Tesla is near the bottom. Why ? As the largest EV maker, Tesla is particularly prone to reliability issues. The Tesla Model Y, the company’s most popular model, is one of the 10 least reliable vehicles of 2022, according to Consumer Reports, which chronicled problems with its body fit, paint, weatherstripping, rear hatchback and climate system.

Now I remember when Tesla went to a heat pump to address the complaints about range in the winter. I also remember when most of the climate issues were addressed with over the air updates. Not something that would interrupt a trip, annoying yes, but not the show stoppers that are listed for other car manufacturers.

Satisfaction. Tesla and Genesis are near the top for owner satisfaction but at the bottom of reliability ratings. The reverse is true for brands such as Acura and Buick, which have models that are reliable but relatively unsatisfying to their owners. And a few brands—such as Jeep and Mercedes Benz—are toward the bottom for both.

Tesla is at the top for owner satisfaction. You would never know it from the forums Here. There are a large number of folks that don’t own a Tesla or the ones that do are quite vocal about their dislike for the car, price, service, all the way up to disdain for the CEO. And they are still here, whining and providing FUD instead of selling it, taking a profit as Tesla still has the highest residual / resale value, and going softly into that good night.

Compared to Everyone else Tesla is the new kid on the block. Other Auto makers have been around for decades, still making the same, if not copy’s of each other’s ICE platforms and subsystems.

And year after year they still cannot get it right. One year it’s the brakes another model year the transmission stinks. When are we going to get it right fellows ? If a car company has been at it over 50 years you would think they could figure out were the sweet spot was.

Most auto makers are constantly re-engineering parts in every model including the manufacturing process. Tesla doesn’t wait until the “new” model year as minor and sometimes major changes are slip streamed into the manufacturing process. One look at their parts catalog will show different part numbers for the same items as they are re-engineered and improved. The cameras, computers, drive trains, suspensions, battery packs, are not the same as your 201x Teslas

With most luxury brands the car is under scrutiny by the service department at least every oil change.

That gives the dealer a chance to address recalls, tighten fasteners, check alignments, fluids, and upsell the consumers for consumables, brakes, tires, wipers, filters, etc.

With Tesla the only scheduled maintenance is tire rotation. And most don’t do it.

If Tesla makes a Million cars (they have) and has a 1% failure rate in any system, that’s 10,000 cars that are going to see a service center. I see a lot more cars at Super chargers than service centers So I expect their failure rate is a lot smaller than 1%

I have a 2019 M3 performance. Three years to the month the 12v lead acid battery failed. Normal it wasn’t engineered to last longer. Tesla sent a mobile ranger to replace it next day. Same thing happened on my wife’s Ford earlier in the year. Ford told us, bring it in, we will look at it in a week.

So Tesla designed a lithium replacement in one model. Should last a lot longer than a lead acid.

My next car, just for charging network alone, will be a Tesla. Unless something better comes along.…….

The next milestone Tesla will take from another manufacturer will be most cars still on the road.

Good write up! Two thoughts.

Consumer Reports is - poor. This particular survey is, if I am correct, simply a count of items for which the new owner brought the vehicle to the shop. And they depend on owner reports to them, so the chance for error is pretty high. But, more importantly, it does not take expectation into account. Your point of tech, then, comes even more into play. People have high expectations of these expensive vehicles And they expect tech to work properly.

I also think the constant, rather than annual, upgrades to the cars, which you noted, may come into play. The people on the line are continuously faced with changes, which makes the job more interesting, but also introduces increased opportunity for error.

All anecdotes

Let’s look at some data

1. Lexus

2. Mazda

3. Toyota

4. Infiniti

5. Buick

6. Honda

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Nissan

10. Mini

11. Hyundai

12. Chrysler

13. Porsche

14. Chevrolet

15. Audi

16. Cadillac

17. BMW

18. Ford

19. Kia

20. Volvo

21. Ram

22. GMC

23. Mercedes-Benz

24. Volkswagen (31)

25. Genesis (30)

26. Jeep (26)

27. Tesla (25)

28. Lincoln (18)

My weatherstripping cracked on the pano roof of the car and started leaking water. Is that considered ‘reliable’? To a fanboy, yes. To a neutral observer, no.

BTW it was also going to cost me $650 to fix, as the whole Pano would have to be replaced, according to Tesla (and verified at an independent Tesla certified body shop).

I fixed it by myself.

I guess the numerous drive train failures on the Y didn’t make the cut in the survey eh?

BTW, my S has had not one, but two drivetrain replacements under warranty. Also, the touch screen, rear window glass, rear hatch glass, the whole front dash, steering wheel buttons that stopped working, two door handles that stopped working, and some more which I am forgetting.

On my Model 3, there have been fewer issues, but not trouble free, as you are whitewashing here.

There is so much to unpack in those Consumer Report reliability numbers beyond just looking at a rate per manufacturer. The Model X is a complex vehicle from the ground up, so you'd expect more potential for issues. Similar with many of the Euro brands, they try to pack so much into the vehicles and added complexity adds failure points.

The Model Y having such a high rate of problems seems difficult to defend considering how bare bones it is, add in price relative to the simplicity and I think it worsens the picture.

Electric vehicles are much simpler than combustion in their very nature, so you'd think they would have lower rates of problems.

# of models on offer might be a consideration along with numbers produced. Most of the OEMs produce a wide range of vehicles so maybe that adds complexity to their operations while almost all of Tesla's production is Model 3/Y and relatively small numbers of S/X. Less variety in models and trim options etc should make things easier, but that can probably also amplify any mistakes.