Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW I4 prices and specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still way more expensive than a Model 3 though? The entry level car starts at £52k, although it's probably closer to an M3 LR in some specs (range), but notably slower than an M3 LR and is actually more akin to the SR+ in other respects. Plus that front grille is a sin against humanity.
I know. I dont get the grill. You take a car that does not need a grill and stick a massive one on. surprised it doesn't have fake big bore exhausts as well!

I've been watching this closely for a while now. With pricing like that the M50 is taking aim at the M3P. I'm waiting for my M3P to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Will I cancel and look to get the M version based on this? Hell no. I'm sure its got the driving dynamics down to a T, BMW are great at that.

But

Ugly nose, not as quick and restricted infrastructure, its a no from me! But I'm sure it will appeal to many who just want a car that happens to be electric, rather than the iPad that happens to be a car. I know a lot of people outright refusing to look at Teslas because of, bad press, Musk, or just 'ugh Tesla' I got my father in law to test drive one as he was so negative, he wanted to throw it in my face that it was terrible. He ended up buying a LR before I got mine. But had this been around, I could see him going for that.

I've been a BMW person since a young lad, I still own my E46 M3 which I think, biased I know, is the best looking M3 still. Their designers have just got it all wrong on this one....I know you get used to something over time but that grill will never grow on me. After driving and experiencing Tesla for the first time, I look at the cockpit of the new BMW's now and think how dated they still look. Tesla were bold with their interior of the model 3 and it paid off because everything else just doesn't look morden anymore

I’m really not a fan of this regarding looks, although haven’t been a fan of BMs for years - and this is from an ex M135i driver (one of my favourite cars I have owned) - Wondering how much of the equipment will be optional that Tesla offers as standard. Prices starting from £51k for a model with similar range but significantly worse performance than the M3 LR AWD....I would stick with my LR

Sold my 420 gran coupe for my SR+. I like the gran coupe and while I don't like the styling, it might grow on me or they'll facelift it. Too rich for my blood but hopefully there will be a more affordable version in a few years when I might be looking for a replacement

I can't recall where I read this but apparently this huge front grill was designed in order to appease the Chinese market. Apparently in China if you own a BMW or a Merc or any other 'luxury' brand it needs to be obvious from miles away.......
Well now I guess there will be 2 man made things in China that you can see from space

Has Tesla got some magic electrons it uses because the m3p "only" makes 450bhp but does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds but the i4 with an extra 100bhp takes 3.9?
Fewer electrons in Tesla I would bet, of the type found whizzing around lithium, cobalt, iron, phosphorus etc, all adding up to a few hundred kilos less battery mass than the BMW.

That grille is a joke. It’s just a desperate attempt to pretend that something functional is also defining of the brand. ‘Cept it is completely pointless.

The BMW time is for 0-62mph (100kph) while the Tesla time includes 1 foot role out, so the car is actually doing a few mph when the timer starts. Essentially this is the difference between how Europe and US test their cars. WhatCar did some timed runs and got 3.5 seconds from standstill to 62mph in the model 3 performance, so the i4 M50 isn’t that far off (may be even be closer as BMW tends to quote conservative performance figures). On the subject of why the model 3 performance is so fast when it has ‘only‘ 450bhp, the simple answer is that has a lot more than that. Tesla no longer quite power output for the model 3, only acceleration times. Since the original 450bhp figure for the performance model 3 was quoted there’s been a couple of power boosts. Based on the information Tesla released, these should put the power around 490bhp. However dyno testing suggest about 522bhp at the wheels, so pretty close to the i4 M50. In day to day driving you aren‘t going to notice such small differences in performance as they are both going to be stupidly fast. You’d definitely notice that ugly grill on the i4 every day, though at least it is better looking than the BMW iX as that’s one really ugly car!

I quite like the grill. Don't like the diffuser area at the rear.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Ever wondered why the Model 3 is not available in green...

1622696641208.png

• Disagree
Reactions: PITA and m3p_uk