Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinker stalk not consistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the blinker stalk in my car feels really inconsistent.

I often use the half-travel comfort blinker function for when i change lane for example, as this has been on numerous previous cars and i have gotten used to it.

On every previous car i quickly got a feel for how much force was needed for the half-travel, but on the Tesla it seems very random.

I can do a drive on the motorway and do 5 succesful comfort flashes, but then suddenly there is one where it does not engage and when you are used to it working and just hit the stalk and then start maneuvering the car screams at you for "leaving your lane".

I have tried being more vigilant on observing if it does actually engage before changing lanes and sometimes when it did not engage i have to do it multiple times with increasing force, to the point where i feel like i am very close to actually going full-blink mode.

Next time after that it might be back to normal.

Is my blinker arm possibly faulty or is this "normal behaviour on the Model Y ?

Just asking to know if this is something i need to complain to Tesla about or it is just that way this stalk is ?

I am wondering if a SW update changed this. I never used to have a blinker problem on my 2921 MY but both myself and my wife noticed it’s not consistent / hard to get it to do just the 3 blinks now . Never had a problem until lately.

Reactions: hmadsen
Ever since the auto turn signal cancel feature was released, back in December, my turn signals have been hit or miss when turning off. Sometimes they turn off automatically, sometimes they dont. Its a real pain. Turn signals are now like wipers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Try going to Controls/Lights/Auto Turn Signals and try turning it off and see if things improve. It didnt for me and I distinctly remember all my problems began after that release.

Ever since the auto turn signal cancel feature was released, back in December, my turn signals have been hit or miss when turning off. Sometimes they turn off automatically, sometimes they dont. Its a real pain. Turn signals are now like wipers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Try going to Controls/Lights/Auto Turn Signals and try turning it off and see if things improve. It didnt for me and I distinctly remember all my problems began after that release.
Yeah that auto feature is turned off here, we have more than a few places where offramps and the like are very "shallow" so if you turn on the indicator and it is that automatic feature, it will not turn off by itself.

My problem is with the "manual" comfort flashing, where you "halfcock" the flasher arm and it does 3 flashes. This is the feature that is really hit'n'miss here.

Reactions: bruce4000
I’ve also experienced this. I would say atleast 1/3 of the time it takes multiple attempts to engage the indicator.
Well thats both good and bad.

Good, because it's not just me suddenly after many years and cars, being unable to do it "right"

Bad, because then it is unlikely that it will do any good if Tesla changed the stalk.

I was wondering how the new steering wheel without the stalk works with this.

I see it has already received a LOT of flak, because it makes it harder, for example to blink when exiting a roundabout, where your steering wheel is turned when you need to indicate.

More specifically i wonder if the comfort flasher function is completely gone now, and your only option for comfort flashing is the equally bad auto-flasher, that does not turn off the flashers if turning onto a shallow offramp for example.

I saw elsewhere on here (Turn Signal intermittently doesn't work) that it seems to be that you have to hold the stalk there for just a fraction of a second for it to "take". I experimented with it on the way home today and that definitely seems to be the case. If I was fast enough I could bottom the stalk out and not get a blinker. Add to it that the turn signal clicks are too faint in Joe mode and I've apparently been driving around like either a jerk or a 90 year old...

I spoke too soon. My blinkers are not behaving the same as they used to either. Quite frankly, I'm tired of Tesla changing things. I almost look forward to legacy manufacturers just so I can own a car whose UI doesn't change every quarter.

So... in Controls > Autopilot (I think), there's something like "Auto turn signals" > Off / Auto cancel... Make sure you turn this to OFF... "Auto cancel" seems to entirely remove the half press functionality of the blinker stalk.

I spoke too soon. My blinkers are not behaving the same as they used to either. Quite frankly, I'm tired of Tesla changing things. I almost look forward to legacy manufacturers just so I can own a car whose UI doesn't change every quarter.

So... in Controls > Autopilot (I think), there's something like "Auto turn signals" > Off / Auto cancel... Make sure you turn this to OFF... "Auto cancel" seems to entirely remove the half press functionality of the blinker stalk.
Yes that one i already set to off not long after taking delivery.

It is in theory a great function that is just let down by the fact that it does not always work either.

Where i live there are a few very "shallow" offramps from the motorway, when i engaged the blinker there, and exited the motorway, the blinker would definitively not self-cancel.

I guess it is still looking at the rotation of the steering wheel and the threshold (How many degrees of rotation) is set to high, i simply do not turn the wheel enough make it think i made the turn.

I also seem to remember that i had to do lane changes with some vigor, it would not cancel if i did a gentle lane change for some reason.

I wonder if this function is the only option for self cancelling comfort flashing, available on the new highland cars with touch buttons instead of a stalk.

If so, thats just another reason to not get one of those

The turn signals won't work if it's lots of traffic on the LIN network. Just hit the indicator fast. Sometimes you can hit it 3-4 times fast! Without anything happening .
"People" said tesla recently changed something in the LIN from 10ms to 5ms recently. This have been a problem for Tesla for years. That's why model S headlights don't turn on at the same time etc.

This get worse for every update you car get. Because Tesla keep loosing the good old engineers and sw people.
Just watch some of the latest model S plaid videos from tesla. The headlights on the S really shows how bad it's gotten.

This is a video for showing people how bad this is on 3 and Y.
Model 3p 2021

This is from Teslas video.

Not a "big issue". But annoying when you notice :p

Tesla removing "3 blink " is really annoying. But as said. Tesla is done making good cars and software. Sometimes they add some useful things(Bluetooth menu. Wifi menu) .
But most of the time, they remove good stuff. Throttle response. Low speed torque etc etc. Some X tesla employees called this fenomen "a Indian spice" mafia. (I didn't know what he meant before I saw people complaining about the same thing happened over at Apple).
Just to show how bad it's gotten on the drivetrain side...
This is a refresh X vs 2019 X.
How is it possible to not get the AWD to work at low speed? I have removed a ton of gravel. And put sand in my driveway, so my refresh X won't get stucked! Lots of plastic broken because of this.

Edit :
Let me throw in how awful steering the refresh cars also have.. The refresh S X and 3 have this steering.. I don't understand why I have to order a model Y. Just to get a "sport car steering" lol.