Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brake Kit the China option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also keep in mind that any cheap/chinese brakes may look like Brembo's but that absolutely doesn't mean they have the same internals and will function the same. Yes many companies source things from China, but you are paying a premium because that company has established a relationship and found a trustworthy supplier.

You might get lucky and find a great deal, but you also just as easily could get a dangerous product instead. Only time you'll really find out is when it matters and your life could be on the line. Save the penny pinching on chinese goods for things like circuit boards or other less critical items.

I spent 8 years in China on my own factory dealing with other factories. And I worked with tuning car shops there a lot. Horrible supply is a daily thing in China. Compare to me - you won't return anything, so they can send whatever. No brand to build. In fact - illegal brand usage. You can't check what they did until it's too late.

Don't do it. I guarantee that those brakes MUCH worse than stock and plain dangerous. They are made for looks only. Materials, construction, connectors, paint. All made from rubbish, by blindly and badly copying something else and close to no QC and no responsibility. Even if you get it for free - NO if you plan to drive a car.

Even if they show you certificate - it's guaranteed fake. They are not stupid to pay for actual tests.

Now, apparently, topic starter won't change his mind about "options exploration". But I hope he won't distract anyone repeating same journey.

Reactions: mattack4000
Yes I know they are Brembo

I'm just looking at all options and enjoying the input from others, it's informative.

The most likely setup that I will be doing is what sam1 and tlr1000 have said that I also looked into. Which is MPP lines, pads, oil and front rotors. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't look at everything that is available. Might come across something good, there is another thread about forged wheels from china people are getting forged sets that are actually good for 1500, which is a significant savings. I also bought from that manufacturer, maybe have the same luck with something else ya never know.

This is an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint IMO. I wish those who bought the wheels the best of luck, but 100% risk to save 25% of the cost of legitimate forged wheels (Martian, Titan7, etc) is not smart. Not to mention the resale of random Chinese forged wheels is going to be WAY less than the legitimate options. Also if you bend or break one and need a replacement you are either waiting months or straight up can't get them. Makes no sense.

I've said it before and I will say it again - do it once, do it right.

This is an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint IMO. I wish those who bought the wheels the best of luck, but 100% risk to save 25% of the cost of legitimate forged wheels (Martian, Titan7, etc) is not smart. Not to mention the resale of random Chinese forged wheels is going to be WAY less than the legitimate options. Also if you bend or break one and need a replacement you are either waiting months or straight up can't get them. Makes no sense.

You know that Martian and Titan seven wheels are made in China right? if you want to see manufactured in America or Europe prices check out BBS and you'll pay 6 to $8,000 for a set of rims.

You know that Martian and Titan seven wheels are made in China right? if you want to see manufactured in America or Europe prices check out BBS and you'll pay 6 to $8,000 for a set of rims.

Well aware. It doesn't change the fact that I can order Titan 7 wheels today and get them in a week. Or that a replacement wheel is easily accessible and readily attainable. Or that Titan 7 has a warranty. Or that I can pay with a CC and not worry about the company ghosting me. Or that the resale value will be high.

Like I said, I get why you bought those wheels and I wish you the best of luck; but to save ~$100 per wheel to me is not worth it. Just my two cents.

And to be clear, I am NOT saying that everything from China is poor or low quality. Just that established brands can control the QC of their products. A company with no reputation and nothing to lose has no incentive to QC their products. They don't owe you anything.

Well aware. It doesn't change the fact that I can order Titan 7 wheels today and get them in a week. Or that a replacement wheel is easily accessible and readily attainable. Or that Titan 7 has a warranty. Or that I can pay with a CC and not worry about the company ghosting me. Or that the resale value will be high.

Like I said, I get why you bought those wheels and I wish you the best of luck; but to save ~$100 per wheel to me is not worth it. Just my two cents.

And to be clear, I am NOT saying that everything from China is poor or low quality. Just that established brands can control the QC of their products. A company with no reputation and nothing to lose has no incentive to QC their products. They don't owe you anything.

So you're okay with buying anything from China, but you require a middleman in America to sell it to you for a higher price? Sounds pretty legit.

So you're okay with buying anything from China, but you require a middleman in America to sell it to you for a higher price? Sounds pretty legit.

I don’t think he’s trying to say that at all. He’s saying if a company is legit...they’ll backup their product aka warranty. Chinese companies fake their certifications in order to make a buck and since they are overseas how would they back their product? There’s nothing wrong with Chinese made products...as long as there’s checks and balances.

Ask yourself this...if your roof needed to be reroofed, Would you put shingles on your roof if the company / manufacturer didn’t guarantee their product / workmanship? What if the shingles flew off during a storm...would you call them back to fix it? Yeah you can go with a lesser company but they’ll probably never come back and make things right or they’ll steal your deposit and never answer back. It’s probably NOT a good idea to cheapen out on a roof but you definitely can be cheap on drywall or paint or tile or other items that don’t compromise Safety.

So yeah. Moral of the story is don’t be cheap on wheels and brakes. Either make more money or drive a cheaper car. Your expectations are too high to which you cannot afford so you’re making compromises.

...and after-sales support too. Even saving 75% without any of the things @MasterC17's on this list for a safety part is probably not good value. If it was a non-safety item (for example, floor mats) I'd be more willing to buy a no-name one to save a few bucks.

