Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW I3 with Range extender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
Any tesla owners here either own or owned an I3 with the "rex"? Considering a used one and just now reading up again, since my mind has changed an AWFUL lot in the last few yrs..

I'm shopping for a second car, a bridge gapper, so to speak. Until EV's become more attainable and chargeable. WE own the Y, drive it like crazy. All in on EV. But second car isnt worth spending 50k yet, because here in rural america the charge network is less than Ideal, unless its a Tesla. Also, I am on two wheels 8-9 months of the year so it makes little sense to spend alot.

I originally admired the I3, but didn't work for my wife's commute. A few years later, it might work for mine. Plus I think it looks cool.

MY commute is 20 miles round trip 90% hwy. Add 40 hwy miles to it for soccer coaching in the fall. Puts me at 60. I think this might be the ticket in the interim.

Ive found one locally, a 2015. What should I know about them?

There are several YouTube videos with various types of user experiences.
If you have children seating on the back seats, and there is no passenger,
you will need to open the passenger door and then the right rear door which can be tricky.

Coming from Tesla, the major issue is the range and the slow charging.
City driving should be fine, if you can charge at home,
or if there is a L2 charger at a walking distance from your home or your work.
Living in an apartment with no charging capability nearby can be a nightmare.

I'm not sure if the Rex is really worthwhile, as you might never use it and carry extra weight.
The Rex is an extra worry to have, while an electrical motor doesn't requires any maintenance.
Also with the cost of gas, you might hesitate using it.

The space for the Rex could be used for storage, and many users build or install a box in this location
There are many Youtube videos showing users installing a new battery with a larger capacity.

Another option would be getting the Mini-E if you can find one for a similar price.

Last edited:
3rds on the REX sentiment. It's a waste and troublesome. You're carrying around a few hundred pounds of dead weight. The early cars had some issues with the plumbing and ac but was sorted iirc, warranty. My neighbor had an early i3. I've driven it a few times. It drove decently... it's not going to win any races but it does the job. I toyed with the idea of getting a late model i3 S for my kid with the big battery which is good for around 140 miles at 70mph. Also these things were incredibly over priced when new/sold... used values are palatable but still overpriced imo.

60 miles in the winter without a REx might be a stretch unless you get the larger battery pack.

We were in search of a longer range EV to replace our Fiat 500e and Cadillac ELR PHEV. We ended up getting a second Model 3 - a mid range with FSD and 45,000 miles for $38k. More expensive than an i3, but less expensive than a new Tesla. We’re really glad we went for the second Tesla.

Reactions: Peelz
We have owned three i3 over the past 9 years, the first 2 were pure BEVs, and the last one a REX.
We've had zero trouble with the two BEVs, but the REX has more frequent service requirements, plus we currently have an "engine check light" instance with the 2019 REX. No big deal, but it requires a dealer visit to clear it.
The extra range is not worth the extra complication of the little gas engine.
Get a BEV. The later year ones have a decent range.

Talking about the BMW i3 bring back so many memories.

BMW seems to have taken a good start, the i3 with its remarkably strong body shell,
made out of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP), was very promising.
Its Achilles heel was certainly its price, I believe in 2014 was around $50k,
which very close to a Tesla Model S 60kWh.

The BMW i8 Plug-in Hybrid Coupe was also an outstanding beauty,
but suffered from high price and poor performance.

I think BMW should have continue the "Electronauts" program
using the BMW 1Series ActiveE which was looking like any other BMW,
and extended it to other models.

At that time the only BEV were basically the Nissan Leaf and the Tesla Model S.
It is a pity that BMW cancelled all the future i-based new BEV concepts, to focus instead
on plug-in electric vehicles and even started to integrate Toyota Mirai hydrogen technology.

Thanks everyone! Ill keep digging. I dont "need" a car until January next year, when son # 2 needs to drive for sports.

Not worth it for a NEW one though. If I spend that much, id just get another tesla. I'm looking at 20-25k. USED. I read somewhere Beemer are canceling it this year anyways.

the 60 mile EV range will work perfect for me every day, But on coaching days, the 'rex" is there to get me there then home on the colder days. We don't have a reliable charging system outside tesla superchargers which are right across from my work. Maybe 4-5 level 2's, Only one of which is in my path, and its slow, and/or always in use lol

Again, don't want to spend Tesla money because the car will get used sparingly while I ride my motorcycle, plus its a "gap car" I'm awaiting first drive of Rivians, cybertruck and F150 lightning(reportedly coming in next month). It Should be noted, My older son and I are BMW motorcycle nuts. The "rex" engine is derived from the same basic motor as his bike (im a boxer fanatic) I'm not afraid of that. Being out of warranty, a little concerning but again-researching.

to simplify, its a cost vs dispatch vs usage question. How much will I use it, how much did I pay for it, and how many situations will it not work? The plain EV I3 is no bueno I think at this point, due to lack of charging. I'm considering other PHEV's now too, but. They're kinda blah I like the weird, instantly recognizable machines.

