Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Phone Call Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took deliver of a new S60 in December. The audio quality when making a bluetooth phone call is horrible. People can hear me fine but they sound bad to me. It only sounds bad from the 2 passenger front and rear speakers. It sounds like the speakers are blown, they make a distorted rattle/screeching sound.

The speakers only sound like this over bluetooth phone calls. Radio and even playing music sounds fine. Tesla reset the bluetooth module and said it resolved the issue but after a few calls I can say for sure it is not resolved.

Is this the norm? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I am using an iPhone 6 Plus with latest version of iOS if that matters.

I also have terrible voice quality, using the Bluetooth speaker phone. Apple speaker phone is perfect on the same call, but over the Telsa speakerphone, other party hears such dropouts as to inhibit further conversations. Sometimes a useful feature.

j

I only have trouble with one particular person who calls me with their iPhone 6. They tell me I sound like I'm in a tunnel and I can barely hear them at all. Everyone else, even with an iPhone 6 and on the same carrier, sound fine on my car. I don't know what's wrong with that one particular caller, but I've decided to stop taking their calls when in my car.

Try having both parties turn “Phone Noise Cancelation” OFF on their phone.

It’s under Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Phone Noise Cancelation

For some reason, some cars built in phone noise cancelation conflicts with the phones noise cancelation.

Also, try lowering the volume in your car as much as you can, but still hear them comfortably. Note: Phone call volume is a separate volume. Adjust it during a call on the car. If it’s too loud the feed back cancelation gets over worked. It can cause phrases to get clipped, wierd echos and other artifacts.

One more, on some carriers (e.g. Verizon) you can optionally turn OFF “Voice Over LTE”, it will often give you better and more consistent call quality. But you will lose Simultanious Voice and DATA if you disable it. It goes by different names. And might not be available on your carrier or phone.

For Verizon iPhone it’s under Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE -> Data Only. If it doesn’t show on Verizon iPhone it (HD Voice) is not enabled on your account. It’s nice to have both options. Try both ways, it’s very local dependent which will work best.

• Informative
Reactions: MC408
Bumping this thread. Anyone who had bad phone call quality take their car to a SC?

Anything they can do to fix it?

I have. To be clear, my problem is with distortion resonating from the door speakers while on phone calls. The SC added additional insulation and tightened the speaker mounts. Things sounded better for a while but the problem eventually came back to the same severity.

The funny thing is I can turn a song up to full volume with a lot of bass and will not hear any distortion. I ordered a set of BA Desing Works door speakers that I’m hoping will address this issue. I should be installing them this week. Will report back.

I had the left rear door speaker do that. It only vibrated at certain voice frequencies and didn't tend to vibrate from music. Tesla tried tightening down the speaker, but when the problem came back, they replaced it. If the car is out of warranty you can probably get a speaker from a wreck pull, or possibly a new one from Tesla direct. There are videos out there on how to get the door panels apart.