Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brother Inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don't see why people are so put off about this. Maybe its just because I work in this type of tech field, but our phones do the same thing. If you have a smart phone (nearly everyone) you have GPS most likely. If you have GPS your phone company can find you. If you turn off GPS, something tells me they have the ability to turn it on or keep it showing dormant while they track you.

They don't need GPS. They can triangulate pretty accurately based on the cell towers.

P.S. Not an issue for me, either.

If I remember correctly, it is in the paperwork with NO opt out.

For me, while I don't like the info they collect, I live with it reluctantly.

Funny how "they" demand so much private info on citizens, but don't think some people should be burdened by producing a photo ID to vote.

Funny how "they" demand so much private info on citizens, but don't think some people should be burdened by producing a photo ID to vote.

I believe that is just to make it hard for some folks to vote so as to keep the current power structure intact. Although it's required where I live, I wasn't actually asked to produce a photo. I suspect that if I belonged to a minority I would be asked although I didn't see any examples of that first hand, so perhaps the people at the polling station I went to just disregarded it.

I believe that is just to make it hard for some folks to vote so as to keep the current power structure intact. Although it's required where I live, I wasn't actually asked to produce a photo. I suspect that if I belonged to a minority I would be asked although I didn't see any examples of that first hand, so perhaps the people at the polling station I went to just disregarded it.
I'm resisting on commenting to the whole of your post but just making an observation:

It would be very interesting to see the impact of photo ID ownership in the populace if Facebook, Twitter, etc. required it.

It's required in Indiana. We live in a town of about 50 people that has a church. The church is the polling place. My wife grew up with our neighbors and I've known them all for 30 years. Our neighbor is the "ID lady." We laugh every election day because she makes us show our ID.

Last edited:
Why must we bring politics into a Tesla conversation? George Bush and Barak Obama have nothing to do with Tesla's ability to track our vehicle's location. When posters feel the need to add their political commentary, in my mind their comments become considerably less meaningful. Let's stick with reason, evidence and logic here.

Being a (mostly) law abiding citizen, I don't mind if Tesla remotely monitors my location. I am pretty sure they don't have any nefarious purposes. I am curious about the reasons why people are concerned. If you don't mind, would you share what concerns you have about Tesla knowing your whereabouts? Perhaps I should be concerned, but am just not informed enough to know that I should be.

Being a (mostly) law abiding citizen, I don't mind if Tesla remotely monitors my location. I am pretty sure they don't have any nefarious purposes. I am curious about the reasons why people are concerned. If you don't mind, would you share what concerns you have about Tesla knowing your whereabouts? Perhaps I should be concerned, but am just not informed enough to know that I should be.

I think the concerns go something like this:

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac
As quoted in The Cyclopedia of Practical Quotations (1896) by Jehiel K̀eeler Hoyt, p. 763

Why must we bring politics into a Tesla conversation? George Bush and Barak Obama have nothing to do with Tesla's ability to track our vehicle's location. When posters feel the need to add their political commentary, in my mind their comments become considerably less meaningful. Let's stick with reason, evidence and logic here.

Note topic title. Kind of lends itself to politics eh?

personally, I could care less if they're tracking me. in fact, I actually appreciate their thoroughness and I hope they use the information to improve upon future generations of the model s. besides, every one of you is walking around with a gps in your cell phone and 'the man' knows where you are at any moment of any day with or without your consent. the former's purpose is for technological advancement. the latter is for big brother.

Simple, non of their business.

Like I said, let people opt in or out.

There is no such thing as anything NOT being used for nefarious purposes, eventually.

The less is publicly (government or corporation) available about you, the lower your chances of becoming victim of identity theft, blackmail or what not.

I simply choose to maintain my privacy and not broadcast my whereabouts, "feelings" (FB, Twitter, etc) and what not.

There is no such thing as benign data hoarding. Eventually, somebody will misuse it. Either the government or a corporation.

As long as there is a choice, everybody should be happy.

While everyone should have a right to their privacy if they wish, I don't understand the fear.

Obviously we shouldn't be just handing out certain information, but most information is no harm. Heck, even the way people are so afraid of their SSN being handed out amuses me. We hand it out at every job interview or to apply for this or that, and we give it to a complete stranger. Yet, at other times it seems like a completely guarded secret. Again, theoretically we know that those people are properly handling the information, but we don't know. I wouldn't just toss mine out there for everyone to see, but the whole thing just makes me chuckle sometimes...