Actually. I just mapped it... my total ROUND trip for the whole thing, even on soccer coaching days in the neighboring town is 52 miles(40-ish hwy) Right now, i'm driving the old 2012 Nissan Pathfinder at 17-18 mpg. The switch would be noticeable.

again thanks for the feedback.

60 miles in the winter without a REx might be a stretch unless you get the larger battery pack.

We were in search of a longer range EV to replace our Fiat 500e and Cadillac ELR PHEV. We ended up getting a second Model 3 - a mid range with FSD and 45,000 miles for $38k. More expensive than an i3, but less expensive than a new Tesla. We’re really glad we went for the second Tesla.

I went and looked at SR+ 2018, 29k miles.. They wanted $46k. Has the chrome deleted via black wrap-poorly done. I couldnt do it. Its the basic car. White/black interior... blah. I could order new for not much more.

BUt i dont drive enough for that to be worth it right now.

I had one for a month. It was an interesting car for sure. It was surprisingly spacious inside. The motorcycle engine hummed in the back when it was charging the battery. Build quality was pretty decent and the body structure felt super strong. The narrow wheels though were a nightmare over city streets. The ride quality kind of suffered because of it.

GF has a 2017 i3Rex. I drive it some times and find it to be a good and nimble city car.

It is a quirky little thing, I call her shopping cart.

It is not in the same league as a Tesla, but has it's own personality.

Few paid the full list price new, as it came with a $7,500 tax credit plus a $10,000 local Utility instant rebate. They now sell used at reasonable price.

They carry a small premium over their competitors because they are a BMW plus unique style and capabilities.

We usually charge at home with a simple 120V plug in.

The Rex is used often on longer trips and comes in handy. Does as advertised by kicking in when your battery is depleted. 95% of trips done with battery alone.

Little hatch back design allows room for 4, or carries a load of shopping goods with the back seat folded down.

It is peppy, handles well, quiet and good enough for most trips.

The suicide doors work out pretty well, and give it some personality.

Sounds like it might be a good choice for the OP.

GF has a 2017 i3Rex. I drive it some times and find it to be a good and nimble city car.

It is a quirky little thing, I call her shopping cart.

It is not in the same league as a Tesla, but has it's own personality.

Few paid the full list price new, as it came with a $7,500 tax credit plus a $10,000 local Utility instant rebate. They now sell used at reasonable price.

They carry a small premium over their competitors because they are a BMW plus unique style and capabilities.

We usually charge at home with a simple 120V plug in.

The Rex is used often on longer trips and comes in handy. Does as advertised by kicking in when your battery is depleted. 95% of trips done with battery alone.

Little hatch back design allows room for 4, or carries a load of shopping goods with the back seat folded down.

It is peppy, handles well, quiet and good enough for most trips.

The suicide doors work out pretty well, and give it some personality.

Sounds like it might be a good choice for the OP.

Yes a cheaper used one for sure. The first I looked at was semi-local. A 2015, with 46k on it. I might go drive it, see whats up.

There wont be a car in the same league as a tesla, in my opinion. But its a HUGE overspend for the usage. maybe later on. Get my wife a better EV-her every day commute is farther, she drives the Y now, maybe Ill take it over for me. :) But in january, need something frugal (but not boring-not the easiest thing to find)

We have owned three i3 over the past 9 years, the first 2 were pure BEVs, and the last one a REX.
We've had zero trouble with the two BEVs, but the REX has more frequent service requirements, plus we currently have an "engine check light" instance with the 2019 REX. No big deal, but it requires a dealer visit to clear it.
The extra range is not worth the extra complication of the little gas engine.
Get a BEV. The later year ones have a decent range.

I would, but this leaves me NO option other than to go out of my way to the level 2 and sit on my thumbs. LoL

The gas engine is a draw for me, it widens the usage envelope.

