Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

With BTC at levels where it is now an impairment, even a modest boost will be helpful going into earnings.
Or selling it before he burns even more of our money would be good. Its not teslas mission to boost cryptocurrency like some embarrassing pump and dump scheme. Plenty of silly crypto companies out there for people who want to do so.

oh wow. we are not allowed to discuss bitcoin and the fact it will be a black mark on our investment in the investment thread.
Apparently we can say its great there, but not that its bad. Mods own a lot of bitcoin I assume...
Funny that its now below $30,000. Hopefully will crash to zero soon enough.
Thinking on this about, and I think some sort of massive flash crash of Bitcoin would be the 2nd best option (after Tesla simply selling its BTC as the best option). A massive fall in Bitcoin that wipes off most of the value in a single quarter means it is removed as a future threat to Tesla net income after that quarter (which suffers a massive impairment upfront), and after twelve months that impairment is removed from Teslas trailing twelve month EPS figure.

The sooner this turd is gone from Tesla’s balance sheet (one way or another) the better.

Reactions: daniel
Gold *is* considered a store of wealth.

How difficult it is to recover stolen "goods" be they gold, cash, cars, digits in your cc balance, BTC, is another matter entirely. And, actually stolen BTC *have* occasionally (when the effort justifies it) been recovered. That was the case of the ransomware thieves who'd successfully got the Eastern gasoline pipeline to pay up (in BTC).
The reason they were able to be recovered is that the thieves had left their BTC in an exchange .. which is like leaving gold in a bank vault.

Storing wealth in an asset that's easy to steal and impossible to recover* is foolhardy. Storing wealth in an asset that produces nothing only makes sense if you are hedging against a belief that the economy is about to crash. It makes far more sense to store wealth in an asset that reliably pays interest or dividends, or an asset that provides a needed service, such as a car if you need transportation, or a house in which to live. Putting wealth in a highly volatile asset that you hope will rise in value is not "storing" wealth. It is speculation.

* As you point out, the BTC recently recovered by the feds was only recovered because the thieves left it in an exchange where it could be traced and against whom warrants could be issued. Leaving BTC in an exchange is not like leaving gold in a bank vault. It's like leaving gold in a glass display case in a jewelry store.

• Love
Reactions: Thekiwi
Elon and Cathie talking about BTC live now:

"I might pump, but I don't dump" - Elon

Other interesting notes:

Elon personally owns BTC (biggest crypto position), as well as ETH, and DOGE.
SpaceX owns BTC.
Expects Tesla to accept BTC again when renewable percentage increases.

Last edited:
I am really liking how Elon is handling Bitcoin personally and for his companies. He's bullish BTC *AS HE SHOULD BE*

but trying to balance its value against countering Tesla's mission.

There's some short term pain for Tesla not accepting BTC, but Tesla holding bitcoin will see incredible appreciation in less than 3 years as the daily supply halves.

No Wall Street or Main Street models have looked at supply halving every 4 years. Hidden upside to Tesla just HODL for 3 years even if no change from today's price.

4D Chess Take is:

Elon expects BTC to be a great asset for him and Tesla. It was worth "tanking" the price SHORT TERM to remove the incentive to use the dirtiest of all energy sources to produce it.

Other interesting notes:

SpaceX owns BTC.
1626894125709.png

Everything looks peachy-keen in the Bitcoin world!

Other interesting notes:

SpaceX owns BTC.
I'd add that when asked what should companies look out for if they decide to add bitcoin to their balance sheets, Cathie cautioned companies to consider the asymmetry of price movements and its effect - price goes up, no effect, price goes down, negative effect. She said there is institutional pressure to change the rules so this would not be the case.

I am really liking how Elon is handling Bitcoin personally and for his companies. He's bullish BTC *AS HE SHOULD BE*

but trying to balance its value against countering Tesla's mission.

There's some short term pain for Tesla not accepting BTC, but Tesla holding bitcoin will see incredible appreciation in less than 3 years as the daily supply halves.

No Wall Street or Main Street models have looked at supply halving every 4 years. Hidden upside to Tesla just HODL for 3 years even if no change from today's price.

4D Chess Take is:

Elon expects BTC to be a great asset for him and Tesla. It was worth "tanking" the price SHORT TERM to remove the incentive to use the dirtiest of all energy sources to produce it.

The supply going down is only a good thing if demand stays high. The supply of new DVDs on the market has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years, but the old DVDs sitting on your shelf are not worth much because demand has dropped too.

As people become aware of the energy demands for BTC trading as well as mining, interest in BTC declines. It's true that mining and trading energy demands can be met with renewables, but we need the renewable energy for other things too. Every renewable GWH that goes into supporting crypto currencies is a GWH that isn't going to some other use and the difference has to be made up with non-renewable energy sources. IMO using renewables for crypto is a form of kicking the can over the fence. Extra fossil fuels will be burned because there is only so much wind, solar, and hydro available. If there was an oversupply of renewables to a point where renewable energy plants were idle due to oversupply, then the argument for using renewables for crypto make sense, but we're years away from that situation, if ever.

Even with the energy issues aside, it's still unclear whether crypto currencies are going to be around for the long haul or if they will be looked back on as temporary insantiy like tulip mania.

Sometimes speculative bubbles can lead to long term stable companies and/or technologies. The dot-com boom was a speculative bubble. There were lots of internet start ups that flashed and died during the late 90s. A few companies emerged from that time as industry leaders, Google and Amazon among the strongest.

The electric car industry is in sort of a speculative bubble now. Tesla appears extremely likely to survive and become a leader in the industry for the foreseeable future, but a number of electric vehicle start ups have already failed and others are on their way to join the dodo bird in the next year or two. Traditional car makers are beginning to jump on the bandwagon.

There were observable benefits to the internet from the invention of the world wide web. It took a few years and quite a few false starts to figure out the best way to use it, but we've managed to come up with a workable system and the companies that made the right bets at the right time are reaping huge rewards.

Same thing with electric vehicles. Not everyone is convinced that they will replace ICE yet, at least not soon, but anyone who has done a dive into the technology can see EVs are just superior in almost every way.

There is some commerce going on with crypto, but the bulk of its use to date is trading it to other investors and black market transactions. There are a number of pretty severe drawbacks like it is easy to lose and easy to steal with little recourse. It has a high energy budget compared to other financial instruments. It's lack of backing by any government is seen by some as an advantage, but by quite a few others as a disadvantage.

Crypto may become a measurable part of the world economy in the next few years, or it may become as valuable as tulip growing is today. Tulips are grown commercially and you can buy the bulbs in the spring and plant them. But they are hardly a speck on the world economic stage.

”I might pump” …

What is that word “might” doing in there? He does pump.

His credibility is damaged by these favors for Dorsey. The best way to promote crypto is to advocate without tainting your advocacy position by owning it. This is routinely referred to as talking your book.

Dorsey is no friend IMO.

My video card I bought new 2 years ago for $200 sells new today for $300. For that reason alone, I hope cryptocurrency dies. And yet, there are so many other reasons to want it to die. Using energy intensive processing as part of the design is stupid, and its association with criminal enterprises is uncomfortably close as well. If cryptocurrency was standing next to the well at Sparta, I would kick it in.

The price of the video card may also be up because of the shortage of electronic parts. I had to upgrade my work computer a couple of months ago. I waited six months because the processor was virtually unavailable in January, and it was still expensive. I've also been watching the prices for hard drives for my file server and they are about 30-50% more than they were a year ago.

Though crypto currency mining probably isn't helping the price of video cards.

I thought Elon made a lot of sense during the Bitcoin discussion. I say this as Bitcoin bull since 2012. His criticism is fair. It was pretty funny how he answered some questions:

Moderator: So what is your hope for BTC, how will it change the world?
Elon: Crypto in general...

