TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blackberry Phone App -- Thats whats missing...

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by rekoh, Feb 12, 2013.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

Dear Tesla (et al):

I know Blackberry Phone has a lower market share than iPhone or Android, but there are a core of people who use and like Blackberry. I know that getting those two apps complete first was a priority. But i think we have a fairly significant group of Blackberry users, and we'd appreciate the same support as iPhone and Android. You can even outsource it to any number of companies you do work like this - by starting with your existing iOS and Android code and porting it over.

Can anyone from Tesla (or others) confirm that it's at least being worked on?

2. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

probably won't happen, Blackberry is so far behind they're on the Palm path to self destruction....

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I don't believe it is even being worked on at this point.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

all the cool people have iPhones and Androids. wannabe's have windows phones and crack addicts still have their crackberries. just saying ;)

5. patp

patp Member

If Tesla leaves the API open, this will be really easy to make a basic app for Blackberry. Someone on the forums is making a Windows Phone version.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

What exactly are windows phone users wanting to be?

I don't think anyone will dev for the old BBs with BB10 being "the future". On the plus side, BB10 is extremely easy to develop for.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yeah. Sorry but I'd move on. It really seems as though its over. Just a matter of time.

8. rekoh

rekoh Member

I couldnt agree more.. Blackberry/RIM is a dying brand. BUT. I have to have Blackberry for my work. SO. I hate carrying 2 phones, and am hoping that converting an android app to Blackberry is not that big of a deal, and maybe Tesla will do it just to get it done.

9. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

lose the wackberry and get an iphone

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Sometimes you just can't do that. There are still fuddy-duddy companies out there that are living in the 1980s.

11. Marcus Adolfsson

I have started working on an unofficial native app for BlackBerry 10 (not compatible with older BlackBerry phones). Version 1 should be ready in the next week.

I have been rocking the Z10 since Jan 30 and really started taking a liking to the phone. I tried to sideload the Android Tesla App but no go since it uses Google Maps.

12. dj905

dj905 Member

@Marcus

I'd love to be an alpha or beta tester. Let me know when you have something that you'd like to share. I work for BlackBerry, and may be able to connect you with people in our developer relations group if you have questions that need answering. Just send me a PM.

David

13. Marcus Adolfsson

14. rekoh

rekoh Member

anyway to make this compatible with older Blackberry models (torch)?
    :)