Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinded pillar cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting intermittent messages that pillar cameras are obstructed or blinded? This has occurred on both sides and always seems to be when the bright sun is on that side of the car. Cameras are not obstructed or fogged by condensation. Seems that some sort of filter is needed. Could be a problem with FSD.

Reactions: Riguy and MrWattson
Model 3, I get those messages regularly in the morning if it's cold and there is condensation (I park outside), or when the sun hits it just right. Recently I had the sun blind the camera/AP repetitively on a dry and sunny day, I posted about it here: Autopilot blinded, disengaged by sun on interstate

May be a limitation of the hardware as others noted in that thread. You are in MA so could be due to the low winter sun?

Anyone else getting intermittent messages that pillar cameras are obstructed or blinded? This has occurred on both sides and always seems to be when the bright sun is on that side of the car. Cameras are not obstructed or fogged by condensation. Seems that some sort of filter is needed. Could be a problem with FSD.
Yes I just started receiving the same message last week. The weather where I live has recently dropped tremendously so I just assumed that was the case

Yes there are lots of threads on this topic. Unfortunately Tesla has not yet offered a workable solution.

I park in an unheated but (relative to the outdoors) warm garage. Any moisture in the air gap inside the camera housing will condense once I am on the road for a few minutes. The cameras can deal with it until there is direct sunlight. It usually takes twenty or so minutes of driving for it to clear itself up.

the only real solution here is to have some kind of heated glass for the camera or to direct dry air into the camera housing. Both of which would require a hardware upgrade.

Yes there are lots of threads on this topic. Unfortunately Tesla has not yet offered a workable solution.

I park in an unheated but (relative to the outdoors) warm garage. Any moisture in the air gap inside the camera housing will condense once I am on the road for a few minutes. The cameras can deal with it until there is direct sunlight. It usually takes twenty or so minutes of driving for it to clear itself up.

the only real solution here is to have some kind of heated glass for the camera or to direct dry air into the camera housing. Both of which would require a hardware upgrade.

Thanks for letting us know. Just had this problem for the first time this morning with my new Y. So far, I have had the car for 4 days, and have had three separate error incidents (inclement weather, inability to read lane markers, and now "cameras blinded") that have inactivated Autopilot features.

Not encouraging.

I've brought the car to the Tesla SC for this issue, and they "diagnosed" it for days and found nothing wrong. They advised me to send in the "bug reports" whenever it happens, which could help them in the future figure out what's going on.

My DS was doing it periodically so I photographed it with no condensation and they replaced the entire B pillar. This morning the PS started doing it, but it’s been cold and stormy so I’m letting it slide unless it becomes as common as the DS was.

Been experiencing it. Today it was very sunny but being Dec in NJ, the sun angle is very low and gives off much glare. Depending on where the sun was shining, I received the message for the driver and passenger pillar cameras and the occasional various cameras.

I've got it periodically too. Pillar cam condensation.
PXL_20201114_205951544.jpg

Reactions: DriverOne
I get it without condensation. Mostly I can tell that the sun is shining on it. But in the last week it has happened twice where it reported the opposite camera. As in the message says the right camera is blocked but in reality the sun is shinning on the left (or vice versa).

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff