Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Car? Desert SW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really considering a black S. But I'm wondering if it will just be too hot inside during our really hot months here in Vegas.

Does anyone with a black car in the desert southwest regret getting black?
Do you have a black car in the desert southwest and love it?

@Buster1, I was similarly concerned when I bought my Model S - my first black car. I'm not in the desert, but have driven up and down the east coast this summer, including leaving my car out in open parking lots for 8-12 hours at a time during our recent spate of 95+ days. For me, it hasn't been bad - not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Face it, any car sitting in the sun when it's 90+ degrees is going to be hot. But the ability to pre-cool the car with the app is a huge benefit. With pre-cooling, by the time you get to the car, it can be a comfortable temperature.

I can't guarantee that this provides an appreciable benefit, but I also bought the Tesla sunshades for when I know I'm leaving the car outside, in the sun, for more than a few hours: Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades

I know that a lot of people feel they aren't necessary, but for me, what I like about them is that I can vent the sunroof without worrying about insects flying into my car (certainly a concern on the east coast - gnats, mosquitos, all manner of flies (house flies, green heads, brown flies, etc. - you name it, we seem to have them). :D

I say go for it! If you like the color (and people seem to love it or hate it - as my first black car, I love it), then don't let the fear of the heat keep you from getting it.

I have white, so naturally I prefer light colors.

Just an observation and theory, but I think maybe the roof is the biggest contributor to heat gain from a car. The roofs of new Model S cars are all glass, so the same color. It has been a while since they made a body-color roof on the MS.

I doubt there would really be a lot of difference in the interior temperature due to exterior color of the car except for the roof. I have no data. Interior color might make a difference, but even that is mostly black in areas that would get the brunt of the sun.

I think you've already made up your mind and just looking for validation - nothing wrong with that.

But, while I'm not in Vegas, in Miami currently in my 20 years driving in Arizona, I would never buy anything but white - it looks cleaner, easier to take of, cleans easier, no swirls, appears bigger, and IT IS NOT AS HOT. Just my 2c.

You guys are makin' this tough! o_O I actually haven't made up my mind yet, but like the darker colors as I've driven a white car for the past 7.5 yrs. I'm ready for a change and all that. But keeping a black car clean, as well as the possible heat issues in Vegas has me wondering if I'm being an idiot.

I'm kinda thinking @BerTX is right to a degree (he he ;)) in that the glass roof is a major contributor to the heat issue in any MS car.

You guys are makin' this tough! o_O I actually haven't made up my mind yet, but like the darker colors as I've driven a white car for the past 7.5 yrs. I'm ready for a change and all that. But keeping a black car clean, as well as the possible heat issues in Vegas has me wondering if I'm being an idiot.

I'm kinda thinking @BerTX is right to a degree (he he ;)) in that the glass roof is a major contributor to the heat issue in any MS car.
I didn't really mean that the glass roof contributes to the heat gain -- my point was that the cars all have glass roofs, so the color of the car (since the roofs are all the same) is less of a factor.

Why don't you visit your local service center and take a look at cars there - see how dusty/clean they are, then, maybe, ask to open some of them to check out interior temperature and try to seat on the seats.

If you value appears more than practicality (colorwise), I would definitely go with a black car - it's just so gorgeous and stunning

Had a black '13 P85, now have a white '17 S75D.

The white seems a little cooler, but I think it's mostly mental.

What really helps is window tint-including the windshield. Second, I make an effort to find a shaded parking space. Third, use the phone app to "pre-cool" the car.

If you do those 3 things, black or white is more about appearance and maintenance.

I agree, with the glass roof there's not much black to heat up the car.

However, I do recommend the white seats. I think they have been much cooler than black seats would have been. After parking for a while with the sun shining on the seat this weekend in late afternoon the seat was barely warm. The last time I drove my wife's Mini with black seats they were so hot after being parked in the sun I couldn't put my back against the seat back.

However, I do recommend the white seats. I think they have been much cooler than black seats would have been.

Agreed - not sure about exterior color, but interior color makes a big difference. I try to avoid black seats living in a desert. I had black seats in my Volt and it was just painful. Our 2013 Model S has tan seats and its much cooler and much more comfortable than a black interior.

That said, tinting makes a big difference. My friend out here has a black on black Model S. He has limo tint (which is illegal in AZ) but it makes a big difference. I guess it's more bearable.