Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely. You get full power for half a lap. Really pooped out after corner 11 on my TT lap at Refuel. Should have held back earlier in the lap.
Same. At Laguna you seem to get 90% of a lap in a P85. You'd be wise to try to hide that 10% somewhere in the middle of the course, rather than hitting the gas on up the straight to the finish and getting a whole lot of nothing. It took me too long into the day to figure that out. Still, I think I turned a 2:06 while limited (it was the third lap of my second session), which seems decent, considering... I wonder what our HP/TQ numbers are when limited to 160.

Same. At Laguna you seem to get 90% of a lap in a P85. You'd be wise to try to hide that 10% somewhere in the middle of the course, rather than hitting the gas on up the straight to the finish and getting a whole lot of nothing. It took me too long into the day to figure that out. Still, I think I turned a 2:06 while limited (it was the third lap of my second session), which seems decent, considering... I wonder what our HP/TQ numbers are when limited to 160.

I also did a 2:06 while limited. Trying to accelerate out of turn 11 to the finish turning the TT was PAINFULLY slow. I'm also curious what the HP/TQ rating is at that limit.

I didn't figure it out until the TT because I never got anything approaching a clean lap until then. Always ran into traffic. If I get another chance I'll definitely do it differently.

As I wrote, german magazines test with 2 persons and equipment. It did 4,3 under these conditions whereas the Model S did 4,7.

The Model S instant acceleration of the line is one of it's great strengths. We have seen videos here with the Model S outperfoming a Corvette C7. If the i8 can beat the Model S through the 1/4 it's certainly no lame duck.

Comparing the i8 to the Model S is ridiculous. Model S is a sedan that competes with the 5 or 7 series.

In any case, BMW is most likely doomed, because Honda Motor Co. will be releasing the Acura NSX in under a year: http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_spied_acura_nsx_prototype_keeps_concept_car_looks_bombs_the_ring.html

powered by a mid-engine V-6 mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and three electric motors: one for the rear wheels and one each for the front wheels for torque-vectoring under acceleration.

Honda rarely makes a dedicated sports car, but automobiles like the S2000 and original NSX were unparalleled by anything in their class.

I think BMW i8 has good chance to succeed because of the brand. Many high end buyers go with the known brand (buyer of Model s disagree, but that's okay).

People are buying higher-end models (pure gasoline cars) in the range of Model S, and all of them are not what people on the forum project. It is not my projection but look at the sales figure of high end cars (Model S has done well, but it is not like nobody is buying high end gasoline cars)

Definitely. You get full power for half a lap. Really pooped out after corner 11 on my TT lap at Refuel. Should have held back earlier in the lap.
Managing the limiter for a TT run is indeed the challenge. I wish I didn't have traffic on my run so I could see what my time would have been. I think I could have dropped a few seconds.

Predominantly positive.

.../ BMW could've taken the predictable route and developed another traditional halo car like the Audi R8 or Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, but instead doubled down on its philosophy of "Efficient Dynamics" and produced a sports car for today's more progressive driving enthusiast: the i8. /...

2014 BMW i8 Review - Kelley Blue Book - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
...about the scissor doors

'nothing says progressive like a 40 year old concept'

hmm
what a mess of a car, $26k for LV junk luggage says it all

positive? I guess. At the end he basically says anyone would buy other cars given the $ and choice.

Sorry, just really pissed at BMW for sucking so bad right now, they don't even know what is wrong w/ ours and don't know even how to diagnose it. pieces of junk

Last edited:
.../ [2] $26k for LV junk luggage says it all

positive? I guess. [1] At the end he basically says anyone would buy other cars given the $ and choice. /...

[My numbers within bracket parentheses.]
1. My interpretation is that that’s not quite what he’s saying. And what he is saying is merely his opinion. But then again I’m not sure I fully understand the meaning of “bar-room numbers generator”…

2. And the $26k ”LV junk luggage” isn’t mandatory… My guess is that it’s just an easy way to pull in more $#!t-loads of $$$...

Well that was an odd "review". He seemed to make fun of the cars odd compromises more than he had good things to say about it. Yes he liked the steering feel and the acceleration, but the almost total lack of luggage space, the tiny back seats, the minuscule 18 miles "real world" EV range, and the staggering price seemed to get more emphasis. He also fell into the common trap of believing that BMW "tuned" the exhaust to make the car "sound like a V8" (when in fact the exhaust sound is faked through the speakers) and he made a major mistake at the end when mentioning competing cars by saying that for "almost as much" money one could buy a Model S or ELR which are actually thirty to sixty thousand dollars cheaper. Not many of us consider that kind of price difference to be barely worth mentioning.

And I think the “bar-room numbers generator” reference is about buying a fast car so you can boast about the zero to sixty time...

Last edited:
…/ but the almost total lack of luggage space, the tiny back seats /…
A lot of cars have an almost total lack of luggage space and tiny – or zero – back seats. A contemporary offering that comes to mind is the Alfa Romeo 4C. Another one would be the Tesla Roadster…

…/ the minuscule 18 miles "real world" EV range /…
The argument for the i8 is probably not the EV range. Instead, the argument for the i8 is the EPA gas mileage numbers compared to cars with no EV component at all.

…/ (when in fact the exhaust sound is faked through the speakers) /…
X% of the sound. Not all of the sound.

…/ he made a major mistake at the end when mentioning competing cars by saying that for "almost as much" money one could buy a Model S or ELR which are actually thirty to sixty thousand dollars cheaper. Not many of us consider that kind of price difference to be barely worth mentioning. /...
I interpreted that part as a Model S AND an ELR for the same price as an i8. Not a Model S or an ELR…

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t view the i8 as a competitor to BEVs. I view the i8 as a competitor to ICE-cars. And hopefully it can serve as ‘gateway drug’ to get more people hooked on BEVs faster than they otherwise would be.

Last edited:
EPA ratings are out:

BMW i8 Gets EPA Rating: 15 Miles Electric Range , 76 MPGe, 28 MPG

Worst specs of any PHEV, even the PiP trounces it.

BMW did a much better job with the i3. If only it did not look so funny.

GSP

PS. AER is a big fat ZERO miles. I feel so sorry for anyone that bought this instead of a Tesla, or an i3, or anything really.

PPS. I think my comments above are too harsh. I do hope the BMW offers a software update allowing the 15 electric miles before the engine is started. I also hope the i8 owners enjoy their unique machines. They should be commended for buying PHEVs instead of yet another ICE supercar.

Last edited:
i8-epa-750x481.jpg