I think it's pretty clear that there are actual quality products made in China along with garbage ones as well. The unknown ones could be either and even in the slight chance they happen to be reasonable quality, it'd be difficult or unlikely to get any help from the manufacturer should any questions or concerns arise. Even though products like Titan 7 are made in China, the fact they have a presence on this continent not only provides customers a support network but also the Chinese manufacturer must meet QC standards for their customer (Titan 7 in this example) as they don't want to jeopardize that business relationship. So the middleman's higher price provides a certain guarantee and recourse mechanism for the consumer.

Front Brake Kit Custom 6 Pot Brake Suppliers,front Brake Kit Custom 6 Pot Brake Manufacturers

I am in the process of getting wheels from this factory. I will let the forum know my results, but came across this while going through their website.

Opinion?
(I know its going to be along the lines of cheap chinese brakes stupid idea ect) But realistically, most car parts are made in China so maybe it is a realistic option.

Did you check out vertini/vs forged at get your wheels.com?

Let us know how it goes, what you paid, and wheel specs including weight. Interested to hear. Their catalog appears to include a copy of every wheel that's ever been made in any style. Which always makes me a little bit nervous but again let us know how the wheels work out

Last edited:
So yeah. Moral of the story is don’t be cheap on wheels and brakes. Either make more money or drive a cheaper car. Your expectations are too high to which you cannot afford so you’re making compromises.

Financial advice from randoms on a car forum, always appreciated! Considering I wrote a $60k check for this car, I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing, until the day I end up needing to take a loan out for a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyNavy01
Financial advice from randoms on a car forum, always appreciated! Considering I wrote a $60k check for this car, I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing, until the day I end up needing to take a loan out for a car.
Oh snap! We flexing now? Ok here’s mine. Day one paid off with trade. Now post yours. You saying that you paid off your car on day one and being cheap on wheels and brakes make you look even MORE like a fool.
FD9B9B3F-791E-4995-9713-0229541832F0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Papacakes and Sam1
I spent 8 years in China on my own factory dealing with other factories. And I worked with tuning car shops there a lot. Horrible supply is a daily thing in China. Compare to me - you won't return anything, so they can send whatever. No brand to build. In fact - illegal brand usage. You can't check what they did until it's too late.

Don't do it. I guarantee that those brakes MUCH worse than stock and plain dangerous. They are made for looks only. Materials, construction, connectors, paint. All made from rubbish, by blindly and badly copying something else and close to no QC and no responsibility. Even if you get it for free - NO if you plan to drive a car.

Even if they show you certificate - it's guaranteed fake. They are not stupid to pay for actual tests.

Now, apparently, topic starter won't change his mind about "options exploration". But I hope he won't distract anyone repeating same journey.

I wrote in one of my posts here that based on the advice from others here, the most likely option that I will do is MPP larger front rotors, master cyc brace, pads, oil and lines. It seems like the option that suits what I am going to do the most, the price is reasonable and the company is reputable.
Did you check out vertini/vs forged at get your wheels.com?

Let us know how it goes, what you paid, and wheel specs including weight. Interested to hear. Their catalog appears to include a copy of every wheel that's ever been made in any style. Which always makes me a little bit nervous but again let us know how the wheels work out

I will, i will do a full write up on my experience with the company. I put my deposit in and they are being manufactured now. The manufacturer claims 9kg. I did end up changing the size at the last minute to 20's i found that the tire size i wanted for the 19's it was +4lbs on the tire but only +1 lb to come up to 20's so with the 20 I got -3lbs when wheel and tire is combined. 3lbs is probably meaningless but the reason i took the risk is price vs weight. They are the same price as lexani cast wheels that weigh 49LBS!

so they are 20x9, 32et, 64.1 fully forged cnc machined and manufacturer claims 9kg. If they work out its a good buy.

Reactions: dfwatt
The middle man is the difference between something that will pass qc and won’t.

Thats only true if the middle man is constantly there, I work with lots of chinese that own manufacturing in china here in vancouver. They have all told me that unless they are under constant pressure they will do it the way they do it.

I don't see a point in paying a middle man, who, realistically goes online and orders the wheels in a larger quantity like those martain wheels, and then charges you 50% more. Those wheels from that company, are costing him 200 or less, a piece and he is selling them for 500-600 a piece. I would bet my car he has never even been to china or the factory.

You know those martian wheels are manufactured in china, could even be by the same factory that I ordered wheels from. There are 8 manufactures that supply 90% of the wheels.

It's not a 25% saving, It's a little over 50%, which is big considering you are paying martian more than double what he is paying to have them made.

You know those martian wheels are manufactured in china, could even be by the same factory that I ordered wheels from. There are 8 manufactures that supply 90% of the wheels.

It's not a 25% saving, It's a little over 50%, which is big considering you are paying martian more than double what he is paying to have them made.

I can buy a set of the Martian Wheels for $2,000 shipped. Unless I'm reading the thread wrong, aren't you all paying $1,500 for a set?

They have to answer tk the middle man and deal with returns and all that. Most of these Chinese manufactures have no ethics and don’t care for your life in order to earn a penny. Just do research on baby powder, that’s how f ed up and twisted a lot of the people are.

I am not even getting into them stealing design from other and reverse engineer it for themselves. Taptes is one example.

Thats only true if the middle man is constantly there, I work with lots of chinese that own manufacturing in china here in vancouver. They have all told me that unless they are under constant pressure they will do it the way they do it.

I don't see a point in paying a middle man, who, realistically goes online and orders the wheels in a larger quantity like those martain wheels, and then charges you 50% more. Those wheels from that company, are costing him 200 or less, a piece and he is selling them for 500-600 a piece. I would bet my car he has never even been to china or the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.