Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Audio streaming volume problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At first I thought it was a problem with the android operating system, changing volume based on stream content.

Then I thought it was the podcast app that I was using. I contacted the support for the app, and they responded quickly that the app does not change the phone volume in any way.

Now i find out that it's Tesla changing the phone's volume.

It triggers the change on end of song, and also on end of commercial embedded within the stream. So there must be some sort of signal that Tesla is detecting and doing something with. I even had one podcast play the 3 minute intro, and jump to the beginning and play it again. But it was seamless so it seemed correct. Until it played it a third time.

Well, at least, it's not TuneIn, which starts every podcast over from the beginning whenever I get in the car. And then there's no way to know which ones you've already listened to.

I'm on the latest April update in my 2013 Model S and this is still an issue. I'm really upset with Tesla on this one...just fix the damn Bluetooth drivers already. This is the most annoying bug I have ever dealt with in my Tesla.

It's been an issue since October 2019.

Last edited:
When I first got my car, this wasn't an issue. The Bluetooth volume on my iPhone stayed at 100% and the volume knob on the steering wheel adjusted the stereo volume accordingly, but there was a Tesla software update a while back that synchronized the car stereo volume with that of the phone. In other words, if the car stereo was set to 50% volume, the phone's Bluetooth volume would also be set to 50%, so I'm really getting 50% of 50%, or 25%. The result is low audio output until you get to nearly 100% when all of a sudden the volume steps become huge. There's also an annoying lag between volume knob movement and loudness.

Is there any way to force iOS to output Bluetooth audio at 100% all the time?

That's not quite the way it should work, and not the way it works for me (I just sat in my car and tested it carefully with my iPhone).

Basically volume control with Apple devices using BT (and other audio outputs) can work in one of four ways:

(A) The phone adjusts the outgoing digital audio data to reduce the sound level (crudely speaking, for 50% volume it divides each data sample by 2 etc). The external device has no means of volume control at all.
(B) Same as A, except the external device does have an independent means of volume control (the car, in this case). This is the "battling volume controls" mode that confuses consumers (one down low, one up high etc).
(C) The phone sends the digital audio data as-is, and relies on the external device (speaker, car etc) to control the volume. In this case the volume control on the Apple device is disabled (grayed out etc) and always shows 100% (this happens with some computer displays on Macs for example).
(D) The phone sends the digital audio data as-is, but uses a BT control protocol to communicate the desired volume to the device (remote volume control). In this case the volume control is available on the Apple device, but is in fact remotely controlling the volume in the device (there is no alteration of the digital audio data unlike in A or B).

Mode A is not good since it compromises sound quality as a result of rounding errors when adjusting the digital stream (there are ways to mitigate this, but they are all compromises). Mode B is worse, since you introduce confusion for the consumer as well as degrading the sound even more. Mode C is good from a sound perspective, but annoys consumers since the phone volume control is non-functional. Mode D provides the fidelity of Mode C but also the convenience of "control anywhere", and is the preferred mode.

The intent of the change by Tesla was to go from mode B (two independent volume controls) to mode D. Note that, for D, when you see the Phone and Tesla volume both at 50%, you are not (or at least should not be) at 25% because actually you are seeing the same volume control (on the Tesla) set to 50% in two places; they dont cascade (unlike in B).

In my testing, it was clear that in my case the car is using mode D correctly. The volume controls tracked as expected, and the sound level was where it should be (pretty loud at 50%), and comparable to the same tracks played via USB flash drive. I looked hard for any setting on the iPhone or Tesla that might change this, and didn't find anything obvious, so I'm at a loss to understand why its not working for you as it is for me.

As others have noted, Tesla have said this is a bug, so it's possible it's a different software version (I'm on 2020.16.2.1), or iPhone (iOS 13.5), or perhaps isolated to certain phone models.

• Informative
Reactions: turok3000
I installed 2020.16.2.1 last night on my Model S AP1 car, and to my surprise, I think Telsa reverted back to the previous implementation and fixed this. It is still very early in my testing, but I'm not seeing the fluctuating audio levels anymore. Anyone else want to confirm my findings?

I installed 2020.16.2.1 last night on my Model S AP1 car, and to my surprise, I think Telsa reverted back to the previous implementation and fixed this. It is still very early in my testing, but I'm not seeing the fluctuating audio levels anymore. Anyone else want to confirm my findings?
Give it some time, it may take up to a day for the issue to crop up again.

Now that I'm on 16.2.1, I can't reproduce it anymore, either. Also, album art may be better displayed while streaming from my Pixel 3XL, but that could also be my imagination.

As far as I know, Tesla doesn't rely on the Bluetooth connection for album artwork. Instead, it downloads it through it's own service based on the song name, which ends up screwing it up most of the time.

Also, Tesla pushed another update to me a couple days ago: 2020.20.1

I'll let you guys know if the problem comes back.

As far as I know, Tesla doesn't rely on the Bluetooth connection for album artwork. Instead, it downloads it through it's own service based on the song name, which ends up screwing it up most of the time.

Also, Tesla pushed another update to me a couple days ago: 2020.20.1

I'll let you guys know if the problem comes back.

No, it does pull cover art from the phone via Bluetooth (I just checked with some unique cover art that it could not have got hold of anywhere else). What it might do is try to get cover art from one of the online databases if it can't find any art in the song stream.

Note that some apps (like iTunes) sometimes "attach" cover art to a song without actually installing it in the song file. This can mean that the cover art is lost depending upon what device it is being played from. (In the case of iTunes its complicated depending on where the song file is located.)

Reactions: tga