There is no such thing as benign data hoarding. Eventually, somebody will misuse it. Either the government or a corporation.
Actually, yeah there is such a thing as benign data hoarding. Most sales businesses do it. While sometimes the data gets used for a positive purpose usually it doesn't get used for anything. The 90/90 rule is that after 90 days, 90% of the information in data stores is never used/useful again. In that case, that's a ton of benign data hoarding.

My best example is the sales industry. Loyalty programs tend to record purchases. These purchases are then used to help define what different demographics are into, they help define what you are into. It helps for selective advertising, which can be beneficial to the consumer (you get ADs for something you're interested in at least, or maybe even something you needed). Also, it helps the companies specifically let the customer know about events/items that they might be interested in based on their past purchases. Lastly, it helps keep information for the customer about what they've purchased in the past (say they need a replacement), and it's also useful for return purposes. Companies can have a pretty good idea about who you are from this info.

Cellphone locating services help drive relevant advertisements to you about local businesses. This again might help you, if say the ad was for a local restaurant and you are hungry, you now have that info (if you're somewhere you don't normally go). This is there to help you and the business. The locator service also helps track you for the purposes of defining where traffic is bad. This helps the next guy, and in turn it helped you in the first place because you could avoid the bad traffic.

Bringing it all back to Tesla, I'm not sure exactly what they are using the data for, however I can imagine no malice that they would have out for you. There is (as it is with those previous two examples) too much data amongst all of their customers to track them all and have it out for all of us. That being said, if you truly have something that Tesla is out to get you for, then I understand, and I would recommend you opt out, ha. I guess the only way I could see Tesla using this against a customer is if you had something happen to your car and in turn they grabbed your driving history to prove you aren't a reasonable driver thus it isn't their fault. If that is something you could see coming up in your future, by all means opt out!

But, for most of us, I believe the benefit would be that they could probably track the history of the battery and possibly other parts of the car, if necessary, and determine what and where a problem is, should you be unfortunate enough to have a problem. For example, maybe two years from now your car (or all cars) start not charging fully or something, being able to pull the history of the battery (and maybe individual cells) might help them diagnose a problem. I'm just thinking that typically the information they could collect would be more beneficial than negative (unless you're really up to something on your free time that you don't want someone to be able to figure out).

I consider myself a conservative and very private guy, but I also know that with the advent of some of the technology we've had over the last few years, the benefit of sharing benign data about yourself can help propel this inherently more social world we live in to be more efficient. I don't believe that there are random people out to get me; if for some odd chance someone does choose to track my data randomly and set me up for failure because they found out my address and habits, I'd consider it a random bit of unluckiness the same as if I was to be randomly offed in the street.

While everyone should have a right to their privacy if they wish, I don't understand the fear.

You don't have to understand. That's ok.

Some people don't understand the second amendment.

I don't understand religion and this need in "something else".

Some owners don't like their license plate exposed in car pictures on the Internet - paranoid?

Some people lock their cars and front doors.

Some even have alarm systems.

Others use life lock.

Some don't like smart phones because of the tracking.

Others don't want to be tracked by their car company (or their car insurance for that matter).

At the end the most important part of this discussion is that everyone has the freedom of choice to decide what they want. No explanation necessary.

At the end the most important part of this discussion is that everyone has the freedom of choice to decide what they want. No explanation necessary.

I'm not implying that an explanation is necessary, I was just curious about what the specific reasons people who are concerned have, if they are inclined to share. I appreciate the desire to have privacy and not have my location tracked. I'm just wondering if there is something more concrete that I should be concerned about.

I'm not implying that an explanation is necessary, I was just curious about what the specific reasons people who are concerned have, if they are inclined to share. I appreciate the desire to have privacy and not have my location tracked. I'm just wondering if there is something more concrete that I should be concerned about.

Well, the double edged sword of hypotheticals ....

You sell an item and have a lot of cash. You're driving home and a robbery occurs and someone reports a red car driven by a male .... you happen to be in the area and an alert cop gets the BOLO and pulls you over and yanks you out of the car and finds all the cash on you. YOU SIR ARE GUILTY TILL PROVEN INNOCENT ....

Translate that to the tracking abilities on your car or phone and the ability for some to exploit that .... or even impose false data at their will. If you aren't worried, you should be. Especially if that rolls down the path of a "terrorist" nature and they have a Predator drone flying around.