Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If so they need to start the planning and preparation NOW. They need to discuss purchasing the batteries from Panasonic, Samsung, LG or BYD. Among other components from suppliers.

Since they can't do all this in house we would hear something about it. We don't. The only exception is if they plan a tiny niche run of cars. If so then it is no big deal to sell a few subsidized compliance cars in California and Germany.

BTW Base Model Gen III will be AT LEAST 200 mile range. A price drop in batteries may be large in enough by the Gen III roll out that the range may be higher.

Will BMW et all offer UNLIMITED Supercharging for price of car or one time payment($2.5K)?

The problem with this point of view is that in order to own an 80 mile range EV, most people will have to own two cars. Then the overall transportation cost isn't that cheap anymore. Do you currently own an EV?

The Model S is our only car, and there is no need for a backup ICE car(if we had one, it would just sit and rot). Even if someone did have a backup car(for whatever reason), they are not going to drive it instead of the Model S, because any other ICE car just feels like such a POS after driving the model S.

If you need two car for various reasons then EV (80-100 miles) can go everywhere for daily work & other places. You are going to use ICE or hybrid for long drives or places out of EV range.

It is cost effective all the way even if you have one model S compare to one 80-100 miles EV and hybrid or good mileage ICE.

Again, everybody thinks differently and needs are unique :wink:

the more I see of the i3 the more I like the 500e for a city car. Although I also expect that these smaller battery sizes will have more rapid degradation vs. tesla due to deeper cycles - basically if you are driving 50miles a day that would be 90% to 40% on one of these cars vs. 90% to maybe ~60% on the 60kWh.

today's autoblog "first drive" of the i3 was almost painful to read
2014 BMW i3 First Drive - Autoblog

the more I see of the i3 the more I like the 500e for a city car. Although I also expect that these smaller battery sizes will have more rapid degradation vs. tesla due to deeper cycles - basically if you are driving 50miles a day that would be 90% to 40% on one of these cars vs. 90% to maybe ~60% on the 60kWh.

today's autoblog "first drive" of the i3 was almost painful to read
2014 BMW i3 First Drive - Autoblog

OUCH!! That has to be the worst review of a newly released car I have ever read!

While reading the regen section of that review I kept waiting for "which reminds us quickly of the Model S (and the Roadster)". The absence of that makes me question the author's credibility as a reviewer. If you haven't driven the Model S before reviewing the i3 where the hell have you been for the last year?

BMW's battery is obviously a lot more advanced. According to their tests the Tesla's 18650 cell will suffer from depletion over time whereas the i3 cell should still work 20 years from now.

After 27K miles driving an ActiveE I can attest that the max capacity of the batteries has already degraded to about 90 miles per charge. We also own an 85kWh Model S. Both may "work" 20 years from now, but I'd put even money odds that the 85kWh Model S will go more than 100 miles after 20 years of daily use, while the ActiveE has already failed to reach 100 miles after only 1.5 years of daily use.

So even if the i3's batteries are more advanced than the Model S's, by starting with so much less capacity any degradation has a much greater impact on utility.

Last edited:
After 27K miles driving an ActiveE I can attest that the max capacity of the batteries has already degraded to about 90 miles per charge. We also own an 85kWh Model S. Both may "work" 20 years from now, but I'd put even money odds that the 85kWh Model S will go more than 100 miles after 20 years of daily use, while the ActiveE has already failed to reach 100 miles after only 1.5 years of daily use.

So even if the i3's batteries are more advanced than the Model S's, by starting with so much less capacity any degradation has a much greater impact on utility.

I've been rated as high as 100+ by the guessometer thanks to LA traffic, but it's really not BMW driving.... I wonder if weather has affected your ActiveE more than mine. Southern California is pretty forgiving for weather depending on what part you live in or travel in. The deserts and valleys are pretty unforgiving for the heat, but closer to the coast is normally pretty pleasant. I didn't start noticing much degradation in the Active E until the mid 30s than in the 20s.

Now comes the hard part, figuring out what EV to drive in a little under two weeks. Picking up our Model S from the Fremont Factory 11/8 and driving it up to Sonoma, then down to LA.

While reading the regen section of that review I kept waiting for "which reminds us quickly of the Model S (and the Roadster)". The absence of that makes me question the author's credibility as a reviewer. If you haven't driven the Model S before reviewing the i3 where the hell have you been for the last year?

The author hasn't driven the Model S because Tesla has not offered him the opportunity. This despite the fact that AutoblogGreen has been quite thoroughly covering the company, and taking them seriously, longer than pretty much any other publication. He has driven a Roadster, though, when someone else headed media relations.

He has driven a number of other electrics.

The author hasn't driven the Model S because Tesla has not offered him the opportunity. This despite the fact that AutoblogGreen has been quite thoroughly covering the company, and taking them seriously, longer than pretty much any other publication. He has driven a Roadster, though, when someone else headed media relations.

He has driven a number of other electrics.
Anyone can walk in to a Tesla store and drive a model S at this point in time. It's just journalistic laziness that happened here.

If you need two car for various reasons then EV (80-100 miles) can go everywhere for daily work & other places. You are going to use ICE or hybrid for long drives or places out of EV range.

It is cost effective all the way even if you have one model S compare to one 80-100 miles EV and hybrid or good mileage ICE.

Again, everybody thinks differently and needs are unique :wink:

It is more cost effective to buy one Honda Civic or two. A three year old Ford Focus ICE is even more cost effective. VW TDI too. $70k-$130K sedans are not about being cost effective.

City EVs reduction in range over time is more significant as a percentage of total range.

Needs are similar enough to categorize. So are the way people think. Some people think "unique" is way too common.

Also keep in mind he could come onto any number of forums, especially this one, state that he's a journalist from Autoblog and he'd find an owner nearby willing to let him test drive their car in hours if not minutes.

Typically how it works is, manufacturers work with a publication's fleet managers to get vehicles to writers. That's how Tesla works with publications like Motor Trend, Car & Driver and many others. (In certain cases manufacturers will fly in journalists for special drive events, as in the case of the BMW i3.) Writers, especially editors-in-chief, don't usually have time to chase down cars through online forums. Our editor-in-chief spends so much time traveling, I can't figure out how he gets everything he does done.

In the case of Tesla, Autoblog – not even our small Green corner of it – had to wrangle some arrangement through an owner to do an original piece. That particular story, I might add, produced some of the best photography ever done of the Model S and has been "borrowed" by thousands all over the internet. Still, for what ever reason, we don't seem to be worthy of Tesla's attention.

Which is fine. We still write about them as much or more than anyone else and are happy about their achievements as a company and look forward to the big changes we think they are bringing to the automotive sector. I just wish they'd give us a chance to spend some quality time with one of their cars.

In the case of Tesla, Autoblog – not even our small Green corner of it – had to wrangle some arrangement through an owner to do an original piece. That particular story, I might add, produced some of the best photography ever done of the Model S and has been "borrowed" by thousands all over the internet. Still, for what ever reason, we don't seem to be worthy of Tesla's attention.

The pictures are fantastic!