Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brake Kit the China option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• c2acd435a17f131c778b0e32f3188fff_small.jpg
    c2acd435a17f131c778b0e32f3188fff_small.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 441
The problem with Chinese brake is they do not put their parts in any sort of test. The parts material they do usually lower grade like stainless steel to cut cost and of course the design should be copied from other foreign brand. It might function like it should be, but the wear and reliability are questionable.

The problem with Chinese brake is they do not put their parts in any sort of test. The parts material they do usually lower grade like stainless steel to cut cost and of course the design should be copied from other foreign brand. It might function like it should be, but the wear and reliability are questionable.

Probably not extensively, from the pictures the company sent me they look like a brembo copy.

It's also probable that they manufacture for a automotive company, they could even be selling an exact brembo copy. I will do lots more research, but it could be the same as the wheels. 90% of all wheels are manufactured in china, no one has a problem buying a (vossen, bbs, whatever chinese made with a badge)

Last edited:
I asked them to provide testing literature and if they meet any national or international standards. They will send to me by email. It looks like they are a direct copy of brembo. So even if they are 80% thats 80% of brembo, something 100x better than stock.

Price for the below picture is $1536 usd + probably 400 shipping

calipers are forged cnc machined, not cast

Attachments

• IMG-20200827-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200827-WA0001.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 265
They will probably be fine, but the issue is that there's little chance you'll be able to accurately compare OEM and these as far as performance goes unless you get track data and you're experienced enough to be consistent with the setups to make an accurate observation.

They will probably be fine, but the issue is that there's little chance you'll be able to accurately compare OEM and these as far as performance goes unless you get track data and you're experienced enough to be consistent with the setups to make an accurate observation.

They would be mainly for street use. I drive hard enough that I do get a squishy pedal and would like a bit more performance, but I cannot justify an 8000 set of brembo brakes for screwing around on the street.

I'm researching all available options, including your brake kits. Which is probably the way to go, then later on change the calipers.

Rotora is also have a huge sale, 3700 for complete front and rear discs calipers all hardware.

Just be careful, we had a lot of bad experiences with that brand specifically when they sponsored our CTCC team. Replacing rotors between races (in a single weekend) was ridiculous and still expensive even though we paid cost for them.

5382065842_90eebca237_b.jpg

Just be careful, we had a lot of bad experiences with that brand specifically when they sponsored our CTCC team. Replacing rotors between races (in a single weekend) was ridiculous and still expensive even though we paid cost for them.

Thank you, this is why I post these types of questions on this forum, I find it very helpful.

I think all, or most brakes are made in China,taiwan, ect. Which isn't in itself a bad thing, I hear the Teslas made in china are turning out better than the ones from california.

Can't wait to install the comfort adjustable coilovers on my sad SR+

Those were actually the only parts I didn't look at alternative options for ;)

They would be mainly for street use. I drive hard enough that I do get a squishy pedal and would like a bit more performance, but I cannot justify an 8000 set of brembo brakes for screwing around on the street.

if it's for street use only, you're literally throwing $2k down the drain. For pedal feel, change your brake lines to braided and change pads/oil. These cars have freakin brembos on them already. The only reason I put on a set of RB rotors was to cut weight, if not for such a huge difference in rotational mass, I wouldn't have wasted the money. am sure @MountainPass could get you set up with something to better address the specific concern you have.

And I'm not against chinese brakes in general. I used to run ebay knockoff wave rotors on an RC51 in full race trim, and had no issues on that 400 pound pig, running track days in the intermediate class. Those $75 rotors held up as good as the $600 Galfer's they were copied from. I just don't believe that this system is an 'upgrade' on any level over the tesla oem setup.

Reactions: scarpiamod3
if it's for street use only, you're literally throwing $2k down the drain. For pedal feel, change your brake lines to braided and change pads/oil. These cars have freakin brembos on them already. The only reason I put on a set of RB rotors was to cut weight, if not for such a huge difference in rotational mass, I wouldn't have wasted the money. am sure @MountainPass could get you set up with something to better address the specific concern you have.

And I'm not against chinese brakes in general. I used to run ebay knockoff wave rotors on an RC51 in full race trim, and had no issues on that 400 pound pig, running track days in the intermediate class. Those $75 rotors held up as good as the $600 Galfer's they were copied from. I just don't believe that this system is an 'upgrade' on any level over the tesla oem setup.

Thank you, that is the type of answer i knew someone was holding onto :cool:

The reason to change would be as you said, rotational mass (I have lightweight wheels being made atm) pedal feel and looks with the new rims, for the front anyways (That tiny rotor up front, god knows they had to save that $20 bucks).

If i can do that without changing the calipers then I will go that route. For an MPP set up i'd be 1300 into their front kit and then whatever the lines and pads cost.

Anyways thanks, that was great info.

Reactions: Sam1
The RB rotors I bought were $2k ish with their pads. It removed right at 20 pounds of rotational mass on the car (6 pounds each lighter on the front, 4 pounds each lighter on the rear). They sell the larger front rotors that would help dissipate heat more, but the only track my car sees is the dragstrip, so I'm not worried about that. Plus the larger fronts were also a pound or 2 heavier each than the ones I got.

I think it's unfounded to simply assume these are bad but at the same time they don't have any reputation or consumer feedback to rely on. Smart to do lots of research and unless you find solid evidence that these are manufactured to the same specs as known quality brands, probably best to just stay away. For better performance and feel, I'd go with the MPP Page Mill kit, steel lines, and their brake mc brace. That should give you a great improvement in feel and performance with a known reliable tried and true vendor.

Reactions: scarpiamod3
6 Piston Big Brake Kit For Tesla Model 3 18inch 19inch

For those interested in looking through interesting options, I came across this. These guys warranty their brakes for 2 years, for what it's worth.

Youtube video -

The below is 405mm and their solution to the epb is the other photo

Attachments

• S60 big brake kit 01.jpg
    S60 big brake kit 01.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 209
  • T Small caliper 800.jpg
    T Small caliper 800.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I asked them to provide testing literature and if they meet any national or international standards. They will send to me by email. It looks like they are a direct copy of brembo. So even if they are 80% thats 80% of brembo, something 100x better than stock.

Price for the below picture is $1536 usd + probably 400 shipping

calipers are forged cnc machined, not cast

You do realize the stock brakes are made by Brembo....right?

I understand trying to save money, but brakes is the wrong place to do it.

You do realize the stock brakes are made by Brembo....right?

I understand trying to save money, but brakes is the wrong place to do it.

Yes I know they are Brembo

I'm just looking at all options and enjoying the input from others, it's informative.

The most likely setup that I will be doing is what sam1 and tlr1000 have said that I also looked into. Which is MPP lines, pads, oil and front rotors. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't look at everything that is available. Might come across something good, there is another thread about forged wheels from china people are getting forged sets that are actually good for 1500, which is a significant savings. I also bought from that manufacturer, maybe have the same luck with something else ya never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.