Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW I4 prices and specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it. Clearly that’s an unpopular opinion though!
Folk who just spent hard-earned on new model aren't going to willingly agree there may be a better choice (SuC netwrok apart). Last time I went looking at BMW's ( a few years now) I couldn't find a comfortable one for my size. At my seat position the central console was too high - left me feeling cramped - no elbow room. At least in the S I can stick my elbows on it. Apart from that the cockpits were all better appointed.

Folk who just spent hard-earned on new model aren't going to willingly agree there may be a better choice (SuC netwrok apart). Last time I went looking at BMW's ( a few years now) I couldn't find a comfortable one for my size. At my seat position the central console was too high - left me feeling cramped - no elbow room. At least in the S I can stick my elbows on it. Apart from that the cockpits were all better appointed.

I don’t necessarily think it looks better than the Model 3, I just think it looks good.

I’ve never owned a BMW but I’m a fan.

I don’t necessarily think it looks better than the Model 3, I just think it looks good.

I’ve never owned a BMW but I’m a fan.
A lot of auto makers are heightist. Last time car shopping for OH we planned on finding a car she liked that I could also be comfortable in should the need arise. Not a single BMW or Audi or Jag. She liked the EPace but my size 14 feet got wedged under the bulkhead between go and stop pedal use - just dangerous. On the other hand I can fit in the cheapest Toyota - a sensible approach to car making.

Cars can look very different depending on colours and I imagine that grill will be available in chrome and black- you could probably stealth the whole car out in black from the factory if you wanted to.

Performance - Tesla max out the numbers as high as they can whereas the Germans are notorious for underplaying the spec, plus the 2 foot roll out, and 0-60 v 0-62 differences - I recon the top spec car will be as quick as the M3P off the line.

The latest BMW tech is also pretty good, driving assistance is as good as EAP with traffic lights, speed limits, lane change etc. Tesla might leap ahead but seems it’s going backwards in the short-medium term as they drop radar

BMW co fund Ionity so they’re even building a charging network

it’s going to be interesting - choice is good

I wonder what market they focused on.

If it is successful in the USA or China but a flop in the UK then I fully believe BMW will be ecstatic.
Whereas if it is successful in the UK but a flop in the USA/ China then BMW will most probably be bankrupt.

Perhaps a slightly more subtle grille ala M1 would have pleased 'some' UK buyers but IMHO UK opinion wasn't very high up their list.

Nothing new here though, I remember when the Renault Megan was launched with the fat arse, took an age before it was accepted and started selling.

So do I think the grille looks too big? Big fat nope from me and I'm willing to bet it will sell well, what with the superior German bomb proof reliability and build quality. If you believe such drivel of course, and many do.

I do like it and it appears that the old guard manufacturers are closing the gap quicker than expected. Was set on an M3P for September, but might hold off to see the reviews on this.

Regards the styling, it's certainly not pleasing to the eye and the M3 looks significantly better from more angles (I really like the face on view). But I've seen a few 4 series specced in a dark colour with the black styling pack and it is slightly better looking. That said, I'm not sure I can live with it if I'm honest. Let's see.

Kinda wish Audi would release a baby RS e-tron....

I do like it and it appears that the old guard manufacturers are closing the gap quicker than expected. Was set on an M3P for September, but might hold off to see the reviews on this.
when they say 360 mile range I hear 200-250 between 20-80 charging stops on a road trip. Charging will still be the big elephant in the room whatever the car is like. I know that is not an issue for everyone but just saying.

Regards the styling, it's certainly not pleasing to the eye and the M3 looks significantly better from more angles (I really like the face on view). But I've seen a few 4 series specced in a dark colour with the black styling pack and it is slightly better looking. That said, I'm not sure I can live with it if I'm honest. Let's see.

Kinda wish Audi would release a baby RS e-tron....
The baby RS e-tron is likely to be based on the Audi A4 e-tron, though that isn't due until 2023, so maybe one for after your next car. If I was buying again I would take a look at the i4 and probably the Polestar 2 as well. Even though I'm not a fan of SUVs I'd be tempted to have a look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 as it does look interesting, is built on a dedicated ev platform (unlike the I4 and Polestar 2) and likely to be well built too. I'd probably still end up with a Tesla as the supercharger network removes any range concerns on long trips as. although it is improving, a reliable public charging network still isn't there yet.

I had a 330e and it was a good car, but not exceptional. The M3 I now have is so much better despite the Tesla ownership oddities that you quickly get used to. I was a passenger in the rear of a diesel 3 series yesterday, noisy, slow, very cramped and a useful reminder of how much better the model 3 is. My opinion only, others are just as valid!

Reactions: Finndoc
It's all too little too late from BMW. They are late to the party, and as expected, are missing the entire point.
Keeping their cars visually looking the same way is just them demonstrating there unwillingness to innovate and create exciting new EV cars.

And why do they even need that ugly grille on the front of an EV? What are they trying to cool down?
If it's just about maintaining brand design, then they can keep it!
(FYI, I sold my BMW 330d for a Model3LR, and i've never never looked back)

"costs from £51,905", "Up to 367 miles of range"
This clearly shows it will be no competition for the Model 3.

It's all too little too late from BMW. They are late to the party, and as expected, are missing the entire point.
Keeping their cars visually looking the same way is just them demonstrating there unwillingness to innovate and create exciting new EV cars.

And why do they even need that ugly grille on the front of an EV? What are they trying to cool down?
If it's just about maintaining brand design, then they can keep it!
(FYI, I sold my BMW 330d for a Model3LR, and i've never never looked back)
It what sense too late? They’ve had one of the best loved full EVs in the i3 for 7 years and seemingly selling today better than ever. You don’t like the i4, that’s fine, but not everybody wants what you want.

You’d be surprised how many radiators and cooling a Tesla has to managed the battery and the cabin temperatures

when they say 360 mile range I hear 200-250 between 20-80 charging stops on a road trip. Charging will still be the big elephant in the room whatever the car is like. I know that is not an issue for everyone but just saying.
Agree, and the negative stories with 3rd party chargers continue to mount. Ultimately it comes down to the wh/mile figure. Which is very good on the M3 range, particularly so given the performance on tap.

A lot of people like the M3 but not the look of the front. Looks like like a frog or a fish I have heard several times.
BMW: "hold my bier"
Now that you've said it, I fear I will not be able to get the image out of my head!

For me personally the M3 looks less appealing as you move to the rear, but I find that a lot people prefer that side.

At the end of day, you can always park with the preferred view facing your approach (tedious, I know!).

Anyways, glad to see some competition coming to market in the I4. Could still be generation off though as a full EV package, but let's see what the reviewers say.