I think Elon is starting to become more and more pro Ethereum. With PoS and sharding his information network thingy, energy, transaction throughput, costs etc will be satisfied. Give it a year and Tesla will start accepting Eth! =)

Gee, it just seems criminality and Crypto go hand in hand. Is this a surprise? NewsFlash, don't invest with criminals.

Tether under criminal scrutiny:

Seems a bit like Dorsey was trying to get some positive story buzz out before this criminality story dropped. Dorsey is not a friend of TSLA IMO. Pump, Pump, Pump, Pump!

A few months ago I noticed if one were to simply buy bitcoin during the week then sell on the weekend, they would make a nice consistent profit. This pattern is still holding up so I'm wonder if anyone is doing this?

I'm not. I hold Bitcoin through Greyscale and haven't taken the initiative to figure out how to trade 24/7.

For those outside of the US (and can't get an RH account) looking for an easy way to buy Crypto:

I opened an eToro account very easily and invested in Doge, Ethereum and Cardano (ADA) in seconds. Like RH you don't hold the keys etc. My Coinbase account hasn't yet been verified - must be 8 weeks...
Easiest way to set it up quickly is probably through a Robinhood account. You don't actually hold the BTC but if you're just doing short term trades it doesn't matter. I did it with DOGE.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Maybe the least efficient way to mine crypto

As for major players in the EV industry who have expressed interest in the cryptocurrency space, Tesla and Elon Musk certainly come to mind. On the other hand,...

Maybe the least efficient way to mine crypto

As for major players in the EV industry who have expressed interest in the cryptocurrency space, Tesla and Elon Musk certainly come to mind. On the other hand,...

I'm under the impression that successfully mining crypto requires massive amounts of computing power. I suspect that while this car might allow you to trade crypto, it's unlikely to actually mine a single coin in its lifetime.

Not to mention that the car doesn't actually exist. It's one more in a long list of hyped cars with impressive specs based on intentions rather than any actual measurements. They intend* to build this car, with these specs, and a built-in crypto-mining computer. And 1.8 seconds zero-to-sixty? Seriously? That would make it the quickest street-legal car in the world.

* Except that they probably don't. Not really. See below.

How frigging stupid would someone have to be to think that a car is going to be a more powerful crypto-mining machine than, say, your average gaming computer? Or that a brand-new car company is actually going to build the quickest street-legal car in the world?

I call scam! With promises like that these are not aspirational entrepreneurs dreaming big. They are scam artists hoping to rope in gullible people with promises of the quickest car ever made, that churns out bitcoin for you in its spare time.

Reactions: JRP3 and rxlawdude
I'm under the impression that successfully mining crypto requires massive amounts of computing power. I suspect that while this car might allow you to trade crypto, it's unlikely to actually mine a single coin in its lifetime.

Not to mention that the car doesn't actually exist. It's one more in a long list of hyped cars with impressive specs based on intentions rather than any actual measurements. They intend* to build this car, with these specs, and a built-in crypto-mining computer. And 1.8 seconds zero-to-sixty? Seriously? That would make it the quickest street-legal car in the world.

* Except that they probably don't. Not really. See below.

How frigging stupid would someone have to be to think that a car is going to be a more powerful crypto-mining machine than, say, your average gaming computer? Or that a brand-new car company is actually going to build the quickest street-legal car in the world?

I call scam! With promises like that these are not aspirational entrepreneurs dreaming big. They are scam artists hoping to rope in gullible people with promises of the quickest car ever made, that churns out bitcoin for you in its spare time.

There are a number of cryptos that aren't worth much that don't require all that much CPU power to mine their coins. Bitcoin requires custom made mining rigs and a lot of energy to mine each coin.

But it is a massive waste to use a car CPU to mine any crypto currency.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel and bkp_duke