I drove a 2017 model one for 3 years without much issue. I paid $28k for the car with 8000 miles on it and it had every option except adaptive cruise control. In terms of BMW reliability, it was great. I had a fuel tank pressure sensor and charge port door motor fail, both of which were replaced under warranty. I needed the Rex as a crutch to lean on to see whether or not I could live with an electric car and that was really the only point for me having it. I probably bought 10 gallons of gas in those 3 years, most of which was used for the routine duty cycling of the engine.
I personally would be uncomfortable with 120 miles of range and no back up but that's just me.

I drove a 2017 model one for 3 years without much issue. I paid $28k for the car with 8000 miles on it and it had every option except adaptive cruise control. In terms of BMW reliability, it was great. I had a fuel tank pressure sensor and charge port door motor fail, both of which were replaced under warranty. I needed the Rex as a crutch to lean on to see whether or not I could live with an electric car and that was really the only point for me having it. I probably bought 10 gallons of gas in those 3 years, most of which was used for the routine duty cycling of the engine.
I personally would be uncomfortable with 120 miles of range and no back up but that's just me.

Your experience describes my current feelings towards it as well.

As a family were all in on Tesla. Full blown Love affair with the Model Y so far. 23k miles since June. But budget wise, a second 60k full ev car makes NO sense.

Ive considered the KIa and hyundai but a NON tesla EV is ill advised here unless you live and work in same town, and don't have too many responsibilities with variable travel. At the end of the day, it might prove to me that I need not have worried. Ill be just as happy should that be the case.

I have that 52 mile max commute, but whos to say I dont get called back into work or something, or get invited to dinner and drinks with friends, and need to get there. The gas backup car seems to be the perfect solution for our second vehicle, until the charge network catches up out here in the armpit of america.

on the research path...

Looking at a few other PHEV options. Looking used, under or near $30k MAX. Volt and Prius prime....The prices are similar. All the used Volts I looked at were high mileage. And that ocean of greasy looking black plastic GM interiors. bleh. I feel like its a decent car and the specs work great but, meh. Prius Prime is a good option, and I can get the interesting white interior(rare) but for the same price as the I3 basically, and less Electric range. However, with WAY more total range, its my second favorite option, the functionality is pretty obvious. Support probably easier to get.

I dig the I3 in the white/black/blue color combo, it fairly matches my BMW R1200RS as well. So if I DO go that way, i want that color or blue. Light interior, and sunroof, 94 or 120a versions with rex. Not the most easy things to find, but ill be searching. The features I want Make it 2017 or newer. Iv'e found one in MN. $31k. Again, not in any kind of hurry here and not set in stone on the I3, Just need a car by January. Also, my 15 yr old says its tiny, ugly and nerdy lol Do I care?

6000000002.jpg

ouhnggb3doe81.jpg

Any tesla owners here either own or owned an I3 with the "rex"? Considering a used one and just now reading up again, since my mind has changed an AWFUL lot in the last few yrs..

I'm shopping for a second car, a bridge gapper, so to speak. Until EV's become more attainable and chargeable. WE own the Y, drive it like crazy. All in on EV. But second car isnt worth spending 50k yet, because here in rural america the charge network is less than Ideal, unless its a Tesla. Also, I am on two wheels 8-9 months of the year so it makes little sense to spend alot.

I originally admired the I3, but didn't work for my wife's commute. A few years later, it might work for mine. Plus I think it looks cool.

MY commute is 20 miles round trip 90% hwy. Add 40 hwy miles to it for soccer coaching in the fall. Puts me at 60. I think this might be the ticket in the interim.

Ive found one locally, a 2015. What should I know about them?

I have a 2015 ReX i3, and will be getting a M3LR soon. I can recommend!

If you already have a Tesla for longer trips, the BMW i3 is pretty great. The main upside is that it's compact on outside but pretty decently shaped & sized on the inside, and the interior is great: aesthetic, and very open. If you think of it as a 2 door car with very large openings (there is no B pillar, and you look directly into a carbon fiber ringed opening) vs an inconvenient 4-door car it makes sense.

Seats not as comfortable as Model 3. Stupendous turning circle! Agile, light and quick up to 50 mph. Can find parking spots that others can't use (I will really miss this). Compared to Tesla low speed acceleration by 'butt' feel is quite good, but gives up at higher speeds: it's definitely a 'city car'.

UI is less advanced than Tesla obviously but the feel and layout is ergonomic, better than all the rest of the corporate BMW (comparing to a BMW 5-series loaner for example). The ACC is of course much more primitive than Tesla autopilot, it has a camera-only TACC and no autosteer.

It's a must to download some "Bimmerlink" apps and software unlock certain features on the 2015 model (go the i3 forums) that are available in Europe: i.e. up the gasoline capacity to full 2.4 gallons (limited by California regulation) and have the option to turn on the range extender manually under 75% charge.

