Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't constantly upload to the cloud, the cloud feature simply allows you to view the footage directly from the camera if you an incident were to occur such as if the dash cam detects impact and you receive the push notification. I have been doing that currently for months without an issue

And to second what @K-MTG said, after setting up my BlackVue DR650GW-2Ch to upload through my FreedomPop Mifi2, it does NOT auto-upload anything. You can connect to the BlackVue over the Internet (via your iOS/Android device) and queue files to upload. Otherwise, it uses the internet to send notifications of different events (configurable) and you can find your car via the built-in GPS on the camera.
Let me know if there are other questions

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
We didn't check the dome lights, we did check the mirror/AP camera assembly, and no luck there.
We didn't actually have to pull the headliner out at all, just the edges to get the rear camera wire tucked along to the back.
the power came down to the drivers kick panel as you see in the last photo.

Very nice set up! ... No installer seems to have done a Model X in the area. Where do you get to the constant 12V down by the drivers kick panel exactly? Left side/right side? Just pop off the cover? How do you go to the rear and interior of the hatch? Just want to give the local installer some idea before they 'experiment' it on my car ... :confused:

Very nice set up! ... No installer seems to have done a Model X in the area. Where do you get to the constant 12V down by the drivers kick panel exactly? Left side/right side? Just pop off the cover? How do you go to the rear and interior of the hatch? Just want to give the local installer some idea before they 'experiment' it on my car ... :confused:

Yes, I would expect Model X installs to be very rare at this point - even in a big city/region.

The constant power on my install was behind the driver (that would be left unless you are in the UK :) kick panel. To get to it, my installer popped off the plastic door threshold (the one with X on it), then undid two torx screws to loosen the driver kick panel.

The existing 20' cable with the BlackVue DR650GW was too short to run from the front to the back along the side panels. I ordered a 32' one from Replacement Coaxial Cable for BlackVue DR650GW-2CH-TRUCK Secondary Camera But I see they are out of stock now on the one I ordered.

We ran the rear camera cable along the windshield towards to the drivers side (just like the power cable). We popped off the rear threshold plate as well and fished the cable along the floor through the pillar between the front door and FWD.

We didn't pull any other panels - we gently pried the rear interior side panels and push the cable inside. We fished cable above the ceiling panel to the rubber hose that contains the cables to the back door. Finally, we fished the cable down to the camera behind the plastic frame on the rear window.

We only removed the two door threshholds and the rest was just delicate fish-line work through interior panels.

IMG_5886.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG

We got power under the drivers kick panel, pictured in the 1st post of the thread. Last photo shows the multimeter probes in the 2 wires that were used.
We routed the power wire from the camera through the channel, down the drivers frame and threshold to the kick panel.
We routed the camera wire the same up top, but along the drivers side upper FWD headliner.
We did not need any cable extensions as the cables were actually way too long.

Reactions: NJ Plugin
From my understanding is that their is no need to use a power magic pro or power regulator device for the tesla install as the Tesla DC to DC charger constantly tops off the 12V battery. Is that correct?

Correct, basically the whole car is a giant battery. It would be something crazy if the Dashcam drains the battery. No need for the Power Magic Pro or any other regulator. I have run my DR650GW-2CH for 20+ hours and not noted any additional drain (beyond the normal vampire drain)

Correct, basically the whole car is a giant battery. It would be something crazy if the Dashcam drains the battery. No need for the Power Magic Pro or any other regulator. I have run my DR650GW-2CH for 20+ hours and not noted any additional drain (beyond the normal vampire drain)

Good to know as the X is mostly our weekend car, not really driven during the week and I don't want to kill the 12V

Where we tapped into power was adjacent to the obd-2. The wires we used were much more accessible. The obd was tucked up into the xm and UHFS amp. (Same as model S)
So we went to easy access.

Sorry, a couple questions. First, I'm assuming you cut off the cigarette lighter plug from the Blackvue cable. Were there two real wires in there, or one real wire with the mesh ground all around it?
Second, I found the OBD-2 plug and other wires. Which wires did you tap into for the constant 12V? Any chance for pics?
Thanks!

Sorry, a couple questions. First, I'm assuming you cut off the cigarette lighter plug from the Blackvue cable. Were there two real wires in there, or one real wire with the mesh ground all around it?
Second, I found the OBD-2 plug and other wires. Which wires did you tap into for the constant 12V? Any chance for pics?
Thanks!
The last photo in the 1st post shows multi meter probes in the two wires I tapped.
The Blackvue power wire has 2 real wires.

Sorry, another question Muzzman -
When you ripped the center channel off the windshield, was it a 3M type tape that was holding it on to begin with? I can't tell from your pictures. When you reattached with 3M tape, is there a gap now, or does it look like new?

• Helpful
Reactions: BornToFly