Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i8-epa-750x481.jpg

2013_Chevrolet_Volt_EPA_sticker.png

The Chevy Volt EPA sticker shows 38 miles all electric range(AER)

The BMW i8 EPA sticker shows no AER. 15 miles electricity+gasoline and the rest gasoline only.

What the MPG is on sports cars like the i8 is really hard to determine.

The reason is the regenerative breaking. The Porshe 918 is a hybrid that never has to be charged, the massive breaking on a sports car recharches the car. In the interview the porsche guy says the electric engine never needs to be charged. The breaking alone will provide so much power to the EV engine that it is enough to keep it ful non-stop.

I found this fact extremely interesting.

The i8 needs to be recharged, but it will recharge a lot if you do a lot of breaking.

- - - Updated - - -

How could this be true when I heard over and over from Realists that i8 is a Tesla killer ?

The i8 is a light carbon sports cars, the tesla is a family sedan at about twice the weight but much more functionality, it's comparing apples and oranges.

Which car you prefer depends entirely on what you're looking for in a car, the i8 isn't a car to take the kids to school, the Tesla isn't a car to take on a track.

Depends on what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even going to give you "in it's price bracket." The i8 is a nonsensical set of compromises. It makes no sense at all to me. I wouldn't pay 40K for one. Why? What does it do that a conventional car doesn't, other than have sweet almost-Lambo doors and gee-whiz look at me styling? Honestly, I'd rather have a used Boxster. At least the top goes doesn't and you can shift it yourself.

I'm retaining a bit of an open mind--if and when I see someone really wring it out on a track AND demonstrate that it's performance remains consistent for more than a lap or two, I will retract some (though certainly not all) of my criticism.

I'll give you that the low weight is impressive. It would be even more impressive without the battery and electric motor. Put a decent ICE in the back and maybe it'd be a neat car.

As it is, it's like a screen-doored submarine. Jack of no trades, master of nothing.

(Mod note: some posts were moved to snippiness -- please be respectful)

And I would also be curious on how the i8 performs after the first couple miles of track time. Just based on the electric-assist range, seems that it would run out of e-assist in <5 miles of track driving -- assuming there's no thermal or battery discharge C-rate limiting before then.

BMW i8 vs Porsche 911 Carrera (2014) twin test review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

Perhaps this was posted up thread? In any event, the powertrain sounds intriguing, but I stand by what I said before--for my money, the 911 is the much more convincing sports car. And if the i8 isn't a sports car, what is it?

Edit: note the car being compared here is the base 3.4 911, not the S (which is a little bit closer in price).

The i8 is a fuel efficient Supercar-looking vehicle. Looks like a Supercar but falls short on the track like the Model S.

One answer could be that it doesn't matter, because current "supercar" (I am not sure which cars that term includes) buyers don't buy based on fuel efficiency.

But another answer could be that is only because no current offering is efficient; perhaps more people will buy more efficient models. For example, I never in a million years would have bought a Porsche 911 cabrio, even though I always wanted a car like that - I just couldn't justify the fuel use. I did buy a Tesla Roadster. I don't care how it performs on the track because I don't drive it there.

Of course now that I have a Roadster, the i8 is not efficient enough for me. But there may well be people out there that think it is. There doesn't have to be a lot of them, because the i8 is a halo car that is more about bringing people in to the showrooms rather than selling in quantity. And, hey, I probably will stop by a showroom to see it...

EPA ratings are out:

BMW i8 Gets EPA Rating: 15 Miles Electric Range , 76 MPGe, 28 MPG

Worst specs of any PHEV, even the PiP trounces it.

BMW did a much better job with the i3. If only it did not look so funny.

GSP

PS. AER is a big fat ZERO miles. I feel so sorry for anyone that bought this instead of a Tesla, or an i3, or anything really.

Well thanks.

The ratings are not realistic, the i8 can drive only electric.

Anyway 28mpg combined means it is 30% more efficient than a Corvette C7 or 911 Carrera S. So what?

.../ The Telegraph reports that there is a 10-month waiting period for the i8 in the UK, where one dealer (Park Lane in London's Mayfair) has managed to convince 170 people to place an order. Well, maybe convince isn't the right word. The store's sales manager told The Telegraph, "We've had numerous people asking to buy the display car. Many have said to me: name your price." Many locals want the car to avoid paying the expensive London congestion charge. /...

[My underline.]

BMW i8 now has 10-month waiting list in UK | autobloggreen

IMO, a model S would be better. But it's at least better then any other 2(+2) seater ICE.