The main downside is tires & ride. Skinny large diameter tires and very few choices. I have the 20", with summer tires. At proper inflation to get good efficiency it does poorly over rough roads. The tires seem to attract punctures and damage easily---most of my tires have failed to reach old age and needed to be replaced due to damage and not wear. Also the skinny tires make it less stable on the highway, requiring more steering correction.

Strongly recommend the 19" wheels if you can, avoid the 20". I once had a service loaner with 19" tires and it was much smoother.

BMW had developed its own internal 'i' division a long time ago, in 2010 or so to make advanced cars without the traditional BMW bureaucracy and legacy thinking. They were very good and amazingly ahead---the i3 was introduced in 2013 at the same time as the Tesla Model S. But BMW internally shitcanned the 'i' division and its personnel dissipated and they did nothing with that early lead, and Tesla had Elon Musk pushing them to achieve the future.

The i3 is still being sold in Europe with very few changes (other than larger battery) for significantly longer without a new generation than any other BMW (9 years). There is no advertising and yet sales were going *up* year over year, not down. This is a car that people like despite BMW diesel-heads.

You can see the Mazda MX-30 as a pathetic, slow, re-implementation of this idea.

Oh, one more downside for the 2015 model. It has a 3G cell data modem which no longer functions in the USA because of carrier network upgrades. And BMW offers no replacement. All remote features just stopped working a few weeks ago. Later years (not sure which, check i3 forums) have modems which can be upgraded or are still working.

I have a 2015 ReX i3, and will be getting a M3LR soon. I can recommend!

If you already have a Tesla for longer trips, the BMW i3 is pretty great. The main upside is that it's compact on outside but pretty decently shaped & sized on the inside, and the interior is great: aesthetic, and very open. If you think of it as a 2 door car with very large openings (there is no B pillar, and you look directly into a carbon fiber ringed opening) vs an inconvenient 4-door car it makes sense.

Seats not as comfortable as Model 3. Stupendous turning circle! Agile, light and quick up to 50 mph. Can find parking spots that others can't use (I will really miss this). Compared to Tesla low speed acceleration by 'butt' feel is quite good, but gives up at higher speeds: it's definitely a 'city car'.

UI is less advanced than Tesla obviously but the feel and layout is ergonomic, better than all the rest of the corporate BMW (comparing to a BMW 5-series loaner for example). The ACC is of course much more primitive than Tesla autopilot, it has a camera-only TACC and no autosteer.

It's a must to download some "Bimmerlink" apps and software unlock certain features on the 2015 model (go the i3 forums) that are available in Europe: i.e. up the gasoline capacity to full 2.4 gallons (limited by California regulation) and have the option to turn on the range extender manually under 75% charge.

The main downside is tires & ride. Skinny large diameter tires and very few choices. I have the 20", with summer tires. At proper inflation to get good efficiency it does poorly over rough roads. The tires seem to attract punctures and damage easily---most of my tires have failed to reach old age and needed to be replaced due to damage and not wear. Also the skinny tires make it less stable on the highway, requiring more steering correction.

Strongly recommend the 19" wheels if you can, avoid the 20". I once had a service loaner with 19" tires and it was much smoother.

BMW had developed its own internal 'i' division a long time ago, in 2010 or so to make advanced cars without the traditional BMW bureaucracy and legacy thinking. They were very good and amazingly ahead---the i3 was introduced in 2013 at the same time as the Tesla Model S. But BMW internally shitcanned the 'i' division and its personnel dissipated and they did nothing with that early lead, and Tesla had Elon Musk pushing them to achieve the future.

The i3 is still being sold in Europe with very few changes (other than larger battery) for significantly longer without a new generation than any other BMW (9 years). There is no advertising and yet sales were going *up* year over year, not down. This is a car that people like despite BMW diesel-heads.

You can see the Mazda MX-30 as a pathetic, slow, re-implementation of this idea.

Oh, one more downside for the 2015 model. It has a 3G cell data modem which no longer functions in the USA because of carrier network upgrades. And BMW offers no replacement. All remote features just stopped working a few weeks ago. Later years (not sure which, check i3 forums) have modems which can be upgraded or are still working.
we have a 2014 Rex with almost 70K miles. I agree 100% with this poster. It is a perfect complement to our Model S - a better errand/city car - easy to park and drive in city streets. Not as comfortable and nowhere near as good for highway driving. Given it’s shape and age it is remarkably efficient - about 250kw/mi for us (again mostly city driving).