TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Body Colored Handles Instead off Chrome

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P85DBeast, Dec 13, 2015.

?

Think door handles should be body colored??

Poll closed Jan 2, 2016.
  1. Yes They Should be body colored

25.0%
  2. No They Shouldnt be body colored

75.0%
  1. P85DBeast

P85DBeast 3 Model S!! 85D,P85D,P100D

I cant tell you how many times ive been burnt by these door handles. So do you think that they should be body colored instead of the chrome that burns the crap out of your hands when its hot out....

2. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

They look kind of silly body colored, IMO.

My wife's P85 had them done yellow when she had her yellow wrap done. (Thread here: Glossy Yellow Wrap Completed ) Wasn't long before they were changed back to chrome. They were also still hot after sitting in the sun.

I also don't think the chrome color is the cause the heat anyway. Chrome is super reflective. It's that they're metal and transfer heat to your hand quickly. Maybe a layer of paint would add a little buffer, but not much.

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Chrome is highly reflective (0.7). Any color would absorb more sun and be hotter to the touch.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The S door handles are solid metal. If they are exposed to intense sun and high air temps for hours, that mass of metal can absorb a lot of heat. They are then very hot to the touch. Covering them with a wrap is unlikely to mitigate that.

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

I believe if they would be wrapped on the inside (pull surface) it would help. Less thermal conductivity to your hand through plastic wrap than straight hand on metal.

Still hot, but less burn.

6. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

How about a 3rd poll option: Tesla should address the issue with a simple fix?

Living in AZ this is a huge issue. About a year ago I got some black foam sheeting from Michaels craft store. It's about a mm thick. Cut to size, glued in with waterproof glue and it's worked great. Good as the day I installed, and completely cool to the touch no matter how hot the handle is. Hope this helps!

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Interesting that this subject comes up in the middle of December. However, I have the solution for this which should be in the TMC classifieds and my Etsy store later this week. I don't want my girls and wife burning their hands getting into the car, in a few months and I know there are other Tesla owners that have the same concerns.

8. cbin97

cbin97 Member

IMO the biggest design flaw of the model S is way too much chrome. I de-chromed mine within a month of owning and it looks so much cleaner and better. Again this is my opinion, but I am not alone as most exotic cars have little to no chrome anymore. The more expensive a Porsche gets the less chrome it has. GTS's have absolutely zero. Again I am not trying to start anything but as far as car design I think chrome is severely outdated.

9. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I can't argue with you. I guess I don't mind it too much look wise, but I will say the reflection off of the rear view mirror mounts etc, can be blinding when the sun hits them the wrong way. For this alone, I'd go for less chrome...

10. David99

David99 Active Member

A car needs handles as much as a phone needs physical buttons on the front display.

11. Simian

Simian Member

My understanding is that, everything else being equal, there are three primary factors that determine how hot a surface feels in the sun:

1) Solar Reflectance: the fraction of incident solar energy which is reflected by the surface

2) Thermal Emittance: the ability of a hot material to shed its heat in the form of infrared radiation

3) Thermal Conductivity: the ability of a material to transfer heat through direct contact

Polished chrome and polished aluminum have high reflectance, but also have very low emittance and high thermal conductivity. So, even though they do not absorb as much energy from the sun per second compared to other materials, they cannot shed the heat energy and eventually become very hot. Furthermore, their high thermal conductivity causes the heat to transfer quickly to your hand.

Painting or adding a coat of plastic will reduce the thermal conductivity so that door handles at the same temperature will feel less hot to the touch. And adding a coat of paint to the polished metal will typically reduce the reflectance but will also significantly increase the emittance so, depending on the scenario, the overall temperature may actually be reduced (c.f., white painted metal roofs are often significantly cooler than bare metal roofs).